Thailand Corners The Big Fat Indian Wedding Market

webfact

Thailand Corners the Big Fat Indian Wedding Market

By Chandrahas Choudhury

NEW DELHI: -- The Greeks can say what they like -- nobody does the big fat wedding the way Indians do. The Indian nuptials' long parade of rituals and feasts lasts several days and, even at its smallest, involves a few hundred guests and often just as many staff members.

newsjsIndians never spend so lavishly on anything as they do on weddings -- and they've never spent as much on weddings as they do today, two decades after the liberalization of the economy and the revolution in consumer consciousness that followed it.

The Indian wedding industry is now worth more than $25 billion a year -- and it's growing at an estimated 20 percent a year. If marrying was the central activity of the Indian economy, we'd knock out China in a few years. [more...]

Full story: http://www.bloomberg...ing-market.html

-- Bloomberg 2013-02-07

footer_n.gif

Wouldn't be so rosy if only they knew what the Thais think of them.

It's a bit shocking when you first experience it. I was sitting on the back of my friend's gf's motorbike as we were driving through patong one night and she was getting annoyed with the Indian drivers and pedestrians and was letting loose a series of expletives and racist comments. I couldn't help but laugh at her ignorance and trying to explain how lame she was, especially since her business relied on those Indian tourists. It didn't click. I'm sure she probably has a few choice words to say about me too. giggle.gif

• Like 1

You have no idea the lengths Indians go to for their weddings, as for spending lavishly this may be true in the planning - getting them to actually pay the amount at the end is a very different story. Some hotels, will not accept this business as the return of investment is simply not worth the headaches involved!

• Like 1

This is one I witnessed the other week.

post-34728-0-54460300-1360215249_thumb.j

Included 2 elephant parading round the hotel grounds with hundreds of guests, The welcome sign said it was THREE DAYS long.

post-34728-0-30620200-1360215019_thumb.j

3 days long? About the same time as a modern marriage lasts in the West- then follows a one year divorce coffee1.gif

There are companies here already doing these, and some very successfully as they are run by Farang. The Thai attempts to my knowledge are rather lame as you have both sides trying to rip each other off. The fast buck may be the attraction for the Thai's but doing the job in a mediocre fashion means the Indian people have every right to argue final costs.

You have no idea the lengths Indians go to for their weddings, as for spending lavishly this may be true in the planning - getting them to actually pay the amount at the end is a very different story. Some hotels, will not accept this business as the return of investment is simply not worth the headaches involved!

Every Indian asked about whether they'd consider having a family wedding in Thailand has laughed incredulously with raised eyebrows. It is a different religion with different customs and who is going to fly 200 guests to a foreign country for such a momentous occasion? Honeymoons,yes, but weddings? Just ask Thais if they would go to India to have their wedding. Not a chance. In addition to the unfamiliar culture and cuisine, you have elders and disableds for whom such a notion is ludicrous. This so-called strategy of spending money to attract this market to Thailand is questionable at best, and would not stand the light of day at the worst. Remember, they print a very expensive magazine in Thai language only to promote Thailand to Thai people. Inbound travelers never see it. What does this tell you? .............You are correct.

• Like 1

Thailand was chosen as a venue for the wedding as we felt that it is 'a kingdom of dreams'," says Kasu.

"The approximate costs are around half a million [u.S.] dollars. This figure includes the airfares, hotel accommodation, food, transportation, the yachts on hire and the actual wedding ceremony expenses," for 225 to 250 guests from India and elsewhere, he says.

More than 8,000 people came from India last year to attend about 40 weddings, averaging 200 guests per wedding, Sansern says.

Half the ceremonies were performed in Bangkok, a third in Phuket, and the remainder at other destinations.

"Last year, we had around 500 to 600 couples from China. But we will get the numbers slowly coming up."

http://travel.cnn.com/bangkok/visit/thailand-wants-worlds-big-fat-wedding-business-765345

• 5 months later...

I have a sneaking feeling we mortal souls of giving and living here reporting every 90 days, supporting Thai families and sometimes communities are now not welcome.

Thai want high end visitors====Indian (fat) weddings======Gays======Muslems====Israelites=====Chinese on package tours======Russian business (walking street) and foreign go go girls=====Elite card holders======Golfing holidays and more FINE BUT it is most of us ex pats here semi perm/holidaying 6 months and yearlong who reside here. I think you Thai authorities have got all mixed up and TAT --you don't know what you want from one day to another, in the end you will lose ALL.

Go for all types, and TAKE CARE of the ones that took care of you when you first started all them 40 years ago.

• Like 2