Southern Cuisine In Chiang Mai.

lsk

Hmm.. tough to find that as a sit-down proper dinner kind of experience. The same applies to Jay vegan food and (to a lesser extent) local Muang food: loads of places sell it around lunch time, but harder as a dinner option.

I tried Google though and it turned up this place: http://www.dininggui...chiang-mai.html I've been there before and it was okay, but didn't strike me as particularly Southern at the time, though I wasn't specifically looking for it at the time. Was quite a while ago however. Another link: https://www.facebook.com/JanhomChiangMai

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Here's a place worth mentioning...not really a sit down place but for to go...it's inside Taalat Ruam Choke. Coming from the city turn in to the parking lot before 7-11 - (not at the far end of the market). Go down about 100 or so meters, Mee Mee Burmese cafe is on the left, pass the two motorcycle shops and on the left you will see the only place selling food in that area. The lady is a fantastic cook! She is from Nakhon Sri Thammarat. The g/f was born in, and lived in Hat Yai for 15 years and she is very picky about Southern food. She loves this lady's cooking. The place is always packed (there are few tables but zero ambiance). On weekends the place is super busy, people are queued up and some order enough food from her to feed 20 people. She cooks all day long so the food never runs out until close to closing and is available from about 12:00-20:30. She usually has about 12 different dishes available each day. But use extreme caution as the food is unbelievably spicy! I stick with the Phanaeng curry as it's not too bad. She also offers delicious gai tort Hat Yai which is not only sold there but her brother sells it out in the front next to 7-11 too.

So, zero ambiance but great food. Too spicy for most...

• Like 1

if you go from the main police station on rajadaemmon rd to city hall on the road that has and is names after the prison you will pass a shop that is authentic southern thai food before coming to intrawororot rd they have tables across from the shop on the sidewalk. as is the custom you get a big plate of greens with dipping sauce with every meal.all is precooked and and served on rice from about 10 am to 6 pm.