I-Mobile Iq6 Evaluation After 2 Days Of Use.

oz457

After all, I have finally purchased the i-mobile IQ6... released the 24th of January. Purchase price: 8490 Baht minus a member card from Lotus Tesco value of 548 Baht. Total price of the phone: 7942 Baht. Very good value for the performance of this phone.

I am coming from a small 800 Mhz ZTE Blade phone, so the change is enormous.

The screen is much larger and this is good for me, because I'm getting difficulties with short sight. I try to avoid using glasses, so this mobile phone is much better for me.

The phone is running Android 4.1.1, not rooted.

I will try to root the phone once it has been fully documented on the websites. Any info is always welcome.

Speed: 9,5/10

I can run DIVX movies I normally view on my own laptop, MP4 files, etc. I have not seen any shocks when playing the movies.

FULL HD camera is asking too much processor power (see lower)

Screen: 9,5/10

No problem using the phone in full daylight. I never had to put my hand over the screen to have a better screen view, so, all I can say: PERFECT

Touchscreen: 10/10

Smoothly, very accurate.

Battery life: 7/10

I'm picky here... I'm a heavy user. This means, I use it all day. I can go about 6 hours on a full charge with permanent use.

I'll solve the problem like I have always done in the past: buy a pair of spare batteries with a battery charger, change the battery with a fully charged battery by taking it out of the phone. I hate all these phones where you have non removable batteries (i.e. Iphone, Sony Ericcson, etc.). I have learned my lesson from some friend who had a phone that did not allow to take out the battery. It fell in the water, and because the battery could not be removed, it ruined the phone completely. If you can remove the battery, circuitry won't short.

Sound and speakers 7/10

There is still some work here. I think the phone is not loud enough, but I'll try to put some software on it and I hope I won't burn the speaker when over-driving the speaker.

Camera 9,5/10

This is the part where I have been surprised the most. Even my nikon camera does not take pictures that are that good. Of course, you don't have a optical zoom, but the 12 million pixels makes the pictures come out really perfect.

I have been using the camera also as video camera. It can go as high as super HD 1988 x 1280 pixels. I think they have added this camera without checking if the processor would be able to handle to compress the movie in real time. This is where you see some problems, and I do not recommend the use HD on this camera. The standard HD 1280 * 1028 quality works perfect though. I think you have to be an expert to be able to see the difference between both video quality settings. So 1280 x 1028 video is just perfect

The camera comes with a handy panoramic automated assistance, so just make 1 shot, turn around and the camera does the rest. I have not seen any red eye effect so far. In very sober light, the video and pictures start to pixellate, but you'll get that with any camera.

Other stuff, it comes with a silicon case, screen protection cover, headset and of course a charger for the LiPolimer battery.

One final thing, I have not been able to use the knob on the headset to pick up a call. Maybe it is me, maybe a bug.

I also sometimes get a message in Spanish language when charging and using my phone as an access point, so I can surf the web with the wifi of my computer over the i-mobile. Another small bug.

Overall, 9,2/10. That is very high.

Please allow me to tell you I have never used any Galaxy IIIS. I have played around with the Iphone, but as I have written a little higher in the review, this phone is not good for me due to the battery restrictions.

Any questions, let me know.

• Like 1

Thanks Oz for the feedback, it certainly sounds like a brilliant phone for 8,500 baht.

I have an earlier model which I am impressed with, the main reason for buying it was dual sim with internet/e-mail etc.

Does the IQ6 let you choose which sim card to make the calls with, have address books for each sim card and can answer calls from either sim card?

Can you test its GPS capabilities (signal strength, if possible, inside a car or taxi) please?

And screen is 4.7" or 5" or more?

Can't find full english info in here:

http://www.siamphone.com/en/i-mobile/iq6.htm

I believe cpu is mediatek 6577. However there is no single word on HSPA+ support (21 Mbit max 3G speed). So I assume it is HSDPA (7.2 Mbit) or HSUPA (7.2 down / 5.76 up) at best.

Hi all,

@TommyTucker @damole

everything can be configured. You can have the phone ask you at every call which sim card you want to use, you can force the phone to use one of the two sims for phone, you can configure the data over 1 of the sims (of course, you can't have data on both sims at the same time) and you can force to have only 3G , 2G or automatic, i.e. 3 G as a preferred data network connection.

@muratremix

I have Tom Tom SEasia on the phone works perfect. Very fast and in the car, on the backseat have a good satellite receive.

