Best Bike For 6 Foot 82Kg Me + Wife = Road Trip.

AllanB

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen some used ER-6's for sale that aren't too far from 100K and that would be a great bike for the OP's needs. Lots of them out there so you just have to keep searching until a motivated seller shows up.

I've been lusting over the soon-to-arrive Honda 500X. That should be a great bike for Thailand.

you wont get an er6n now if the budget is 100k

especially since the new tax hiked them up 10%

a brand new cbr 250 is only around 100k and second hand ones are 70k upwards depending on condition

so if the budget is 100k i would just buy that

i think the 500x looks like an interesting bike but im a bit worried it may be underpowered/slow as a dead dog compared to the versys

if i dont like it ,you will see it for sale in classifieds :)

From the extra info on OPs tastes, I would go back to considering the Honda 4s such as CB1 and Superfour. You do have to find one that hasn't been mangled and straightened, but they are a tough well-built bike (they don't make 'em like that anymore). And you don't spend much time working on them - just routine maintenance you should do with any bike once you have the carbs set up well. I think the main problem for many people in Thailand with older bikes is lack of any mechanical aptitude and/or a good mechanic for any major work requiring a workshop. OP seems to like tinkering, so maintenance and minor tweaks are no issue. I know one guy picked up a CB1 for 52k THB. It had lots of small problems (front forks / cables / carbs out of whack etc) and the body was rough, but frame was straight and the engine and gearbox still very good. For a well-cared for example you will have to pay more of course, but still mostly under 100k. The parts question is a mixed bag - you can get lots of common stuff locally (fork seals, carb jets, cables, sprockets, brake parts etc) and then nearly anything else you need for the old Hondas on eBay - although it can mean a week or two waiting for parts.

From the extra info on OPs tastes, I would go back to considering the Honda 4s such as CB1 and Superfour. You do have to find one that hasn't been mangled and straightened, but they are a tough well-built bike (they don't make 'em like that anymore). And you don't spend much time working on them - just routine maintenance you should do with any bike once you have the carbs set up well. I think the main problem for many people in Thailand with older bikes is lack of any mechanical aptitude and/or a good mechanic for any major work requiring a workshop. OP seems to like tinkering, so maintenance and minor tweaks are no issue. I know one guy picked up a CB1 for 52k THB. It had lots of small problems (front forks / cables / carbs out of whack etc) and the body was rough, but frame was straight and the engine and gearbox still very good. For a well-cared for example you will have to pay more of course, but still mostly under 100k. The parts question is a mixed bag - you can get lots of common stuff locally (fork seals, carb jets, cables, sprockets, brake parts etc) and then nearly anything else you need for the old Hondas on eBay - although it can mean a week or two waiting for parts.

But the OP has no reliable mechanic he trusts, if i understood him right. And repairing/maintaining a CB400 seems a bit harder than doing same with a Phantom. It seems the legend that every thai mechanic can repair a Phantom was wrong. And maybe the legend of the unbreakable Phantom too?

Maybe its possible to modify the CBR250 for a more upright position. I have read some people here wanted to replace the clip ons and mount a handlebar. Then modify the fairing to get rid of the sport bike touch. And voila, ready is the reliable (non chinese) bike with enough power for two for a good price. And if you do it right you may have a bike with character too :)

• Like 1

But the OP has no reliable mechanic he trusts, if i understood him right. And repairing/maintaining a CB400 seems a bit harder than doing same with a Phantom. It seems the legend that every thai mechanic can repair a Phantom was wrong. And maybe the legend of the unbreakable Phantom too?

Maybe its possible to modify the CBR250 for a more upright position. I have read some people here wanted to replace the clip ons and mount a handlebar. Then modify the fairing to get rid of the sport bike touch. And voila, ready is the reliable (non chinese) bike with enough power for two for a good price. And if you do it right you may have a bike with character too smile.png

I found a place today, where 2 CB400's were being restored (not for sale), one was built, a road bike and the other, an enduro, or off-road Honda 4 cylinder, was stripped. It all looks pretty do-able for me in terms of the mechanics, not a bad looking machine and felt quite well balanced when I parked my backside on the road bike.

