Wan Address Masked By Proxy?

ChiangMaiThai

Of course your IP address is masked when you use a proxy server, but does your WAN address remain the same as far as the website you are accessing is concerned?

I don't understand the meaning of "WAN" address in this context.

As far as the web site you are accessing is concerned the request comes from the IP address of the proxy, not your IP address.

Only the proxy server knows your real IP address.

Caveat: I believe the Thai government is monitoring for content all traffic coming in to Thailand. So, they know your IP address even if you use a proxy because by that point the packets are addressed to you with your IP address.

As an aside it is possible to get the WAN (is that correct - your internal IP address?) of your computer (assuming your using a router) using the Java software installed on many machines - try this link

http://www.auditmypc.com/internal-ip.html

and take their test. Interesting.

But, if you're using a proxy, this test returns the address of the proxy server, not your IP address. For example, I'm using proxy.netshade.net which has the IP address 64.34.168.70 which is what the link you provided returns.

As an aside it is possible to get the WAN (is that correct - your internal IP address?) of your computer (assuming your using a router) using the Java software installed on many machines - try this link

http://www.auditmypc.com/internal-ip.html

and take their test. Interesting.

But, if you're using a proxy, this test returns the address of the proxy server, not your IP address. For example, I'm using proxy.netshade.net which has the IP address 64.34.168.70 which is what the link you provided returns.

It is my understanding that certain major websites track and identify their users by both IP and WAN. If the IP address is masked, my question is, will they still see your real WAN address? For instance, if you use a proxy to send anti Thaksin letters to Thaksin. Maybe he can't see your IP address. But by tracking the WAN, will he at least be able to see that they are all coming from the same computer? I think the answer is yes, but I would like confirmation.

There seems to be some misunderstanding here. All that WAN means is 'Wide Area Network'. It's a general term but when applied to home router configurations it usually means the side of the router that is plugged into the internet as opposed to the side of the router that your PC/s are plugged into - the LAN side (Local Area Network).

maybe i not understand your question,but i'm sure that everytime i visite some websites the request come fron pacific net proxy and not from my ip that i get today for example

i use tot goldcyber and usually get 221.xx.xxx.xx or 61.xxx.xxx.xx but all my friends that manage websites say to me that the request come always from 203.xx.xx.xx that is proxy from pacific net,i do whois and his true

mah...........

I think you're confused on your terminolgy, "WAN" really has nothing to do with your identity or IP address. FWIW, be careful using proxies. It's trivial for a site to write a couple lines of script which read additional hidden header information and get your REAL IP address, even when you use a proxy. Only the most secure totally anonymous proxies will strip that info out, and they are not so easy to come by. And further, even if you use one of those totally secure anonymous proxies, Thailand's new blocking system (in place as of the last couple weeks) will still block you!!