Chain Lube Choices In Chiang Mai Etc.

CobraSnakeNecktie

Hi everybody

Just surveyed Jacky, Chitawat and Full cycle(the one near to Gat Luang)

Not a lot of choices.

Wet lubes from Muc off and Finish line.

I am not much fan of wet lubes because they cake up the free wheel and fling lube boogers onto the chain stays.

Wax lubes from Finish line and Pedros.

I find the Pedros wax is very noisy useless product.

Any other sources people can point to?

My favorites are Boeshield and Squirt which I bring from the US.

Any tips or vendors to know about?

I use Chain-L No.5, although it's a wet lube but it really quietens the drivetrain and reapplying the lube is pretty easy. It does have a tendency to gather a lot of muck if you apply too much though.

Chain-L No.5 is my first-line chain lube, too, since years.

I demount the chain (SRAM master link, works fine even with Shimano chains), clean it with diesel and a tooth brush link by link, blow it out by a compressor, oil it (link by link) from the inner side and let it soak during night. In the morning I remove the surplus oil by a clean cloth. Good for about 300 kms, depends on the dust situation. Meaning 15 mins soft job for 10 days of undisturbed cycling joy. So your chain can last 5'000 kms or more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These days I use Finish Line (small black and green bottle, available at most bike shops, 105 - 120 thb per bottle).

Its convenient, but it usually won't last an entire ride on my mountain bike. I carry a little bit, in a 30 ml bottle, to reapply on my ride home.

I used to cook my chains in a mixture of candle wax and motor oil - sort of a dry wax. It sort of worked. Less convenient, and since I now have a 10 speed and the chain doesn't come off easily anymore, back to regular lube.

That said, lube or no lube, my chains still last only about 6 months... i've found my chain checker tool to be really useful. Hopefully if I change my chain early enough the rings and casette won't need replacing as often.

• 4 weeks later...

There is over 20 bicycle shops in Chiang Mai, get your wife/girlfriend to give them a call and find out what they stock, that is how I found Chamious Cream when I needed it.

http://bicyclethailand.com/bicycle-shops-in-chiang-mai-province-thailand/

Where did you get the chamois cream? What brand? how much?

I think the quality stuff is just a a handful of the shops.

Jacky, TCA, Chittawat, VeloCity, or Full Cycle. The rest are really small shops.

The ebay seller September19 is maybe associated with ProBike in BKK and good prices and shipping for shimano stuff.

• 4 weeks later...