Confused By All The Mobile Handset's

Asiantravel

I want to buy a new phone but I'm totally confused by the vast range of different handset's

blink.png

the one I have at the moment is a very basic Nokia for which I only paid about 1000 baht a few years ago. Obviously it's got no features.

I have decided I want one of the Samsung models but which one is so hard to choose. I saw one yesterday for just 4250 baht and yet others are 9000. All the way to 20,000 baht.

I probably won't use it for Internet so will I be at any real disadvantage choosing the 4250 baht model? I think it's called the2012 Galaxy Y Duos. In other words what would I be missing out on by not buying the 9000 or even 20,000 baht model?

And I don't want something heavy in my pocket and I have noticed the more expensive models feel a bit heavier or is it just my imagination?

Any comments from anyone who has recently had to make the same decision about buying a new phone would be appreciated

wai2.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

Clearly you do use the internet, since you're here on Thai visa. If you also use (or want to get into) facebook, twitter, skype & other IM's amongst a ton of other stuff, once you switch to a smartphone you'll wonder how you ever managed without it.

It would be a good idea to start with a cheap one. It's not a waste of money and will work just fine as a phone if it's other features don't pique your interest - plus it's a small enough investment to not cry over if you find you like it and later on decide to ditch it in favour of a more 'bleeding edge' device... If you do end up getting hooked and "using" the thing, probably the first thing you will crave is a bigger and/or higher resolution screen.

OP: first make a list of features you plan to use on your new phone.

SMS (flat or threaded - CPU and RAM intensive)

Email (keyboard and/or bigger display if you type a lot)

GPS (bigger display)

Wifi (long battery life necessary for prolonged use)

Apps: twitter, facebook, thaivisa...

maps

photo camera (photo performance)

listen music (check earphone plug format and size)

calendar

contacts

mobile office (excel, word, powerpoint...)

etc.

then make your choice...

Clearly you do use the internet, since you're here on Thai visa. If you also use (or want to get into) facebook, twitter, skype & other IM's amongst a ton of other stuff, once you switch to a smartphone you'll wonder how you ever managed without it.

It would be a good idea to start with a cheap one. It's not a waste of money and will work just fine as a phone if it's other features don't pique your interest - plus it's a small enough investment to not cry over if you find you like it and later on decide to ditch it in favour of a more 'bleeding edge' device... If you do end up getting hooked and "using" the thing, probably the first thing you will crave is a bigger and/or higher resolution screen.

What I mean is that I have no intention of using the Internet on a tiny mobile phone. I'm quite happy to wait until I'm front of my computer. And anyway, I have the latest version of Dragon naturally speaking on my computer, which after about one year of voice training ( as you use it ) is now 98 % accurate, so I never touch the keyboard. I just speak into the microphone for all my correspondence, e-mail everything including this post on Thai visa.

smile.png

I have no intention whatsoever (and never will) in participating in Facebook, Twitter etc

• Like 1

GPS (bigger display)

maps

calendar

contacts

etc.

then make your choice...

That's a good approach manarak. Thanks very much for that tip.smile.png

I think it's just these. Other than just the telephone use yes being able to listen to music would be one important feature because right now with my basic phone I use a separate Cube MP3 player for this purpose. Everything else is not that important to me or it can wait until I'm back with my computer.

calendar

contacts

Edited by Asiantravel

GPS (bigger display)

maps

calendar

contacts

etc.

then make your choice...

I think it's just these. Other than just the telephone use yes being able to listen to music would be one important feature because right now with my basic phone I use a separate Cube MP3 player for this purpose. Everything else is not that important to me or it can wait until I'm back with my computer.

calendar

contacts

You should be able to buy a Samsung with Android, decent camera and Touchscreen for about 5000 to 6000 Baht.

Tesco and Big C had the best deals last time I checked.

Make sure the phone of choice uses standard USB or micro USB and standard 3.5mm jack for earphones and a standard Micro SD card.

Nice phones in this price range with good cameras include:

Samsung S5830i Galaxy Ace

HTC Desire C

GPS (bigger display)

maps

calendar

contacts

etc.

then make your choice...

calendar

contacts

You should be able to buy a Samsung with Android, decent camera and Touchscreen for about 5000 to 6000 Baht.

Tesco and Big C had the best deals last time I checked.

Make sure the phone of choice uses standard USB or micro USB and standard 3.5mm jack for earphones and a standard Micro SD card.

Nice phones in this price range with good cameras include:

Samsung S5830i Galaxy Ace

HTC Desire C

what about this one for only 4250 baht .( Samsung Galaxy Y Duos S6102 )

One reviewer said

" If u use it for only making calls and listening music.. then u can go for it. "

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_y_duos_s6102-reviews-4385.php

Some very good advice from Manarak for you.

If you are anywhere near Bangkok next weekend (Feb 7 - 10), they have a huge mobile phone show with all kinds of equipment to suit all budgets and specs.

I suggest that you pop along there with your sim(s) card and ask to try out a number of different handsets so that you can actually see what suits you most.

The actual phone manufacturers will be there, i-Mobile, Oppo, HTC, Samsung, Nokia etc etc and I am sure that there will be some very good offers with discounts free gifts etc, website address below for you:

www.thailandmobileexpo.com/

The actual phone manufacturers will be there, i-Mobile, Oppo, HTC, Samsung, Nokia etc etc and I am sure that there will be some very good offers with discounts free gifts etc, website address below for you:

Interesting, as I am in the market for a new tablet.

What's the best/easiest way to the expo (from Pattaya)? Bus/Mrt/BTS?

I think, travelling with own car doesn't make much sense...

Some very good advice from Manarak for you.

If you are anywhere near Bangkok next weekend (Feb 7 - 10), they have a huge mobile phone show with all kinds of equipment to suit all budgets and specs.

I suggest that you pop along there with your sim(s) card and ask to try out a number of different handsets so that you can actually see what suits you most.

Thanks for that.

Interesting, as I am in the market for a new tablet.

What's the best/easiest way to the expo (from Pattaya)? Bus/Mrt/BTS?

I think, travelling with own car doesn't make much sense...

Veltins,

Get the airport bus from Jomtien (opposite Pan Pan restaurant) to the Airport, then get the airport rail link to Phaya Thai, then get the Skytrain to Asok and then walk to the exhibition centre.

Check out the "how to get there" page on the official website of the QSNCC venue:

http://www.qsncc.co.th/venue-information/how-to-get-there.html

Edited by TommyTucker

• 2 weeks later...

In the UK I only use the phone for telephone calls. I very rarely text, I do not take photos on the phone, perhaps I could be persuaded otherwise.

What I really need is a phone to use in Thailand that handles Thai translations apps really well as I am really struggling on the communication front when I go up to the village.

Learning the language is proving a problem as I cannot 'hear' it.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.