Kamnan Poh Was Treated At Bangkok's Samitivej Hospital: Special Report

webfact

Special report

Kamnan Poh was treated at Samitivej

The Nation

30199148-01_big.jpg

He did not arouse any suspicions for nine months

BANGKOK: -- Fugitive and notorious criminal Somchai Khunpluem, who was wanted in high-profile murder and corruption cases, frequented the Samitivej Hospital's Srinakarin branch for nine months - surprisingly without arousing the suspicion of officials there. Contrary to normal practice, his familiar face has not appeared on his patient file there either.

After his arrest on Wednesday, it was revealed that Somchai had sought treatment at the hospital since April last year under the false name of Kim sae Tang. He also claimed he was 81 years old now. In fact, he was just 76.

newsjs

His patient file there showed he lived in Soi Ua Suk in Bangkok's Suan Luang district. Tipsters, however, had alerted the Crime Suppression Bureau every now and then that Somchai was sighted in Chon Buri's Bang Saen area. According to the tip-off, he seemed to go out of his home in Bang Saen only when he needed to visit doctors.

"We got a tip-off that he visited doctors at Samitivej Hospital's Srinakarin branch and he travelled between his home and the hospital using a black van," a source at the bureau disclosed, "So, we kept close a watch on the Bangkok-Chon Buri motorway, especially the Latkrabang toll-collection gate".

Somchai or Kamnan Poh was caught at the gate on Wednesday, after having been on the run for about seven years.

His treatment records at Samitivej Hospital's Srinakarin branch showed he had sought treatment for symptoms related to his nerves, heart, gastrointestinal tracts and eyesight since April 22 last year.

The first time he arrived at the hospital, he was admitted as an inpatient. After that, he went in and out of this hospital several times. Sometimes, he visited as an outpatient but quite often he had been hospitalised for several days.

Somchai's treatments

April 22-27, 2012: Hospitalised

May 6-12, 2012: Hospitalised

May 29, 2012: Visit to a doctor

June 6, 2012: Visit to a doctor

June 21, 2012: Visit to a doctor

July 4, 2012: Visit to a doctor

July 12 - 14, 2012: Hospitalised

July 19, 2012: Visit to a doctor

August 19, 2012: Visit to a doctor

Sept 15, 2012: Visit to a doctor

Sept 24, 2012: Visit to a doctor

Oct 5, 2012: Visit to a doctor

Oct 19, 2012: Visit to a doctor

Oct 21, 2012: Visit to a doctor

Nov 12, 2012: Visit to a doctor

Nov 26 - 29, 2012: Hospitalised

Dec 20, 2012: Visit to a doctor

Jan 2, 2013: Visit to a doctor

Jan 5, 2013: Visit to a doctor

Jan 30, 2013: Visit to a doctor:

After this visit, he was arrested.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-01

Let's see, that's adds up to about 20 trips back and forth to the hospital over that period of months.... Obviously, the police were biding their time and looking for the best time to pounce... whistling.gif

Meanwhile, while I applaud The Nation's ability to get and print this kind of information, it kind of makes you wonder about the privacy of one's medical records here in Thailand. I guess nothing is private once the police get involved. Kind of food for thought here...

Now I'm waiting for them to publish his blood pressure readings and the results of his latest prostate exam... tongue.png

• Like 2

"We got a tip-off that he visited doctors at Samitivej Hospital's Srinakarin branch and he travelled between his home and the hospital using a black van," a source at the bureau disclosed, "So, we kept close a watch on the Bangkok-Chon Buri motorway, especially the Latkrabang toll-collection gate".

errrr, why not just go to his home to arrest him then? blink.png

• Like 1

Let's see, that's adds up to about 20 trips back and forth to the hospital over that period of months.... Obviously, the police were biding their time and looking for the best time to pounce... whistling.gif

Meanwhile, while I applaud The Nation's ability to get and print this kind of information, it kind of makes you wonder about the privacy of one's medical records here in Thailand. I guess nothing is private once the police get involved. Kind of food for thought here...

Now I'm waiting for them to publish his blood pressure readings and the results of his latest prostate exam... tongue.png

Indeed, one reason I would never have an ATM card here - you never know who is giving out personal details - If you have no card then they cannot rob your account via ATM after receiving a good tip from someone in the bank - nor would I ever have internet banking here - Privacy means nothing.

As far as Kamnan Po goes, I think he is just a little misunderstood and probably would benefit for a weekly out patients consultation with his local Social Services Health Worker. Jai Dee at heart no doubt.

Edited by Briandajew

Because they might have ended up having to arrest the Culture Minister at the same time if they went the house route??? Just guessing...

• Like 1

Because they might have ended up having to arrest the Culture Minister at the same time if they went the house route??? Just guessing...

They wouldn't want to interrupt him having meetings with the coppers in chonburi.

I think they would probably face more than one shotgun and 6 shells if they went into his house.

What a huge Thai conspiracy! Police, hospital staff and management, friends, family.

This is a real Thai soap opera with a cast of thousands

It'd be a braver man than me to chase Kamnan Poh round the house with a broom to the accompaniment of gongs, clashing cymbals, slide whistles and "BOINGS!"

BTW for a bit of fun...

http://soundfxnow.com/cartoon-sounds/

Edited by mca

Nine Thai police guards who were on duty last Friday when suspected Bombay mafia boss Chhota Rajan escaped from a Bangkok hospital have been sacked, news reports said today.
http://www.mid-day.com/news/2000/nov/4628.htm

Samitivej hospitals do seem to have a somewhat liberal outlook concerning the patients that they treat who seem to have emerged from the murkier depths of Thai and Indian society

I remember the escapade well and I wonder if others do too a performance worthy of the best of the late Harry Houdini in my view, with perchance supporting acts from assorted officials from assorted backgrounds..

Or Pattaya's mayorthumbsup.gif
  • Like 1

You might be confusing the oath that lawyers take to protect your conversations with your attorney, or in the medical field, conversations with your psycharitist. I think medical records can be looked at by the authorites just about anywhere. Who cares if you have a bad tooth, heart problems or a sore throat?

Edited by stoli

I wasn't talking about the fact that a criminal's medical records might be accessed by the police/authorities.

I was talking about the fact that after the police have done so, the details of that criminal's medical records end up being published in the newspaper, including the the dates of 20 hospital visits, that the file had no photo unlike the norm here, and what illnesses he had been treated for.

The guy was a convicted criminal and fugitive, and he was apprehended in part due to his traveling and being treated at the hospital. But should that be an excuse to throw open to the public the details of his medical file and treatment. I don't think so.

At least where I come from, a person's medical files and history are legally private, and not discloseable to anyone in the public or the news media without the patient's permission.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I wasn't talking about the fact that a criminal's medical records might be accessed by the police/authorities.

I was talking about the fact that after the police have done so, the details of that criminal's medical records end up being published in the newspaper, including the the dates of 20 hospital visits, that the file had no photo unlike the norm here, and what illnesses he had been treated for.

The guy was a convicted criminal and fugitive, and he was apprehended in part due to his traveling and being treated at the hospital. But should that be an excuse to throw open to the public the details of his medical file and treatment. I don't think so.

At least where I come from, a person's medical files and history are legally private, and not discloseable to anyone in the public or the news media without the patient's permission.

But it does happen even in the land of privacy, if they figure out who released the info they usually get fired.