Options For A Triathalon Bike (New/nearly New)?

steveromagnino

After a pretty long break, I am going to start doing tris again, and in the time of not racing, the technology has improved a fair bit, so I think I deserve to gain 20 seconds in the bike leg, with a nice new or nearly new carbon frame bike with decent rims on it. My old bike I may sell at a super cheap price or keep for riding in rough areas.

I'd prefer to buy locally, since import duty plus also local service is an issue, and so it's a decision of model and where to buy. Budget new 40 - 80,000b (1 or 2 sets of rims) 2nd hand a little less. Frame size something like a large of around 55/56 to match someone of normal proportions around 6 foot.

I know and like the guys at Bike Zone, Amarin Plaza for their QR, have heard of the place out in Srinakarin/Pattanakarn intersection, Cannondale in Suk 26 and a couple of options in Udomsuk. Bike Zone in Sarasin has a few treks but the price is a fair bit higher than QR (it seemed). Would consider any of the usual suspects; Giant, Specialized, Scott, QR, Cervelo, Cannondale, etc etc as I am a brand whore and a cheapskate. Relatively speaking.

I will likely only race sprints, at most olympic length, and will be racing at an age group level. I cannot make it through Phuket (too long) or a half ironman; no desire to train or work that hard; olympic was the longest I have done in the past, no need to go further than that.

Knowing how much people like to have new stuff, any guidance on how to tap into the 2nd hand hardly used rich kid group who want to ditch there very tamada 2011 bike with only ZIPP carbon rims for a 2013 would be appreciated...otherwise suggestions and advice on what works here much appreciated for either new or 2nd hand.

Thanks in advance......

Hi Steve,

I have a size 54, 2007 Felt F55 frame / fork / headset available.

The horizontal top tube length is 545 mm, which is too short for you for a road bike, but could be nice for a race bike with TT bars.

Aluminium front triangle, carbon fork and stays. Very light, very racey frame. Its in like new condition, very low miles on the frame. Might not be as new as you want, but certainly quick enough to race with and you could save money for better components / wheels.

BB

Chiang Mai

Hey BBbUn (there must be a good story behind a name like that).

Will try to find a FELT dealer in BKK and see if the frame size fits etc; might be interesting. Not so concerned with age, but obviously excessive use is something that wouldn't be so great.

Was hoping for carbon frame, but the right weight alloy might be interesting....

Send me any more info by PM; :_) cheers