Chiang Mai To Myanmar Via Plane?

EBF

Going just about anywhere from CNX is a silly price, compared with flying out from BKK. For some reason, Malaysia (KL) is one of very few places you can go from CNX, cheaply.

Myanmar is no exception - you'll be lucky to find listed (online) prices under 20,000 baht, and they go via BKK. Meanwhile if you book separately you can get a return CNX-BKK from around 4k and a return BKK-RGN from around 8k.

Air Bagan seems to maybe have a flight (it's listed on their 'routes' but not in their flight schedules), but price and availability seems to be a state secret - you may well have to visit their office.

Air Bagan seems to maybe have a flight (it's listed on their 'routes' but not in their flight schedules), but price and availability seems to be a state secret - you may well have to visit their office.

It's around 8-9000 every Thursday and Sunday, I think.

There's enough contact information to find out, but going to their office is best.

It's around 8-9000 every Thursday and Sunday, I think.

There's enough contact information to find out, but going to their office is best.

I can agree with 'Up" on this one...... was quoted US$ 300. 2 weeks ago..... Do be careful, there is no visa on arrival like some websites show. One must get a visa from the Bkk Embassy and it takes 5 working days , I was told. There is a visa on arrival for business visas with some pre approved paperwork and hoops to jump thru.

G

I can agree with 'Up" on this one...... was quoted US$ 300. 2 weeks ago..... Do be careful, there is no visa on arrival like some websites show. One must get a visa from the Bkk Embassy and it takes 5 working days , I was told. There is a visa on arrival for business visas with some pre approved paperwork and hoops to jump thru.

partytime2.gifguitar.gifdrunk.gifwai.gifwai2.gifbiggrin.png

You can also get the visa yourself in BKK but you'll lose a day - queuing in the morning to submit the papers and again in the afternoon to get back your passport with the visa. The Myanmar embassy is just over 5 minutes walk from Surasak BTS. People told me some travel agents will get you the visa for 1000 baht processing fee - they send some guy with a stack of passports down there to wait in the queue every day. Not sure about details however.

There's a copy shop in a small alley down the street (right hand side) from the Myanmar Embassy, they have the forms and also will make the required copies. Google for what you need to bring in terms of documentation.

If you havent been to Myanmar recently, make sure to book your accommodation beforehand. Tremendous numbers of airline seats have been added this year, but virtually no hotel rooms, and this means effectively a shortage. If all else fails, get a taxi driver to be your fixer. He will find you a room (at least always worked for me) in a hotel that's not on Tripadvisor or in Lonely Planet so the tourist hordes have not found and besieged it yet; but it will usually be a bit more expensive.

Chok Dee smile.png

Yes, hotel rooms are at a huge premium and pricey in Rangoon. There are guest houses of varying quality. Good luck with the airport shills!

Yes, do not believe the older posts about "on arrival" tourist visas. While the situation might change, the earlier announced policy was short-lived. Now, only business travelers, to my knowledge. Get a visa in Bangkok. That takes some time; usually a "next-day" pick-up requiring two fairly long but not difficult skyway trips from and back to "central" Bangkok and a short walk or two. For many people, it is much easier to use an agent.

Then again, you might wade across the Salween River! That might be fun! Then again, maybe not!