So I will look out for one, or something with 2 cylinders, maybe 250cc, I have a truck and a Wave to get around on, so this is a hobby. I guess there must be workshop manuals. available to download.

Went down this morning to look at the second rebuild on the Phantom, not a torque wrench or feeler gauge in sight. Everything done with T-bars.

I like to hear such ambitious stories :)

I have to say that i have given up the idea to do this for myself. Maybe later in some years (when i am retired and have enough time?). I decided that its too much hassle and risk is too high that it will not work for me.

Some things that ideally should be thought through:

Bike with greenbook?

Bike in a good shape (worth to buy it and work with it)?

All spares available?

Repair manual available?

An exclusive place to work on the bike where it can stand for weeks with engine open?

A good set of tools. And some special tools, depending on the job that has to be done?

The will and enough time to care about all of this?

• Like 1

1996 - 98 cb400 s in good condition are going for 120 k with greenbook but better be prepared for repairs after 3 months which might worth a lot and even as q hobby, it might take your time a lot.

Besides, please ask yourself, do you really now how to work on an inline four or any big bike?

I do not recommend paying that much for a 15 years old bike plus it is a hell of a fast bike so if you feel cbr250 is too fast for you, do not even think a 400cc with four cylinders.

I have a truck and a Wave to get around on, so this is a hobby. I guess there must be workshop manuals. available to download.

Sure workshop manuals are available easily, It is the workshop & tools that you will also need

+ time,patience & parts supplies that may tax you in the end.

Bike maintenance,restoration etc is a nice hobby back where I came from I had a garage & tools.

To duplicate that here is beyond my reach at this time.

I like to hear such ambitious stories smile.png

I have to say that i have given up the idea to do this for myself. Maybe later in some years (when i am retired and have enough time?). I decided that its too much hassle and risk is too high that it will not work for me.

Some things that ideally should be thought through:

Bike with greenbook?

Bike in a good shape (worth to buy it and work with it)?

All spares available?

Repair manual available?

An exclusive place to work on the bike where it can stand for weeks with engine open?

A good set of tools. And some special tools, depending on the job that has to be done?

The will and enough time to care about all of this?

1. Not that ambitious, I was thinking of doing a beetle, so a bike would be much easier, with fewer tools and no lifting gear. Done loads of cars before, just new to bikes.

2. Not exactly retired, but have plenty of time on my hands, more as I finished the house and pool.

3. There would be no hurry and if I needed bits that were unavailable here, I could get them from the UK, or USA, even Oz, mail ordered, it is a project after all.

4. There are plenty of engineering places around here, I can (have) used their lathe and milling machines, to make or modify parts.

5. I would buy the tools as I go along, but these older bikes are knife and folk jobs, with a torque wrench and feeler gauge thrown in.

I just need to find something older that I can ride, I would dearly love something British, but they are rare as rocking horse sh*t. With the Enfield made in India for decades, I don't understand why there are none here.

Why would you consider anything else but a chopper if your plan is to go touring with gf ?

And 600cc would be a bare minimum, there are many big bikes for 120-150k.

The one maintenance issue is the never-ending chrome rubbing, but guess what,

there is a cure for that too, i powder-coated the pipes so maintenance dropped to zero,

emm, almost, still had to wash the sucker, but a cover reduced that <deleted> to once every 2nd month

Why would you consider anything else but a chopper if your plan is to go touring with gf ?

And 600cc would be a bare minimum, there are many big bikes for 120-150k.

