Best Bike For 6 Foot 82Kg Me + Wife = Road Trip.

AllanB

1 idea for a Phantom Frankin-bike; fit a Honda XR250 motor into a Phantom. Like many used import bikes; such as 20 years old XR's, CB1, Bros, most examples are mess only suitable for a complete tear down and rebuild. A book-less something (I say that as even in person or from pictures you can see the mess of parts used over the years) can be bought for cheap - 20k - 30k.

For your budget the 250 class would be best given your requirements and what is available here; CRFL, DTracker, even a CBR 250 with custom seat and higher bars for touring. A re-made seat is a must for touring, and it is sooo affordable here. And a small tank is not an issue for touring in Thailand, a Dtracker tank can travel 130 to 180 Kms, and plenty of proof/information can be provided to show that you can find fuel anywhere in Thailand within 100 kms. Even offroad. Beside, for me it is a given that I will stop to stretch my legs every 1 to 2 hours riding, which makes even the odd 800 km riding days pleasant - which I've done on a 250 with my son as pillion.

Pic is of our third trip down to the gulf from Chiang Mai - this last year he was a lot taller and weighed more than me, which was too much for the 250. Pictured below is a pretty much stock bike with the rear preload set for this traveling weight and reconditioned front forks. For the 2 of us in the 85 to 90 kilo each (last year), even a Versys with luggage was overloaded. During our 2011 travels the Kawasaki 250 would sit at 112 kph on the highways loaded up as pictures, hard work for a 250 but it still ran like a charm at 85,000 km when sold.

IMG_0171.JPG

Happy bike shopping!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you considered a Honda Bros 400 or 650 v twin ? They're pretty good around town or on the open road and there's quite a few of them about in Thailand. Getting old now, made from 88 - 92 but if you get a good one they run for ever. Spares will be a bit of an issue but most things are still available somewhere. I've got 1 in the UK and have ridden 1 around northern Thailand, great fun bikes.

Some great ideas in the last two postings.....

A repadded seat for the Phantom seems a good idea, pending finding a replacement bike.

You don't look as though you weigh 85kg in the photo, but at around 145kg with luggage we are not too much over the 134kg limit of the Phantom.

I didn't know you could get high touring bars for the CBR250, that's very positive, as the "racing" riding position is a bit of a stumbling block for me. Where do you get them in Thailand, I found this http://indianmotosblog.com/tauco-custom-honda-cbr250r looks okay?

I like the look of the Bros, but servicing looks a bit restricted with those side braces. Will look out for one.

Upping the power of the Phantom engine would seem to me a no-no, it already runs hot, unless an oil cooler could be fitted.

Some great ideas in the last two postings.....

A repadded seat for the Phantom seems a good idea, pending finding a replacement bike.

You don't look as though you weigh 85kg in the photo, but at around 145kg with luggage we are not too much over the 134kg limit of the Phantom.

I didn't know you could get high touring bars for the CBR250, that's very positive, as the "racing" riding position is a bit of a stumbling block for me. Where do you get them in Thailand, I found this http://indianmotosbl...m-honda-cbr250r looks okay?

I like the look of the Bros, but servicing looks a bit restricted with those side braces. Will look out for one.

Upping the power of the Phantom engine would seem to me a no-no, it already runs hot, unless an oil cooler could be fitted.

Hahaha, pictured is my son who is 16 now.

I have seen mounts and higher bars installed, on a CBR250, at the piston shop in Chiang Mai.

I too was smitten by the Honda Bros; small, narrow, and light, nice feel from the engine, quite the nice bike for the twisty mountain roads in the Thai north west. I'm also 6 ft, finding the bros a little too small, and most used ones I've seen need major work before I'd ride one far. Once in a rare while a well taken care of specimen, that at it's stage in life has undergone a few tear downs, appears for sale.

Like others said, many 15 to 25 year bikes are for sale, but it's not the abuse they've seen (I've abused many of my bikes over many years) - it's the care, and low quality, possibly mis-matched parts that have been slapped on the bike over the years. For myself I consider many used bikes I've seen unsafe to ride unless the bike is completely rebuilt using the correct parts. Your friends Honda Steed may have once been a nice ridding bike, but who can guess what has happened or what has been done to that poor steed.

For myself I consider many used bikes I've seen unsafe to ride unless the bike is completely rebuilt using the correct parts. Your friends Honda Steed may have once been a nice ridding bike, but who can guess what has happened or what has been done to that poor steed.

