Marriage In Laos, Need Stay There 3 Months, Which Visa And How To Get It ?

Hello,

my girlfriend in Laos and I we finally decided to go for the real thing and go get married.

There are different ways to do this, in and outside Laos and first of all we prefer the Laos option. The local law requieres me to stay there for 3 months. I don't know any other visa then the 30 day one at the border. Perhaps someone can explain how to obtains for the 3 months visa ?

The right information will be highly appreciated !

Edited by rubberduck

My GF is from Laos too. I've never heard of a requirement to have lived together in Laos or 3 months. However, I have heard that there are many other hoops to jump through, involving the "authorities" and village headmen, and some serious cash required. I would imagine it's far easier to get married in Thailand, assuming the required documents from Laos are obtained.

Hopefully some BMs who have successfully married a Lao national can post on this thread!

My GF is from Laos too. I've never heard of a requirement to have lived together in Laos or 3 months. However, I have heard that there are many other hoops to jump through, involving the "authorities" and village headmen, and some serious cash required. I would imagine it's far easier to get married in Thailand, assuming the required documents from Laos are obtained.

Hopefully some BMs who have successfully married a Lao national can post on this thread!

You simply pay an agent around $3000 (100,000 Baht) and it's a piece of cake. You will have to have an HIV and TB test, prove you are not already married and have a letter from your embassy to say you are not wanted by the police. You sign a document that states you are not a terrorist and go to the registry office and do the deed. Some have tried to do the process independently, it takes a lot of paperwork, costs you more in the long run (tea money), and can take up to 2 years. You have to get permission from all 12 ministries and even the Prime Minister himself.

PM if you need the agent's contact details

HA! Your last sentence "the right information will be highly appreciated" says it all ---- Indeed, the required documents for marriage vary slightly from ministry to ministry and department to department. In any case, the first step in the whole process is to go to the municipality (city hall) in Vientiane, assuming you are in Vientiane, if not, then where ever you are, to get a list of things you need to do and obtain (by the way, you have to pay for the list-- 50,000 kip!); but some other departments have their own list which is either a revised version or out of date version of the list you get at the city hall; after going through several steps surprisingly easily, we got to one office who insisted I needed a letter from my 84 year old mother giving me permission to get married!! That's just one example. So regarding the required three month stay in Laos before you can get married, I never heard that one and believe me we spent a lot of time on this.

Anyway.... the Police seem to be the big hurdle as you need to go through several layers of officialdom, each asking for a tip before giving you the papers and stamps needed for the next level up with no guarentee of passing the next level... We paid... and lost... $200 just at the Vientiane Municipal Police (the same guys who abducted Sombath).

Long story short: we finally gave up and got married in my home country. Even the expensive international air tickets and the ardous journey home seemed well worth it; got to my country, signed one paper, paid much less than the tips we had given the Lao police, even less than the translation per document ($10 per page) we needed from the ministry of justice, raised our hands and now we have a beautiful marriage certificate from a legitmate country and administration.

Re marriage in Thailand, I looked into that in depth too; your wife-to-be still needs lots of paper work from Laos which then has to be approved and red-stamped by the Lao embassy in Bangkok.

You might want to let one of these legal agencies handle it for you. I believe the going rate is around $2000. It might be worth it. We didn't want to go that route because we wanted to do it ourselves rather than pay some one else to fill in documents for us. On hindsight, the agency route might have been worthwhile but I am very glad I now have a marriage certificate from my country rather than the Lao PDR. Kind of seems like the difference between a bona fide college degree and one you can buy on Kao San Road.

Bottom line: it's a racket.

Good luck.

HA! Your last sentence "the right information will be highly appreciated" says it all ---- Indeed, the required documents for marriage vary slightly from ministry to ministry and department to department. In any case, the first step in the whole process is to go to the municipality (city hall) in Vientiane, assuming you are in Vientiane, if not, then where ever you are, to get a list of things you need to do and obtain (by the way, you have to pay for the list-- 50,000 kip!); but some other departments have their own list which is either a revised version or out of date version of the list you get at the city hall; after going through several steps surprisingly easily, we got to one office who insisted I needed a letter from my 84 year old mother giving me permission to get married!! That's just one example. So regarding the required three month stay in Laos before you can get married, I never heard that one and believe me we spent a lot of time on this.

