'2 Rohingya Trained By R K K Muslim Insurgents'

Lite Beer

'2 Rohingya trained by RKK Muslim insurgents'

Piyanuch Thamnukasetchai

The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Illegals admitted training for attacks in South: forensic official

Some Rohingya migrants arrested for illegal entry have confessed to being trained by insurgents to undertake attacks in the restive deep South, according to a highly-placed source in the Justice Ministry's Forensic Science Institute.

The source said the men had entered Thailand through Mae Sot in northern Tak province and later moved to Sungai Kolok in Narathiwat in the far south. Their case was discovered in 2009.

"These two men confessed that they were trained by the RKK and later were sent back to carry out attacks in the southern border provinces. This is very worrying," the source said.

RKK refers to the armed wing of the deep South insurgent movement. It stands for Runda Kumpulan Kecil, a Malay name that means "small patrol groups".

The source, whose agency examines forensic evidence involving insurgency-related cases in the strife-torn region, said that without a clear government policy on how to deal with illegal Rohingya migrants, there could be a threat to national security.

In 2009, a number of Rohingya carrying Malaysian ID cards were arrested after having carried out attacks in the southern border provinces, according to the source. "But a case like this was not common," the source said.

Authorities also found that some illegal immigrants had smuggled explosive substances from India, she said.

The source said it was possible the illegal immigrants got help from smuggling rings to transport them from border areas to other parts of the country. "Many Rohingya are smuggled to the coastal provinces of Satun and Ranong, and some of them are sent to Malaysia."

A source at the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc) yesterday denied having such information about Rohingya in Thailand.

Blood tests on the latest group of more than 800 Rohingya migrants being detained in the South found some had used narcotic substances, according to the Forensic Science Institute source. However, no traces of explosive substances were found on their bodies.

She said traces of narcotics were detected "on many occasions" in the Royingha migrants illegally entering the country - both by boat and on land through the porous borders between Thailand and Myanmar. However, she added, there has been no information that the Rohingya are involved with drug smuggling gangs.

A total of 1,390 illegal Rohingya migrants have been arrested this year - 1,184 of them men and 206 women, according to official statistics.

Human rights groups have urged the Thai government not to deport the Rohingya, many of who have fled ethnic fighting and dire hardship in Myanmar.

A source close to the defence minister said no new refugee camp would be set up specifically for the Rohingya. They would be moved to the nine existing camps for Myanmar refugees along the Thai-Myanmar border, according to the source.

The nine camps for displaced people who have fled fighting in Myanmar are located in the western border provinces of Tak, Mae Hong Son, Ratchaburi, and Kanchanaburi. There are about 130,000 people in the camps, which were first set up 29 years ago. Most of the refugees are ethnic Karen, but there are also Karenni and Mon, plus a number of Shan, Chin, Kachin and Burmese Muslims.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-27

The 'source' seems to have the inside on all this so what would the 'source' actually do about it? Dredging up old news does not mean these people are associated with RKK, but I am sure if anyone gave them only one choice to stay by telling them to hack off a few heads, they may well shrug their shoulders and comply. After all, we are all infidels in their eyes.

I am not one to question the integrity of the government, but I am wondering:

1. What language was used by the insurgents to train the two Rohingyas?

2. Were they trained after they were sold by authorities?

3. The blood tests which showed narcotic use was done for what purpose? Hopefully for health reason.

If they are trained by locals, then it would seem the problem is the local insurgents, not the Rohingyas. I have a feeling that since these people no longer represent a lucrative business, they will be deemed the most evil people on earth, spreading terrorism, drugs and corrupting the morals of the nation. No doubt they will to be done away with quicker than a cobra in a school yard.

• Like 2

Another racist xenophobic rant from those who know nothing but fear everything. Plainly trained at the P.T P. .school of Goebbels journalism..

Why has it taken some 4 years for this report to surface ?,

The 'source' must have been scraping the bottom of the xenophobic racist barrels to find such a report.