But..... I have the phone that fell on the ground and since then, it has a very bad operator reception. I had to bring back the phone. No visible damage on the phone from the shock, but it is very strange to me that the receive of the operator signal has gone down. I don't know it is due to the shock. The think is, they give a nice silicone body with the phone that makes the phone very resistant to shocks.

So, I had to bring it back to the Big-C where I bought the phone. As the phone was not yet purchased less than 7 days, they have taken it back, as it was undamaged.

I wanted to exchange it, but they are out of stock.

So, the thing is: is this a generic problem or not? Maybe I had bad luck, but I remember before the shock the receive has gone down.

To give you an idea, I live right next to a DTAC antenna. The signal was only half. The 12call AIS antenna is about 2 km away from my home. I didn't have any signal any more although I had a full receive before I started to have the problems.

As I have been refunded, I am desperately looking around for a new one. But they seem to be sold out a little everywhere I have been. I live upcountry between Kalasin and Khon Kaen. A phone call to BigC in KK also reveiled they are out of stock and they won't get any in.

I will go down to Bangkok by the beginning of next week, and I hope to buy one in Bangkok.

I hope I will be more lucky next time.

Just looking for other people who have bought the mobile IQ6.

Kurt

Well, the wife and I visited the Mobile Expo 2013 in Bangkok on Thursday, quite an impressive show with lots and lots of deals to be had.

We took a tour of the main hall with Oppo, Nokia, Samsung, HTC, i-Mobile, Sony etc etc and we ended up purchasing a pair of i-Mobile IQ6.

We were at the front of the stand and whilst we completed the paperwork for our phones they sold all their stock of IQ6's! People were asking when there would be more for sale and they said in a few hours. My wife tried to buy a case of her IQ6 and was told they are not due in until March at the earliest.

We got a good deal: 8,490 baht with a free 16gb sd card, we also received t-shirts and had the opportunity of buying a 5,200 am "Power pack" for 299 baht! This is sold with 4 adaptors (micro usb, apple connector, samsung usb connector and another one). You are also given two lucky dip tickets which resulted in a discount of 150 baht for us, so we got two power packs for 448 baht! We then registered with the i-Mobile Club and were given some pens and cuddly hedgehog toys

The phone comes with the usual headphones with mic, charger etc, but also a rubber case cover, a screen protector film (which they fitted free of charge) a screen cleaning cloth

Now have had two days getting used to the phone and all I can say is, it is very very impressive - 12mp camera really sharp and great photo's and video, screen that is so clear, dual sim cards, skype, calls are clear and texting, e-mails, are easy. It also has preloaded app called "Line" that allows free texts and calls to other users! This only applies to Thailand and some countries in South East Asia, but very handy.

So if you are looking for a mid range smartphone that has two sim cards that are active all the time, and load of other features then I don't think you can beat it for 8,490 baht (£ 170.00).

I would strongly recommend buying the Power Pack as well for 299 baht (£ 6.00) as it does use power when using some apps.

The show finishes tomorrow (Sunday) so if you are after anything to do with mobile phones get down there and bag yourself a deal, by the way Digipac waterproof cases from Korea for 500 baht - you can take photos and video underwater to a depth of 10m!, also keeps the sand out on the beach.

Nice review and nice to hear about the phone show.

The wife is in the market for a new smartphone but she likes to drop her phone A LOT so maybe this is just the thing to keep her happy.

Thanks

Have been looking around for a second attempt to buy the IQ6 here in Isarn area. Nowhere available. How is the availability in Bangkok? Are they available in the Big-C's, Tesco's, or in the smaller shops?

I will go down to Bangkok

It were purchase coupons you could use at your next purchase. We went shopping after buying the phone and used the coupons to buy food.

It seems it is also possible to have VAT refund at departure if you go to the counter when checking out the country, what I will do when I go home.

I'm going to buy Jiayu G3 for $193 usd from chinese online retailer after extended chinese new year holiday ends.

4.5" 720p IPS gorilla screen, 1 ghz dualcore 6577, 1 gb ram, 2750 mah battery and 8mp camera.

Just to try an Android phone (I have iPhone 5 and iPad retina), and then give it away to my sister in Homecountry.

I've been reading various reviews about I-mobile phones and have been impressed by the responses I've read.

The only problem I can see with the IQ6 is that it only supports 3G internet @850MHz, there's no 900 MHz option. So you won't be able to use an AIS sim and get 3G, plus, as far as I'm aware, all the UK networks use 900 MHz for their 3G internet so for those people going to/living in the UK although the phone will work fine you will only be able to access the slower 2G internet which, of course, is no good for video calls and video streaming.