Anyway.... the Police seem to be the big hurdle as you need to go through several layers of officialdom, each asking for a tip before giving you the papers and stamps needed for the next level up with no guarentee of passing the next level... We paid... and lost... $200 just at the Vientiane Municipal Police (the same guys who abducted Sombath).

Long story short: we finally gave up and got married in my home country. Even the expensive international air tickets and the ardous journey home seemed well worth it; got to my country, signed one paper, paid much less than the tips we had given the Lao police, even less than the translation per document ($10 per page) we needed from the ministry of justice, raised our hands and now we have a beautiful marriage certificate from a legitmate country and administration.

Re marriage in Thailand, I looked into that in depth too; your wife-to-be still needs lots of paper work from Laos which then has to be approved and red-stamped by the Lao embassy in Bangkok.

You might want to let one of these legal agencies handle it for you. I believe the going rate is around $2000. It might be worth it. We didn't want to go that route because we wanted to do it ourselves rather than pay some one else to fill in documents for us. On hindsight, the agency route might have been worthwhile but I am very glad I now have a marriage certificate from my country rather than the Lao PDR. Kind of seems like the difference between a bona fide college degree and one you can buy on Kao San Road.

Good luck.

So are you legally married in Laos?

Good luck.

So are you legally married in Laos?

That would be my question as well. If you were to stay with your wife in Laos would your marriage be recognised by the Lao authorities/police?

My marriage certificate is "attested" by the US Department of State as authentic, with a very nice addendum with a raised seal and "signed" by Hillary Clinton. I took that to the Lao Min of Foreign Affairs, paid about 50,000 kip, and now have a stamp on the back of the US State Dept page with a stamp from Lao min of foreign affairs. So... yes, I feel confident my marriage is recognized in Laos.

My marriage certificate is "attested" by the US Department of State as authentic, with a very nice addendum with a raised seal and "signed" by Hillary Clinton. I took that to the Lao Min of Foreign Affairs, paid about 50,000 kip, and now have a stamp on the back of the US State Dept page with a stamp from Lao min of foreign affairs. So... yes, I feel confident my marriage is recognized in Laos.

All well and good but I believe the OP wishes to get married in Laos.

Thanks for this. It is interesting that marrying a Lao national in a western country is straightforward, particularly if she needed no offical Lao paperwork to satisfy the American officials, and good to know that the marriage can be recognised by Laos officialdom (presumably this was by the Laos Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the US?).

It certainly seems to save the costs and red-tape hassle of marrying in Laos, although having to get the relevant visa to the US is an extra hassle.

It would still be good to know, first-hand, the process for marrying a Lao citizen in Thailand.

Yes, I realize the OP prefers to get married in Laos and that the OP's original question was about marriage in Laos: there are some good things about getting married in Laos.

I know some people who have successfully done it after a year sometimes two. Keep trying and it should work out. I made a decision to forgo the Lao process and do it in the US due to personal circumstances at the time. I'm glad I made that decision at the time.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. Re your original question about the three month visa thing, ................................................................................................................ . . . . . . . . .

Yes, I realize the OP prefers to get married in Laos and that the OP's original question was about marriage in Laos: there are some good things about getting married in Laos.

I know some people who have successfully done it after a year sometimes two. Keep trying and it should work out. I made a decision to forgo the Lao process and do it in the US due to personal circumstances at the time. I'm glad I made that decision at the time.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. Re your original question about the three month visa thing, ................................................................................................................ . . . . . . . . .

If you use the correct agent it doesn't take a year or two! I did the whole process in a month. The biggest pain in the a_se was getting the police report from England.

Here's something else the OP might want to consider: get engaged in Laos, which is very, very easy compared to getting married. Getting engaged is the first necessary step anyway. Getting engaged is actually a legal process and engagement is a legal status and you will have papers proving your are engaged. Also have a baci and take some formal photos. If the police ever hassle you, show them the engagement papers and the baci photos and they might leave you in peace; although a few thousand kip for Beer Lao and noodles always smooths the deal.

