Budget (Living In Thailand)

SkyRider

I'm trying to estimate my living in Bangkok / Pattaya Budget. (USD per year). I've tried to think of all costs. I factored in extra costs which I may have not thought of yet, and unexpected costs. I also factored in $2500 for emergency costs, I hope I would not have an emergency that would cost more then that, but many things can happen in life, so it's difficult to estimate that variable

Ideally, I would like to have a budget of 20K per year - but I don't think that is possible for me. The most I can seem to get my estimated costs down to is 26K. I could easily spend 30K or more if I am not careful.

$3030 - rent, electric, internet

$1000 - school

$255 - 90 day immigration reports

$250 - visa run

$2500 - wine

$130 - water

$3670 - dinner

$1815 - breakfast

$60 - haircuts

$600 - personal care (toothpaste, shampoo, etc)

$2020 - entertainment

$2180 - travel

$290 - vitamins

$1700 - medicine/inr

$2000 - health insurance

$1000 - extra costs

$1000 - unexpected costs

$2500- emergencies

$26,000 - Total

unexpected costs,have you a partner? if so and she is thai there will be plenty,if not why pattaya?there's plenty of hidden costs there,its not for settling down anymore,ok if you want to live like a tourist but 15,000bht a week wont go far,so can we have a little bit more of your expectations and situation.then you will get all the answers your looking for.30yrs and still learning.

Ummm, I live comfortably on way less than this up in Chiang Mai (like I've bought Apple computers and iPhone and iPad and furniture and appliances - washing machine, refrig. etc. - and spend less per year). So you'll be alright - can up that wine budget a little and drink the good stuff. (or skip the extra costs, unexpected costs, emergencies, and you can put in climate controlled wine cellar)

unexpected costs,have you a partner? if so and she is thai there will be plenty,if not why pattaya?there's plenty of hidden costs there,its not for settling down anymore,ok if you want to live like a tourist but 15,000bht a week wont go far,so can we have a little bit more of your expectations and situation.then you will get all the answers your looking for.30yrs and still learning.

I'm in Pattaya because I like the beach resort atmosphere.

I'm in a new relationship with a Thai girl, only one month now - I'm aware that can have unexpected costs. She has a job, she doesn't need my full support.

My expectations, looking at costs, I'm concerned about being able to stay under a 25K per year budget. I'm not working here, I need a work permit first, I know that is difficult to get, but that would help a lot.

I can move back to the States, but I'd like to stay in Thailand, if possible.

I've always thought that a budget of 65,000 baht a month was about the minimum needed, which also equates to the immigration requirement. Your budget is smack on that. The rent element though doesn't leave much, about 5,000 baht a month for a room ?? You can get a room for that but it won't be much. It's odd you plan to spend as much on wine as you do on rent. Also the entertainment budget at 166 baht a day ?? Unless you like a really quiet life that is too small. It buys about 2 beers a day, and no female company.

Ummm, I live comfortably on way less than this up in Chiang Mai (like I've bought Apple computers and iPhone and iPad and furniture and appliances - washing machine, refrig. etc. - and spend less per year). So you'll be alright - can up that wine budget a little and drink the good stuff. (or skip the extra costs, unexpected costs, emergencies, and you can put in climate controlled wine cellar)

Tha's good to hear. I'm always shocked when I do a budget, and see that wine is one of my biggest expenses :P

But I do think it is better to try to have a certain amount estimated for emergancies - because they can, and usually do happen - so I don't think I can have the wine celler :P

I've always thought that a budget of 65,000 baht a month was about the minimum needed, which also equates to the immigration requirement. Your budget is smack on that. The rent element though doesn't leave much, about 5,000 baht a month for a room ?? You can get a room for that but it won't be much. It's odd you plan to spend as much on wine as you do on rent. Also the entertainment budget at 166 baht a day ?? Unless you like a really quiet life that is too small. It buys about 2 beers a day, and no female company.

I'm paying about $7500 for my room, including electricty and internet, and I think it's a nice room.

I don't necessarily need a quite life, but I haven't been going out much lately either, got tired of the bar scene. I've been staying in with my girlfriend - but we drink alot of wine, thus the high wine cost. I would love to get that wine cost down, but it's difficult to find good wine here, and it's expensive.

I'm in Pattaya because I like the beach resort atmosphere.

I'm in a new relationship with a Thai girl, only one month now - I'm aware that can have unexpected costs. She has a job, she doesn't need my full support.

My expectations, looking at costs, I'm concerned about being able to stay under a 25K per year budget. I'm not working here, I need a work permit first, I know that is difficult to get, but that would help a lot.

I can move back to the States, but I'd like to stay in Thailand, if possible.

steady as you go mate you have only known your girlfreind for one month,i spent 4yrs in patts[80's] and sampled the local produce it was a joy to live there until the scamers and crimminals started to arrive,then it was time to go to greener pastures,met the wf.of over 22yrs.now and havent looked back.she decided to give the uk.a try and stayed there 19yrs.till it started to go the same way as her home country been back living here over 3yrs. and my next move will be in a box to the local temple.do i love it here yes but we are not in a tourist area,nice house,nice car,very quiet,retired,no money worries[thats down to the wf.] and no family to support[hers] but we do have our beloved dog[avatar].so you can live happly here if you take your time and learn the do's and dont's.as for finding a job which you have to rely on please take time to read the posts over the last yr.or more of the ups and downs regarding living in los.good luck.
  • Like 1