The one maintenance issue is the never-ending chrome rubbing, but guess what,

there is a cure for that too, i powder-coated the pipes so maintenance dropped to zero,

emm, almost, still had to wash the sucker, but a cover reduced that <deleted> to once every 2nd month

I mentioned before that my friend has a Steed, a mere 400cc chopper, completely unrideable for me and totally useless around town. he is an experienced rider and almost came off when he hit a rut in the concrete and it cannot handle dirt roads at all. Powder coating all the chrome would surely devalue the bike dramatically. Mechanically his Steed looks like a nightmare to work on, even changing one of the four spark-plugs needs a special tool and parts are a problem too, he needs a new carb which costs a fortune. So not a practical option for me at all, a one ton piece of chrome to polish, which is what he does, with glee, to hell with that, I want to ride.

Ok, i had higher thoughts of Steed, they are duly corrected !

It a nice looking chopper tho.

Test ride a big Virago if you get the chance, it works as well as a scooter in town

and a healthy power on Sukumvit, comfortable to ride and especially for taller guys.

2 normal sparks with standard tool, it is rather light for a big bike

Edited by poanoi

You said "So my question, what bike do I need without spending a fortune, I want to travel 200km per day at 70-80kph max and it not be a nightmare in the towns? I want reliability, with the spares I need available from somewhere and not have to ride scrunched up on a bike built for little Thais.

"

Either your looking for a tourer as you said, or your looking for a project bike. So which one is it? And you have a 100k baht limit which discounts most decent late model bikes which require little maintenance and are very reliable. A CBR250r is the only choice one would think.

• Like 1

You said "So my question, what bike do I need without spending a fortune, I want to travel 200km per day at 70-80kph max and it not be a nightmare in the towns? I want reliability, with the spares I need available from somewhere and not have to ride scrunched up on a bike built for little Thais.

"

Either your looking for a tourer as you said, or your looking for a project bike. So which one is it? And you have a 100k baht limit which discounts most decent late model bikes which require little maintenance and are very reliable. A CBR250r is the only choice one would think.

The main point of this thread is to look at my options, which are somewhat limited in Thailand, but most have been mentioned. This is not my primary means of transport, it is purely a toy, so starting with a project may be my best option, getting it right and then touring and tinkering.

With that in mind, I want something interesting, I have a boring Wave to go pick up the groceries, it even has a nice little girly basket on the front. I am a Brit so would air like a British bike, they are also more suitable than the American stuff on crappy Isaan roads, but few and far between and all scooters are out, I never really liked "The Who" or "parkers" at all.

Can I say that apart from reliability and power issues, the Phantom is a suitable bike, easy to ride, handles quite well in a straight line, but things like synthetic rubber parts in the engine and no oil filter, or an oil light, is not a good combination. So that leads me down another avenue....fit another engine..."how hard can it be?"

Does anyone know anything about importing bikes or parts from Malaysia, as the Enfield is sold there, either buy a bike, or a 350cc engine/gearbox and either pick it up or ship it? The 350 Enfield in India is around 72,000 rupees, around 100k baht, don't know about import duties. The police and army use them out there and expedition companies use them in the Himalayas, so Thai mountains would be a doddle.

I am a Brit so would air like a British bike

Does anyone know anything about importing bikes or parts from Malaysia, as the Enfield is sold there, either buy a bike, or a 350cc engine/gearbox and either pick it up or ship it? The 350 Enfield in India is around 72,000 rupees, around 100k baht, don't know about import duties.

What are "British" bikes in Thailand? Aside from Triumph & aren't many of them now also made in Thailand?

I saw this somewhere

"The quick check is the 11th character of your vin "J" = Jacknell road Hinckley England or "T" = Chonburi Thailand."

I think from reading previous replies about getting a import bike legal/greenbooked problem is your budget does not allow

any import considerations

If I remember right most said the greenbook process alone was 78k+ due to emission tests etc.

Edited by mania

I think the main problem for many people in Thailand with older bikes is lack of any mechanical aptitude and/or a good mechanic for any major work requiring a workshop.

Uh . . . yeah. Even if you got the aptitude, you don't have a good place to work or the tools.

No more headaches with older bikes for me. I want legal, easily repaired and easily maintained by most any shop but in particular a dealership where I don't get ripped off.