Here's something else the OP might want to consider: get engaged in Laos, which is very, very easy compared to getting married. Getting engaged is the first necessary step anyway. Getting engaged is actually a legal process and engagement is a legal status and you will have papers proving your are engaged. Also have a baci and take some formal photos. If the police ever hassle you, show them the engagement papers and the baci photos and they might leave you in peace; although a few thousand kip for Beer Lao and noodles always smooths the deal.

Good idea but bad advice I'm afraid.

When you get engaged in Laos your file is now a piece of hot property for the dodgy local policeman. I have known 4 people (myself included) who got engaged to be married, 2 weeks later comes a knock on the door. Hello Mr. Farang you are living illegally with a Laotian, please cough up 2000 USD or pack your bags and leave the country. sad.png

Yeah, you're right. That is a possibility. I knew one farang/Lao couple and the police showed up in the middle of the night, invited themselves in and sat down at the table and placed a gun on the table and proceeded to ask for the money.

All very interesting but I'd still like to know if anyone has married a Lao girl in Thailand, and, if so, was it straightforward and is it recognised in Laos?

Also, what's the situation if an unmarried western/Lao couple living together in Thailand have a baby? What happens when the (unmarried) couple take the baby back to Laos to visit the grandparents?

All very interesting but I'd still like to know if anyone has married a Lao girl in Thailand, and, if so, was it straightforward and is it recognised in Laos?

Also, what's the situation if an unmarried western/Lao couple living together in Thailand have a baby? What happens when the (unmarried) couple take the baby back to Laos to visit the grandparents?

Your first question I wouldn't know.

For your second question, nothing would 'happen'.

If the unmarried couple were to stay together and the police knew they were unmarried there might be a problem. Let's put it in perspective though.

I only got caught because I was living with my now ex wife for 3 years without being married, until a pis_ed off ex employee decided he wanted some money from us so went and did a deal with a local bent copper. In the end they got $500 from me. No big deal.

It's when a foreigner puts in an application for marriage that the local police seem to come sniffing around in the hope of a payout.

Your first question I wouldn't know.

For your second question, nothing would 'happen'.

If the unmarried couple were to stay together and the police knew they were unmarried there might be a problem. Let's put it in perspective though.

I only got caught because I was living with my now ex wife for 3 years without being married, until a pis_ed off ex employee decided he wanted some money from us so went and did a deal with a local bent copper. In the end they got $500 from me. No big deal.

It's when a foreigner puts in an application for marriage that the local police seem to come sniffing around in the hope of a payout.

Thanks. It would seem that marrying in Laos is the problem, so best to stay unmarried or marry in my home country or Thailand. I can't see us ever living in Laos together, so it's unlikely to be an issue. I wouldn't want to have problems on visits to Laos though!

I suspect that marriage to a Lao in Thailand is not straightforward, as official documentation from Laos will no doubt be required. Hopefully someone with experience of this will post soon.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

Who told you that you have to stay in Laos for 3 months after getting married? Never heard of this 'law'.

Is it a new regulation?

I recently read an article in Vientiane Times (2-3 months ago) mentioning a change in marriage law to reduce human trafficking. It clearly explained that the foreigner needs to be in Laos for 3 months prior to getting married. Sorry, I can't find the source but the article had to do with human trafficking.

below, article about marrying-or-divorcing-a-lao-citizen:

http://jclao.com/marrying-or-divorcing-a-lao-citizen/

The information in the above posts is generally correct, you can go with an agent or do it on your own; Personnally I have found from my friends that it's a painfull and expensive process, so I stuck with the Baci and so far so good. Experiences will vary greatly from person to person... prices as well, anywhere from 2-4 k$

Also, one of my married friends was required to ask authorization to the ministry of foreign affairs each time he takes his wife out of the country (ie Europe, not thailand...), you might want to verify this with above ministry / lawyer.

Then of course there is the eventuality of divorce...

