Son Et Lumiere At Vieng Khum Kam Tonight

Greenside

The event THEY don't want you to know about (judging from the total lack of publicity, anyway).

At wat E-Kang (N18 45.000 E098 59.960) which is about 3Km from Airport Plaza in the Saraphi direction, tonight at 7:00 a one off Son et Lumiere telling the story of the original settlement of Chiang Mai in Vieng Khum Kam. They've got lights, they've got sound (a lot of it), they've got horses, they've got elephants, they've got fire trucks to simulate the floods and they've got about 300 students in costume.

We caught part of the dress rehearsal last night (hard not to from where I live) and for a one night (apparently secret) performance they've put a lot of effort into it. I'm told the mayor is coming

It's an hour long and free to watch. Oh yes, it's in Thai but kids will probably be entertained and there will the usual food stalls there too.

ibbkULwqGScEZ2.jpg

ibb3LBByN030RS.jpg

Edited by Greenside
  • Like 1

Thanks for that information.

Went along and found it quite interesting.

My Thai friend certainly enjoyed it, but thought it should have been in Nirthern Thai rather than Central Thai.

Nice selection of foods at reasonable prices - very spicy Chiangmai sausage!

Great photos Greenside. The Thais really know how to put on a celebration. I am still amazed at the King's parade each December, and fondly recall the SEA Games at the 700 Year stadium a decade or so past. thumbsup.gif

I missed the Son et Lumière show again. Last year it was 'snuck' by the general public too.

Anecdotal-ly I hear this is meant for only a select group. A shame really, for the Thai public, farang, and tourists alike - probably has to do with crowd management. Still, would go a long way to countering the less than stellar Phuket publicity.