The IQ1 does however support both 850 MHz and 900MHz 3G internet systems but it only has an 8 megapixel camera, a 4.5in screen and a slightly smaller battery. It does have a TV option though.

The two phones have similar specs in all other areas.

http://product.i-mob...­-i-mobile-iq-6

http://product.i-mob...­-i-mobile-iq-1

• Like 1

I've been reading various reviews about I-mobile phones and have been impressed by the responses I've read.

The only problem I can see with the IQ6 is that it only supports 3G internet @850MHz, there's no 900 MHz option. So you won't be able to use an AIS sim and get 3G, plus, as far as I'm aware, all the UK networks use 900 MHz for their 3G internet so for those people going to/living in the UK although the phone will work fine you will only be able to access the slower 2G internet which, of course, is no good for video calls and video streaming.

The IQ1 does however support both 850 MHz and 900MHz 3G internet systems but it only has an 8 megapixel camera, a 4.5in screen and a slightly smaller battery. It does have a TV option though.

There are two versions of the new IQ6, IQ6 & IQ6A. One uses 850mhz and the other 900mhz just choose the one suitable for your sim card provider

i'm certain UK 3g is 2100mhz.. see here. http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

the imobiles still support 900 and 1800 2g

Edited by thaicbr

There are two versions of the new IQ6, IQ6 & IQ6A. One uses 850mhz and the other 900mhz just choose the one suitable for your sim card provider

I realise that williewolf BUT that means once you've decided on you're provider and bought your phone you're stuck with it, firstly you can't change providers (unless you choose DTAC or True on 850MHz, but AIS would still be a no, no), and secondly you may then not be able to access 3G internet in another country.

Not ideal and for people who travel to different countries and where 3G internet is important. It could steer them away from what is otherwise a very good phone for the money.

For example I live in Thailand so, as 3G here is patchy to say the least, I would obviously choose a provider that gives me the best 3G connection here, but if that was DTAC (or True) then my phone wouldn't be any good for 3G access during the times I have to return to the UK.That's the very time when I would need 3G to keep in daily contact with my wife and daughter back in Thailand via Skype.

Even for people within Thailand there must be a lot where, say, DTAC/True is better where they're living but AIS is better ,back in the village.

There must be a lot of people in a similar position to me and, as i-mobile have already put both options into a single phone in the IQ1, it's a shame they didn't put the same facility into the larger screen IQ6 phone as well.

• Like 1

http://product.i-mob...-i-mobile-iq-6

http://product.i-mob...-i-mobile-iq-1

I realise that williewolf BUT that means once you've decided on you're provider and bought your phone you're stuck with it, firstly you can't change providers (unless you choose DTAC or True on 850MHz, but AIS would still be a no, no), and secondly you may then not be able to access 3G internet in another country.

Not ideal and for people who travel to different countries and where 3G internet is important. It could steer them away from what is otherwise a very good phone for the money.

For example I live in Thailand so, as 3G here is patchy to say the least, I would obviously choose a provider that gives me the best 3G connection here, but if that was DTAC (or True) then my phone wouldn't be any good for 3G access during the times I have to return to the UK.That's the very time when I would need 3G to keep in daily contact with my wife and daughter back in Thailand via Skype.

Even for people within Thailand there must be a lot where, say, DTAC/True is better where they're living but AIS is better ,back in the village.

There must be a lot of people in a similar position to me and, as i-mobile have already put both options into a single phone in the IQ1, it's a shame they didn't put the same facility into the larger screen IQ6 phone as well.

3g in the UK is 2100mhz. Your imobile phone would have that as well.

also 2100mhz is going to be the standard in Thailand starting later this year.

JUST IN CASE YOU NEVER NOTICED UK 3G FREQUENCY IS 2100mhz. All the I-mobile phones stated have 2100mhz 3g. All i-style and IQ I-mobile phones have 2100mhz 3g

Edited by thaicbr

i'm certain UK 3g is 2100mhz.. see here. http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

the imobiles still support 900 and 1800 2g

3G is, for most countries, on 850MHz and/or 900MHz. Some countries have/are also introducing 3G on 2100MHz.

According to the list you provided the UK is using 2100MHz but I know all providers actually use 900MHz because I checked with all the providers when deciding which sim card to use when I went there three months ago. (incidently three offer a thirty day package of 300 minutes, 3000 texts and truely unlimited 3G data [no 'fair usage limits'] for £15. That for me was the best deal I could find).