• Like 2

"

The main point of this thread is to look at my options, which are somewhat limited in Thailand, but most have been mentioned. This is not my primary means of transport, it is purely a toy, so starting with a project may be my best option, getting it right and then touring and tinkering.

With that in mind, I want something interesting, I have a boring Wave to go pick up the groceries, it even has a nice little girly basket on the front. I am a Brit so would air like a British bike, they are also more suitable than the American stuff on crappy Isaan roads, but few and far between and all scooters are out, I never really liked "The Who" or "parkers" at all.

Can I say that apart from reliability and power issues, the Phantom is a suitable bike, easy to ride, handles quite well in a straight line, but things like synthetic rubber parts in the engine and no oil filter, or an oil light, is not a good combination. So that leads me down another avenue....fit another engine..."how hard can it be?"

Does anyone know anything about importing bikes or parts from Malaysia, as the Enfield is sold there, either buy a bike, or a 350cc engine/gearbox and either pick it up or ship it? The 350 Enfield in India is around 72,000 rupees, around 100k baht, don't know about import duties. The police and army use them out there and expedition companies use them in the Himalayas, so Thai mountains would be a doddle.

The Royal Enfield importer was selling the 350 Bullet last year for 230000 baht. Import one on your own and you`ll have to get it approved to be able to register it. You will face all sorts of hassle and even if you do eventually manage to get it registered the final cost could be greater than 230000 baht.

So what about just importing an engine/gearbox? Shoehorn it into the Phantom frame?

I will soon have a workshop with A/C and tools are not a problem.

When I said British, I mean't in spirit.

Edited by AllanB

Tools are not a problem? You are a lucky man. I already spent a fortune for tools and i am still missing basic things when doing something else than adjusting the chain slack.

EDIT:

I guess you will have the same process to get your bike legal with an imported engine than with an imported complete bike. Maybe even the engine will be more hassle? Don't know. I wouldn't want a bike without greenbook or with wrong numbers in the greenbook.

Edited by wantan

So what about just importing an engine/gearbox? Shoehorn it into the Phantom frame?

I will soon have a workshop with A/C and tools are not a problem.

When I said British, I mean't in spirit.

Same thing I think, Because numbers in Greenbook has to match

If you want to change the greenbook that is where you will have the problem.

Anything is possible it just depends on how much $$$ you want

to throw at it ;)

Tools are not a problem? You are a lucky man. I already spent a fortune for tools and i am still missing basic things when doing something else than adjusting the chain slack.

EDIT:

I guess you will have the same process to get your bike legal with an imported engine than with an imported complete bike. Maybe even the engine will be more hassle? Don't know. I wouldn't want a bike without greenbook or with wrong numbers in the greenbook.

to take apart most motorbikes to the last nut and bolt one doesnt need expensive tools, did it myself many times. only special tool i needed was a flywheel puller.

"so starting with a project may be my best option, getting it right and then touring and tinkering." Ok, I can see that point of view. But how about a brand new CBR250 with top box and panniers for touring all over Thailand, Laos and Cambodia then in a few years, when it's starting to look seedy, make that you project bike. There's a ton of bits already available.

"so starting with a project may be my best option, getting it right and then touring and tinkering." Ok, I can see that point of view. But how about a brand new CBR250 with top box and panniers for touring all over Thailand, Laos and Cambodia then in a few years, when it's starting to look seedy, make that you project bike. There's a ton of bits already available.

god knows how long honda will keep pumping out these current cbr250rs without any major re-design

or how many millions of them will be sold

it could be a very long time before a 2013 cbr250 is an old " classic "

it will be light years cheaper in maintainance and fuel costs than a ~ 20 year old cb400 or a yamaha sr400

but i think the character is just not comparable

todays bikes are built with economy and quietness and fuel efficiency and as much as possible from moulded plastic

just doesnt compare to a bike designed ~20 yrs ago when the design brief was differnt ,emmisions or noise regulations were unheard off and gas was

cheap as <deleted> ...smile.png

Edited by YipYipYa123
  • Like 1