I don't have kids so I see no reason to get married, unless I am completely comfortable with it, which I am not although I've been with my 'wife' for almost 4 years.

Oh, and as mentioned above, once you start the process be very cautious, there will be a bunch of people after you trying to 'catch' you and pay up...

Good Luck and think this through...

The 3 month requirement to live in Laos prior to marriage is not a law that has been approved. The article you refer to is jibberish news only. My girlfriend is Laos and I enquired with friends of hers that are professors at the university in Vientiane. They have written many books about Laos and are respected professors. Each law in Laos is accompanied by an Article number. Good luck on your marriage in Laos!

• Like 1

Who told you that you have to stay in Laos for 3 months after getting married? Never heard of this 'law'.

Is it a new regulation?

I recently read an article in Vientiane Times (2-3 months ago) mentioning a change in marriage law to reduce human trafficking. It clearly explained that the foreigner needs to be in Laos for 3 months prior to getting married. Sorry, I can't find the source but the article had to do with human trafficking.

http://jclao.com/mar...-a-lao-citizen/

The information in the above posts is generally correct, you can go with an agent or do it on your own; Personnally I have found from my friends that it's a painfull and expensive process, so I stuck with the Baci and so far so good. Experiences will vary greatly from person to person... prices as well, anywhere from 2-4 k$

Also, one of my married friends was required to ask authorization to the ministry of foreign affairs each time he takes his wife out of the country (ie Europe, not thailand...), you might want to verify this with above ministry / lawyer.

I don't have kids so I see no reason to get married, unless I am completely comfortable with it, which I am not although I've been with my 'wife' for almost 4 years.

Oh, and as mentioned above, once you start the process be very cautious, there will be a bunch of people after you trying to 'catch' you and pay up...

But if you don't get married are you "legally" allowed to live together in Laos?

I am officially married in Laos by Lao law with help of a agent so I didn't have the hassle to go around and do all the talking myself regarding tea money to speed up the whole process. It took less then a year to be officially married, but more because me and my present wife where not always in the country when a appointment came to show up. A friend of mine also living in Vientiane use the same agent and had the whole paperwork don in less then 6 months.I am living in Lao

I am working and living a little more then 7 years in Laos

first of all there is no need to stay 3 months in Laos regarding a marriage.

second check the US embassy website for the list for all documents needed.

The first step by the village chief is easy and then you have to get engaged this can be only a formality or a real small party

after this I start using a agent and at that time 4 years ago I did pay 1000 USD , but I hear now these days it's about 2000 Usd for the whole process

If you want to get married in your home country that is easy a few documents for you Lao gf and then back in Laos let the marriage register/approve the other way around as I did it is also no problem after I got my official document here is Laos I make a copy send it to the department in my home country and could choose a marriage book or a international certificate.

If you have any plans to live in Laos I would advise to do marriage by Lao law.

cheers.

• Like 2

Is it a new regulation?

http://jclao.com/mar...-a-lao-citizen/

But if you don't get married are you "legally" allowed to live together in Laos?

NO.

• 3 weeks later...
Get married in Thailand. Easy!
BB Not quite so easy, still need a letter of "freedom to marry" from the Lao Embassy here in Bangkok. Which might raise the Q there, why not get it back in Vientiane. Mac

My plan would be to marry in Thailand. Surely the 'freedom to marry' letter will be easier to get from the Laos Embassy in Bangkok (they must do it regularly) than in Laos. My GF is from Pakse not Vientiene.

You could probably get it at the Lao consulate in Khon Kaen as well.

Laotian Consulate General in Khon Kaen, Thailand

171 / 102-103 Prachasamosorn Road

Amphoe Mueang

Khon Kaen 40000

Thailand Telephone (+66) 43 242 858 / 6 Telefax (+66) 43 244 918

Edited by ubonjoe

• 1 month later...

Some very useful information here, many thanks folks ! In the meanwhile we decided to outsource the paperwork cuz it's very time-consuming and even not sure how many months it's gonna take. Back home I've got my obligations as well. The party will be after the paperwork has started, and a little honeymoon to the Gulf of Thai.

Send from my Nokia 3310