Edited by siampolee

3. The blood tests which showed narcotic use was done for what purpose? Hopefully for health reason.

If they are trained by locals, then it would seem the problem is the local insurgents, not the Rohingyas. I have a feeling that since these people no longer represent a lucrative business, they will be deemed the most evil people on earth, spreading terrorism, drugs and corrupting the morals of the nation. No doubt they will to be done away with quicker than a cobra in a school yard.

With all due respect the term traces was used. This suggests that there was not reliable evidence. A trace indication can arise from any number of legitimate reasons, one of which is contamination of the sample.

In any case, I do not consider torture and/or beatings to be a reliable method of obtaining a confession.

Edited by geriatrickid

Can they be sent to Iran or Iraq? Let their Arab fundamentalist brothers take care of them.

These people are persecuted, stateless human beings, not terrorists. The trouble in Iraq is between Sunni and Shia, most fundamentalists have found causes elsewhere. Iranians are Persian by the way.
  • Like 2

Looks like the government is going to follow that tried and tested route - demonization. Works in the West. Edited by BirdsandBooze

So exactly why is everyone so dismissive about the possibility of rohingya being connected to terrorism. I am not saying they are. Not saying they're not. I recognize I am not an expert on terrorism or the situation in Myanmar. Anyone here have counter intelligence experience? Anyone work for Mossad, CIA, or Interpol? How about this: Anyone here ever met a rohingya? So how do we know that some (not saying all of them) have terrorist links? So why do we think that what Thai officials are saying is lies. I mean if you have a legitimate basis of knowledge speak up. Otherwise you're just guessing that you're being lied to and it's just a bunch of people spouting an opinion with no basis. All I know is that if I google the terms "rohingya" and "terrorism" I can find articles (even one by the us state department) which suggest their may be some links. And these sources are not Thai so it's not a case of Thais demonizong the rohingya. There may actually be a basis.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohingya_conflict_in_Western_Burma

Edited by submaniac
  • Like 1

The Nation on....

...according to a highly-placed source....

The source said....

This is very worrying," the source said.

The source, whose agency examines.....

.....according to the source. "But a case like this was not common," the source said.

The source said it was possible....

A source at the Internal Security Operations Command......

A source close to the defence minister said..........according to the source.

Quite the deep throat, that "source". :rolleyes:

• Like 1

So exactly why is everyone so dismissive about the possibility of rohingya being connected to terrorism. I am not saying they are. Not saying they're not. I recognize I am not an expert on terrorism or the situation in Myanmar. Anyone here have counter intelligence experience? Anyone work for Mossad, CIA, or Interpol? How about this: Anyone here ever met a rohingya? So how do we know that some (not saying all of them) have terrorist links? So why do we think that what Thai officials are saying is lies. I mean if you have a legitimate basis of knowledge speak up. Otherwise you're just guessing that you're being lied to and it's just a bunch of people spouting an opinion with no basis. All I know is that if I google the terms "rohingya" and "terrorism" I can find articles (even one by the us state department) which suggest their may be some links. And these sources are not Thai so it's not a case of Thais demonizong the rohingya. There may actually be a basis.

http://en.m.wikipedi...n_Western_Burma

Still up to your demonising tricks I see. There may or may not be a link but the article in question doesn't present any evidence of a real link between the Rohingya refugees and the southern insurgents.

You could make a similar tenuous case for Canadians because one or two were involved in the Algerian hostage crisis. And it would be just as ridiculous.

• Like 1

Can they be sent to Iran or Iraq? Let their Arab fundamentalist brothers take care of them.

Maybe, as they are S.E. Asians, they want to stay in their area, where they already live for centuries.

But.. knowing how the Thais treated them: pull boats full of refugees, grays, women, children alike, in deep ocean to get drowned, I understand their hate towards Thais. ( same as the Vietnamese fugitives a 40 years ago were raped, plundered of their scarce belongings till cut of fingers to steel their wedding rings)

Attempt at damage control for the PM's foot in mouth, speculation earlier.

Although at the time, I thought, well if you had been denied food/water/shelter, kidnapprd, sold to con men, forced to paid ransom demand, treated as virtual slaves, and no telling what other offenses to the women and children, you might hold a gruge and pay back could be a possibility.

I would still call this the most believable thing I've read coming out of the current administration.