Electric Citrus Juicer?

sante

I make my own lemonade although now in Thailand it's limeade. When in California I had an electric citrus juicer like the one in the attached photo but I can't find anything similar here. I've been using a manual device but my hand is getting sore from squeezing so many small limes. Any suggestions for sellers especially around CMU area or Kad Suan Kaew? Thanks.

post-113125-0-99269900-1358933077.jpg

Seems like most electric appliances you get here are cheap Chinese krap and I am slowly switching my appliances to manual ............after going thru 3 electric coffee grinders, I got an old fashioned hand cranked one that will outlast me.

same same with citrus juicers. have you tried the molded aluminum ones with a handle that you just pull down and with the leverage it squeezes the juice out with minimum effort?? most of the juice vendors use them, because they work good and only have one moving part, unbreakable and easy to clean.

• Like 2

My suggestion, Sante, is to go to Homepro (which has several branches in Chiang Mai). They have the biggest selection of such appliances and the best prices. Why limit yourself to a citrus juicer, though? They're easy to juice. Carrots and apples are also very healthy and of course more difficult because they are harder.

I bought a Philips juicer and it's fantastic; Homepro also has Electrolux products and a cheaper knock off version of the Philips made in China. You get what you pay for.

Thanks for the suggestions. I live near Huay Kaew Road and have been avoiding travel because the heavy CMU graduation traffic but that's over now. I'll check out the recommended places next week.

My recipe for Limeade: (all measurements are approximate)

5 cups of boiled water, juice of 6 fat limes, 1/2 carton of coconut sugar purchased at Tesco Express, and 1 Earl Grey teabag.

Mix all together and refrigerate. Refreshing in hot weather and healthy with high vitamin C content. Also good with vodka.

Thanks for the suggestions. I live near Huay Kaew Road and have been avoiding travel because the heavy CMU graduation traffic but that's over now. I'll check out the recommended places next week.

My recipe for Limeade: (all measurements are approximate)

5 cups of boiled water, juice of 6 fat limes, 1/2 carton of coconut sugar purchased at Tesco Express, and 1 Earl Grey teabag.

Mix all together and refrigerate. Refreshing in hot weather and healthy with high vitamin C content. Also good with vodka.

Sounds good but what is "coconut sugar"? Same as coconut milk? Could you use honey instead?

Sounds good but what is "coconut sugar"? Same as coconut milk? Could you use honey instead?

When I made the drink in California I always used honey but found that coconut sugar tastes just as good and costs less. It's a tan colored paste. I've attached a photo of the container. Actually, I don't know what it is--if the sweetener is really extracted from coconuts. Maybe the brand name is Coconut Sugar?

post-113125-0-86808800-1359450554_thumb.

When I just looked up "palm sugar" on Wikipedia I found this:

Palm sugar should not be confused with coconut sugar, which is made from the sap of cut flower buds of the coconut palm, instead of from the sap of the tree itself.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

if you roll the lime on a hard surface it will break up the fibers and make it much easier to juice and yield more.

If done properly before cutting open and juicing then a power juicer is hardly needed.

Shopping for better limes is important also. A lot of cheap limes are hard as rocks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=roll+limes+to+get+more+juice&oq=roll+limes+to+get+more+juice&aqs=chrome.0.57j62.4998j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I ended up buying a manual ceramic gadget at Tops that squeezes the halved limes but after a short time one of the handles broke off. By applying pressure to the cup part and being careful not to cut myself on the jagged broken handle I was still able to use it. My routine was to boil water, let it cool somewhat and then dunk the limes in for a few minutes to wash off pesticides and soften them. Then I'd squeeze.

Right now I'm in China but when I return to Chiang Mai I'll go to Chiang Mai Plastics at Warorot Market (Kad Luang) where I saw metal citrus juicers that should be stronger than the Tops ceramic ones.

I wish I had done that before I came to Yangshuo China so I wouldn't have to start a new search here.

I ended up buying a manual ceramic gadget at Tops that squeezes the halved limes but after a short time one of the handles broke off. By applying pressure to the cup part and being careful not to cut myself on the jagged broken handle I was still able to use it. My routine was to boil water, let it cool somewhat and then dunk the limes in for a few minutes to wash off pesticides and soften them. Then I'd squeeze.

Right now I'm in China but when I return to Chiang Mai I'll go to Chiang Mai Plastics at Warorot Market (Kad Luang) where I saw metal citrus juicers that should be stronger than the Tops ceramic ones.

I wish I had done that before I came to Yangshuo China so I wouldn't have to start a new search here.

The teakwood ones they make here are nice looking, strong and do a good job. Been using one for many years.

have you tried the molded aluminum ones with a handle that you just pull down and with the leverage it squeezes the juice out with minimum effort?? most of the juice vendors use them, because they work good and only have one moving part, unbreakable and easy to clean.

Aluminium is leached by the citric acid in fruits. I quite can't remember why it's considered toxic with chronic exposure...

Why buy an electric gadget here in CM where these questionable quality things tend to not have a very extended service life?

Also, why wake up your neighbors when you turn on one of these things at 6:00 in the morning? Or whenever?

Obviously the DIY option is your best bet so that you don't get ripped off at one of the local juicer machine outlets.

Making a press is not too difficult and it will last forever, there are a few different designs and here is one I just found, though probably not the best you can find with a short Google search:

http://www.ehow.com/way_5347989_diy-fruit-press.html

If this were grapes and not lemons you are talking about, then all you would need is a bucket and a few pairs of bare feet.

When choosing a design, remember to keep it simple.

Happy Stomping!

O.C. Ham