Strange Behavior With My Honda Wave 125I

Genericnic

During the past week, my 125i has started doing strange things.

When the engine is cold (not ridden overnight) and I start it (electric starter), I shift into 1st gear and as I apply the throttle, the engine dies and and I hear what sound like a metal klunck. I rest it and sometimes it happens a second time but generally it is fine.

As I am out riding, when I let off the throttle at low speed (20 km/h or so), I can hear what sounds like a loose rattle that comes from the same area as the metal klunck noted above.

Finally, when I park the bike and turn off the ignition, within about half a second after the engine stops, I get a second klunck similar to the first one.

I should note that there doesn't seem to be any clutch slippage as I ride.

I am at a loss. Anyone have similar experiences or suggestions?

Thanks

David

• 2 weeks later...

I've got exactly the same issues with my Wave. One thing I managed to solve for now is the loose rattle sound - you need to tighten the chain case, any mechanic can do it for you. As for the engine issue after idling, staff at Honda suggested I try to use Gasohol 95. Needless to say, it didn't solve the problem. Will let you know once/if the solution is found.

I've got exactly the same issues with my Wave. One thing I managed to solve for now is the loose rattle sound - you need to tighten the chain case, any mechanic can do it for you. As for the engine issue after idling, staff at Honda suggested I try to use Gasohol 95. Needless to say, it didn't solve the problem. Will let you know once/if the solution is found.

Thanks. I'll check the chain housing for the rattle. As for the other, it is not a compression issue as far as I can tell. To me, it sounds like a mechanical sound sort of like you would get if the starter was disengaging and sliding back into place (if that makes sense). Definitely a metal to metal thump though. I'll let you know what I find out as well.

David