Ain't that the truth? Not just many: most. The rebuilding can easily double the cost of the bike, esp when you're overcharged on the parts. And there's the issue of the quality of the rebuild unless you do it yourself and know what you're doing.

For myself I consider many used bikes I've seen unsafe to ride unless the bike is completely rebuilt using the correct parts. Your friends Honda Steed may have once been a nice ridding bike, but who can guess what has happened or what has been done to that poor steed.

Ain't that the truth? Not just many: most. The rebuilding can easily double the cost of the bike, esp when you're overcharged on the parts. And there's the issue of the quality of the rebuild unless you do it yourself and know what you're doing.

A tad cynical, or maybe burnt badly by a prior experience. Yes, there are plenty of cowboys in mechanics shops, but there are also some fine Thai mechanics who are proud of their work, honest and helpful. Bit OP seems not to need too much help in this way, so it is a matter of his finding a bike with the right performance and character requirements - and which does have parts available if this means an older rather than newer bike. Not too many Nortons, BSAs or Velocettes in Thailand. The Indian Enfield is a questionable option. Sure, they look like an Enfield, but I doubt that Indian metallurgy and chrome is on a par with Sheffield in its glory days. A bit like buying a Rolex in the night bazaar. And easy to maintain, but as rare as rocking horse <deleted> in Thailand, so parts would be a headache. I'll openly admit I am a one-eyed lover of older Jap bikes, and think in Thailand that this is the way to go - but if so you want a model that came here in reasonable numbers to make it easier to source parts (and of course attention to earlier posted caveats about green book and general level of care during its life).

CBR250 was very nice, but I want relaxed cruising and would be just ride it too fast. I won't rule it out as it is a really nice bike and fantastic value here in Thailand.

The throttle is in your hand, no?

Need a old motor bike which cannot really move any more to behave and drive slowly, same you shall or you want?

Please you are the Boss and the Bike follows your orders.

How do you drive a car than?

If you are on a tight budget.

I would prefer the 650 Kawasaki, Thai built, no problem with spare parts and strong enough for two.

Save and buy a new one.

Without a tight budget, I would go for the now also in Thailand built Ducati Monster 750.

wai.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

I friend of mine has just acquired, well it is his girlfriends, a 150cc 2 stroke liquid cooled Phantom, what a fast bike. With a 200kg payload this thing could move and they are as cheap as chips at present, would get change from my Ta200.

Look easy to work on...what are your thoughts...what rep do they have? Not than noisy and a decent power band width.

I friend of mine has just acquired, well it is his girlfriends, a 150cc 2 stroke liquid cooled Phantom, what a fast bike. With a 200kg payload this thing could move and they are as cheap as chips at present, would get change from my Ta200.

Look easy to work on...what are your thoughts...what rep do they have? Not than noisy and a decent power band width.

-AllanB-

Please, that is a better -Moped-. Thai style Motorbike.wink.png

Motorbikes have more CC and are not two stroke anymore.

Usually starts with 400cc in my opinion, but In TH a 250cc CBR New Honda will do it also as a starter.

And get your "Throttle hand" under control and you can drive everything

+ wait for some more money and buy something better, bigger,

special for two persons.

Regarding your repair Hobby, look for some crap and try to bring it to old glory again.

I, would like to ride a lot, not to use time up, for screwing bolts!

But each to his own. wai2.gif

In thailand, i will never ever buy a bike that is dependent on water cooling or a fan,

they aren't dependable

In that way, cooled BIKES even drive from Paris to Dakar. rolleyes.gif

At work today we were trying to think of a single motorcycle racing/competitive event, not just the endurance races but all competitions where the top, competitive, bikes are air cooled these recent years. We had no luck, any ideas anyone?

In thailand, i will never ever buy a bike that is dependent on water cooling or a fan,

they aren't dependable

In that way, cooled BIKES even drive from Paris to Dakar. rolleyes.gif

At work today we were trying to think of a single motorcycle racing/competitive event, not just the endurance races but all competitions where the top, competitive, bikes are air cooled these recent years. We had no luck, any ideas anyone?

No, not anymore competitive on a higher level. coffee1.gif

You see them every day in thailand, 2nd hand watercooled bikes,

either under cover in undefined storage, or at the road side with boiling water

most likely 2 stroke bikes, 4 stroke water cooled bikes are very reliable if properly maintained.

and even 2 stroke bikes can be reliable, but a lot of (Thai) owners refuse to spend a single baht on maintainence.

