Getting A 60 Day Tourist Visa From Thai Embassy In London?

Hi,

I am travelling to Thailand on an one-way ticket in a couple of weeks time with the intention of spending between 60 and 90 days in the country before travelling elsewhere in the region (Malaysia, Vietnam etc.) for the following few months.

I then have a one way air ticket booked from Hong Kong to LAX for mid-June. I intend to return to the UK in mid-July.

From what I can surmise, I should look to get a 60 day tourist visa from the Thai embassy in London and then extend it by another 30 days when in the country. I can show them proof of my air ticket into Thailand and also the one I booked from Hong Kong in June but I am wondering if I am likely to get any trouble from the staff due to (a) my flight from the UK to Thailand not being a return or (B) not already having an onward one-way ticket from Thailand within 60 days (not exactly possible at this time since I don't have a precise date of departure and it would likely be between 60 to 90 days after arrival i.e after securing the visa extension).

If anyone has experience of dealing with this, it would be very helpful - don't want to make a wasted journey into London!

One other question - assuming I get my visa OK, am I likely to get any grief from check-in staff at Heathrow re: lack of onward flight within the visa period?

Cheers :-)

You do not have to visit London - there are seven consulates located in UK providing mail service (or walk-in) that can be used. London Embassy makes no mention of a ticket requirement but some Embassies are very strict on show of a departing flight and they have the option to ask more than listed on web site. As said there should not be any problem with travel after visa is obtained.

You do not have to visit London - there are seven consulates located in UK providing mail service (or walk-in) that can be used. London Embassy makes no mention of a ticket requirement but some Embassies are very strict on show of a departing flight and they have the option to ask more than listed on web site. As said there should not be any problem with travel after visa is obtained.

indeed, unless you live in london i would try to avoid the schlep into town and use the recorded delivery postal service to one of the other thai consulates. i've always found it really efficient.

indeed, unless you live in london i would try to avoid the schlep into town and use the recorded delivery postal service to one of the other thai consulates. i've always found it really efficient.

And the price would likely be cheaper too as you still have to pay a tenner if you do it in person. I get my visa while in Merseyside which is only a bus and short train ride away from the Liverpool Thai Embassy but the cost of said bus and train return is higher than the outward postage cost. Inbound it is included in the tenner. I always send mine to Hull anyway.

Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I'm actually based in Surrey so the London embassy is nearest to me. Also I'm leaving in just over a week so need to visit in person.

I just called them now and the charming lady I spoke with said there was no need to prove the onward flight if British. Hopefully, this is correct info - will find out tomorrow when I go!

Cheers,

Mark

Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I'm actually based in Surrey so the London embassy is nearest to me. Also I'm leaving in just over a week so need to visit in person.

I just called them now and the charming lady I spoke with said there was no need to prove the onward flight if British. Hopefully, this is correct info - will find out tomorrow when I go!

Cheers,

Mark

I wish you good fortune though I seriously doubt you will need it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for the replies.

In the event, I had to show nothing more than my passport and £25 cash, plus a completed application form (I downloaded it from their website and completed it in advance, though they had copies in the office as well ) and 2 passport photos (must be within last 6 months!)

The visa is ready to collect from the next working day, but only between 11am and midday Mon-Fri. Applications are taken 9am - midday Mon-Fri.

Cheers,

Mark