I May Be A Whimpy Woman... But

rene123

I always assume that in the "dead ground" (what you cannot see round a left hand bend) is a truck full of bricks broken down and ready too stop me if I am going too fast.

Funnily enough I was almost spot on more than once. Same applies for a summit of a road..what is just over it and can I avoid it?

Happy trails.

• Like 1

Good advice rene! And don't forget that every inch of paved surface or shoulder can be used by any type of vehicle going in any direction regardless of other traffic! I always love the loaded down pick up trucks in "my" (???) lane when I go into a switchback in the mountains.

If anyone is interested, the road from Chiang Mai to Mae Sariang is a good one but only from Hot to Mae Sariang. The rest of the trip is rather boring landscape. There is on going construction for 30 km north of Hot and the traffic is often heavy. There are bottlenecks at the few villages along the way, but mostly 4 lane road for the remainder. From Hot west the two lane road follows a winding river valley, but unless you drive slowly there isn't much time to look at the view. The traffic is busy and there is a combination of slow moving transport trucks and speeding pickups that like to pass on corners. you can't ever take your eyes off the road if you are riding a bike. The road is pretty good considering, and the whole 200 km trip from Chiang Mai to Mae Sariang takes about 3 1/2 hours. Beyond Mae Sariang there are several choices. I decided to visit the border of Thailand and Myanmar (Burma) on 1194. The first 25 km is all through scenic, low land farm country that is mostly corn growing. Then the road (hardly a highway) climbs rapidly into the mountains. The condition of the road gets worse the higher you get. The worst bits seem to be always on the hairpin corners. From the summit downward to the Salawin River valley the road is under constant construction and is mostly gravel, sand, dirt and a few sections of pavement. There are a few scenic hill tribe villages along the way.

When I stopped and took my helmet off all the Thai children came running to touch my red hair. I guess they had never seen red hair before. I got a few nice photos of the children. I'm amazed how they survive up there. I saw women and children carrying loads of firewood in baskets that many men would have trouble carrying. Needless to say, I was passed many times by Thais on their little scooters as they raced past my more powerful 250 Kawasaki. It shows how much more I've got to learn about riding.

The trip from Mae Sariang to the Salawin River is about 50 + km and I had already put on about 40 km before I started. The fuel tank on the Kawasaki is small and the light comes on at about 135 km. I was already at 85 km when I reached the tiny village scattered along the road above the river, and I hadn't seen a fuel station anywhere. I stopped where a group of Thais were talking and pointed at my fuel tank. A small Thai man indicated that I carry him to where I could get gas. We road about 200 meters where we stopped at a newly built house. the Thai man hopped off, went into the house and came out with two empty coke containers full of fuel. I have no idea of the octane rating but I wasn't choosy. The guy filled my tank and I handed him 100 baht which seemed to make his day and I was on my way. I could probably made it back to Mae Sariang, but it made me feel better that I wouldn't run out of gas.

All in all it was a pleasant day which I enjoyed thoroughly.

• Like 2

Yes I have noticed this too. People on small displacement scooters LOVE to pass the big bikes. If you have bigger cc bike you need to keep your ego in check and not take the bait or else you will live a very short life.

Rene, did you ride alot in Canada before you came to Thailand?

Rene, did you ride alot in Canada before you came to Thailand?

Not a lot, but I ride my father's trail bike occasionally. The problem is the weather isn't reliable in BC where I'm from, and you can never be sure that it's not going to rain. Getting dressed in 3 layers of clothing takes some of the joy away from riding. It becomes a chore rather than a joy. However, now that I'm single again I might buy a motorbike when I get back to Canada in April. I don't want a big bike, but something that can at least stay up with traffic. I've really taken a love for riding in Thailand.

I've made a point of NEVER going around a blind corner at "MY" fastest speed.

Agreeing 100% ... if I can't see my exit point then there is a degree of caution.

BTW rene123 ... any consideration to reply to my PM from a little time ago ... whistling.gif

I've made a point of NEVER going around a blind corner at "MY" fastest speed.

Agreeing 100% ... if I can't see my exit point then there is a degree of caution.

BTW rene123 ... any consideration to reply to my PM from a little time ago ... whistling.gif

Actually, I didn't even know I had any messages and had to go looking for them. I'm new to this forum and don't even know how to post a photo. I have found the forum useful for asking advice, and it's kind of fun to do a little good natured teasing if people don't get too upset. but, sometimes I get a little carried away and go off topic. That is easy enough to do when someone asks a question that you think you might have an answer for.