Edited by pokerkid
  • Like 1

Why don't you borrow it for a long weekend and take it for a reasonable distance with the trouble and strife, plus some luggage on board. That way you can see for yourself whether it will do the job. Pick somewhere hilly as your destination. My guess is, given some hills or strong head winds, you will resume searching for the perfect budget ride for touring. Having to change down and up and down the gearbox to maintain progress can get tiring after a while!

A good advice BSJ, it takes some riding to find out the downsides,

also drive in shorts & flip flops before buy to make sure its not a faulty build that burn yer leg

Like the Spartans said, "If".

A friend of mine has one of those, he's been struggling for a couple of years now at various shops,

he wants to buy mine so he can take a trip without risk

As my user name suggests I enjoy trolling also. thumbsup.gif

You see them every day in thailand, 2nd hand watercooled bikes,

either under cover in undefined storage, or at the road side with boiling water

most likely 2 stroke bikes, 4 stroke water cooled bikes are very reliable if properly maintained.

and even 2 stroke bikes can be reliable, but a lot of (Thai) owners refuse to spend a single baht on maintainence.

There are 4 Phantoms in my village, 3 TA 200s (one is mine) and a single 150 2 stroke.

Only one gets regularly service, Mine.

The only time it broke down on was due to a duff plug.

It takes me everywhere I need to go (I am 125kg) but not at warp factor speeds.

A couple of years ago I went 400 km to BKK and back in the same day. Mind you I did walk like a cowboy without a horse for a couple of days and I couldn't stop a pig with my knees but the Phantom did the job.

Edited by billd766

I know a bloke up in Nong Bua Lam Phu with a 400 custom - I think its a Virago - nice clean bike, well maintained, all the necessary docs inc green book and he's lookin around 85k for it. Might be worth a look if you're in the area..? thumbsup.gif

You have got to be joking I know a thai girl with one of these had a little ride on it and I have to say it was the biggest pile of crap I have ever ridden ,open the throttle it just revs and don't seem to go anywhere.heavy and definitely underpowered

• Like 1

I know a bloke up in Nong Bua Lam Phu with a 400 custom - I think its a Virago - nice clean bike, well maintained, all the necessary docs inc green book and he's lookin around 85k for it. Might be worth a look if you're in the area..? thumbsup.gif

Now that sounds promising. Terrific medium sized bike those Virago's. I thought they came in 250 and 535. 400 too, ay!

yep, anyone buying this bike would be quids in. It's just sitting in his garage doing nothing now, so is going to go to waste if someone doesn't take it off his hands. Nice clean little bike for someone...

Where abouts are you in the country?

I had a look on the internet, the Virago seems to be a little lighter and easier to handle than the Steed so that is a plus and very torquey too, just what you need on hills.

I went to Pai the other side of Chiang Mai earlier this week 730 bends in 96km, I believe, went in the truck, so not the best, thought about a bike all the way there and back. Whether i could ride the 700km to get there is another question, but lots of bikers on the roads around CM.

The Virago looks a lot more bike than the Phantom and my mate has a Steed, so a kindred spirit here.

yep, anyone buying this bike would be quids in. It's just sitting in his garage doing nothing now, so is going to go to waste if someone doesn't take it off his hands. Nice clean little bike for someone...

I had a look on the internet, the Virago seems to be a little lighter and easier to handle than the Steed so that is a plus and very torquey too, just what you need on hills.

I went to Pai the other side of Chiang Mai earlier this week 730 bends in 96km, I believe, went in the truck, so not the best, thought about a bike all the way there and back. Whether i could ride the 700km to get there is another question, but lots of bikers on the roads around CM.

The Virago looks a lot more bike than the Phantom and my mate has a Steed, so a kindred spirit here.

I bought Bill D's Virago XV 535, it's a lovely medium sized bike, I love my old Phantom but there is just no comparison between the 2, the Virago is a zillion percent better.

One weakness to watch out for is the starter clutch and drive train, that cost a bit to get sorted and my Chang was dripping for hours about the amount of time he had to spend on the phone to source the spare parts.

I bought Bill D's Virago XV 535, it's a lovely medium sized bike, I love my old Phantom but there is just no comparison between the 2, the Virago is a zillion percent better.

One weakness to watch out for is the starter clutch and drive train, that cost a bit to get sorted and my Chang was dripping for hours about the amount of time he had to spend on the phone to source the spare parts.

I told you it was a great bike. Any bike is great as long as the dam_n thing works and you don't have to spend a fortune on it.

I went out in December to find a Yamaha FZX 750 for my mate in Germany but couldn't find anything half decent so I told him and he said find something else.

What? Up to you so now he has a Honda CB400 with a green book that goes like greased weasel shit and he leaves it with me for most of the year.