And it says Thailand uses 850/2100MHz but AIS uses neither of them, it uses 900MHz.

To see what frequency your phone is capable of using see here: http://www.gsmarena.com/

JUST IN CASE YOU NEVER NOTICED UK 3G FREQUENCY IS 2100mhz.

No it's not. I'm actually still in the UK so I've just phoned Three to ask them again. They've just told me their 3G FREQUENCY DEFINITELY RUNS ON 900MHz.

Well you didn't say 3.

O2 and Vodafone use 2100mhz as does most of Europe.

JUST IN CASE YOU NEVER NOTICED UK 3G FREQUENCY IS 2100mhz.

No it's not. I'm actually still in the UK so I've just phoned Three to ask them again. They've just told me their 3G FREQUENCY DEFINITELY RUNS ON 900MHz.

Well you didn't say 3.

O2 and Vodafone use 2100mhz as does most of Europe.

Also it would seem that you got told wrong. According to 3's wiki page the UK 3 network runs on 2100mhz 3g and 1800mhz 2g.

http://blog.three.co.uk/2011/11/25/spectrum-2/

Edited by thaicbr

The silly things is that these are dual SIM phones, meaning they were designed to work on more than one network simultaneously so it makes no sense not to include all frequencies bands. This is the one thing that is putting me off buying one. I am also on 3 when I am back in the UK but I am also in India a lot too so I'd just like a phone that was tri-band for 3G.

I just bought a Google Nexus 7 3G here and I'm happy that it is quad band for 2G and tri-band for 3G. I know iMobile is not an international brand but given it does take two SIMs and since the introduction of number portability it doesn't make any sense to make a phone restricted to particular provider's network.

--damole

I see the following can work in either 850 and 900MHz frequencies:

i-mobile i-STYLE Q2

i-mobile i-STYLE Q2 DUO

i-mobile IQ1

Though it seems every 3G-capable phone can work in 2100MHz. Is 2100MHz the new world standard?

2100mhz 3g has been the world standard (Europe etc) from the beginning. Some countries have started using 850/900 for better rural coverage. Ie the signal goes further on the lower frequencys.

2100mhz 3g has been the world standard (Europe etc) from the beginning. Some countries have started using 850/900 for better rural coverage. Ie the signal goes further on the lower frequencys.

It appears that it would be a better idea to get the "AIS" version of smartphones (e.g. "IQ6A") if you want to be able to use 3G on the phone and get wider coverage in other countries, as the 900MHz frequency is more commonplace than 850MHz worldwide.

Here is my simple analysis of this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks

Continent 850 count 900 count 2100 count
Africa	0		 0		 23		
Americas 38		37		9		
Asia	 5		 8		 70		
Europe	0		 27		151	
Oceania 3		 4		 6		

World	 46		76		259

Even in the Americas where 850MHz is most common, 900MHz is almost as equally common.

I was finally able to get a hand on a new IQ6. Those who have also bought the IQ6, could you please check if your headset control button works or not. On both phones I have had, the headset button did not work. I want to map it with a program called ZELLO, but it does not work.

Maybe we need to have root access. If someone has any news or information on how to root the phone. I need to root it to put some security software, to be able to make a full backup and to probably do the mapping of the headset. I found some info here.

• 2 weeks later...

No stylus. I`ve got my IQ6A since 2 days. An amazing (chinese) phone. I am very satisfied with the 5 inch screen and battery power. Smaler size than the Samsung Galaxy Grande. And just 140 gramms. Nice camera as well. As long as you've got enough light. I-mobile phones are also sold (and very popular) in the Philippines and "Starmobile" branded. I guess not the same company but the same supplier. By now they don`t have the IQ6. Here is the IQ2 http://starmobile.com.ph/product-crystal.php

Test: http://www.unbox.ph/gadget/starmobile-crystal-review-mid-range-performance-at-an-entry-level-price/

Edited by kgerster

• 2 weeks later...

After buying two "DiCAPac" waterproof cases of our IQ6's, my wife had the courage to use her case at the weekend and took photo's and HD video of our dauaghter swimming with her IQ6 underwater in the deep end!

I am very pleased to say that the phone was a "dry as a bone" and when we viewed the photo's and video on the computer they were both excellent!

So as well as a great dual sim phone we have an underwater 12MP camera and a HD video camera.

• 1 month later...

I'm a Wolves fan too - and I think I shall buy one of these phones tomorrow.