Yingluck: 2013 Will Be The Year Of Thailand

webfact

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CMK, I have to respond to your telling other posters that I think rural means farmers, If I said 70% of Thailand is rural, that does NOT mean 70% are farmers. To my mind in that 70% of rural area millions are NOT working -as in Work-accountable to really no one, existance living,hand to mouth, living off the bar girl/boy Post office money.....etc hidden faceless people that are not employed by anyone. you still believe in 1%.

I was responding to the following posts written by ginjag, “70 % of Thai is rural, and a large part of that rural workforce is NOT accountable, they do not report to anyone, no surveys are carried out in local areas.” And, “So I am mistaken about 70% of rural Thailand being fully employed”

If you want to read the whole post it's on the third page I think. I thought ginjag might think 70% of Thais were farmers.

OK. So it was just a case of syntactical ambivalence

rolleyes.gif A strong stock market in Thailand is NOT a benefit for Tailand in the long run.

The money that is coming in will only be in Thailand temporarily.... it is here only on a speculative basis due to the relative strength of Thailand's economy compared to the terrible shape of other options.

In fact it's short term money ... and when something better becomes available Thailand will be the jilted lover .... and all the suitors will leave the plain girl for the prettier one.

That could be the year of 2014 for Thailand.

It\'s not that Thailand's economy is doing so well, it's just that it looks good in comparison to other choices

For example, I personally doubt that building of all these condos and high end shopping malls in Bangkok can be sustained or justified on economic grounds... but I may be wrong.

I'm afraid we shall see that in the next year or so.

It's easy to see everything coming up roses if you're wearing rose colored glasses.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

So it seems no one knows how unemployment is worked out in this country.

Ok carry on with your arguments, dosent really matter in relation to them.

Maybe this will get you started, http://www2.bot.or.t...93&language=eng

No CMK the question I asked was HOW they are worked out not what the numbers are.

You see I get areound the place a bit and everywhere I go I see, men mostly, sitting around drinking, smoking or just talking and I wonder where they get the Baht.

This country has a large what in other countries would be called a black economy of small stall or barrow holders who I doubt ever pay any tax or appear on statistics so it seems to me that compiling adult statistics must be a fair bit of guess work.

Which side do you think any error would be on?

I understood your question. I posted the employment information from the Bank of Thailand because that is the place to start in your quest for how the unemployment rate is figured.

I am not an economic guru but I think Thailand uses the same formula to compute unemployment as New Zealand. Seems to me that unemployment statistics would be useless if every country figured their own formula. So I would guess the UN has your answer.

All the information you seek is available if you read the link I gave you and follow the information trail.

For example about those guys sitting around; they are called, underemployed and are about .05% of the total employed persons.

As far as the black or gray market area you would probably want to read, “The Informal Employment Survey 2012 (Thailand). S2-046-F-55-00-000-000-B it costs $10.

Of course all the information you seek is out there but some of it you have to pay for. However if you report it here it seems rather useless if it goes against the negative view of Thailand held by so many posters here. Over and over again one runs into the tired line of it is not the same as my personal experience which is of course nonsense.

For example I can state with no doubts as of November 2012, it was found that for population aged 15 years and over of 54.70 million persons. 40.17 million were in the labor force or available for work (39.97 million were employed, 0.16 million were unemployed and 40 thousand were seasonally inactive labor force). While 14.53 million were not in the labor force or not available for work such as housewives, students or seniors.

To which some posters would say, “well that does not include my Lek and her son Somchai because they were hiding in a cave in Tikiabuli and no one counted them so your numbers are off.

See what I mean?

Edited by chiangmaikelly

CMK, I have to respond to your telling other posters that I think rural means farmers, If I said 70% of Thailand is rural, that does NOT mean 70% are farmers. To my mind in that 70% of rural area millions are NOT working -as in Work-accountable to really no one, existance living,hand to mouth, living off the bar girl/boy Post office money.....etc hidden faceless people that are not employed by anyone. you still believe in 1%.

16.83 million are employed in Agriculture. Non agriculture 23.14 million. 14.53 million were not in the labor force or available for work, such as housewives, students, old folks. For a population aged 15 and over of 54.70 million, 40.17 were in the labor force or available for work. You can do the %'s.

rolleyes.gif A strong stock market in Thailand is NOT a benefit for Tailand in the long run.

The money that is coming in will only be in Thailand temporarily.... it is here only on a speculative basis due to the relative strength of Thailand's economy compared to the terrible shape of other options.

In fact it's short term money ... and when something better becomes available Thailand will be the jilted lover .... and all the suitors will leave the plain girl for the prettier one.

That could be the year of 2014 for Thailand.

It\'s not that Thailand's economy is doing so well, it's just that it looks good in comparison to other choices

For example, I personally doubt that building of all these condos and high end shopping malls in Bangkok can be sustained or justified on economic grounds... but I may be wrong.

I'm afraid we shall see that in the next year or so.

It's easy to see everything coming up roses if you're wearing rose colored glasses.

So, the stock market up, everyone has a job, investment is up, hotel openings are up, tourism is up, GDP is up. Thailand is recognized by the World Bank as “one of the great development success stories."

So I guess you think the above three rating agencies have on rose colored glasses too?

So it seems no one knows how unemployment is worked out in this country.

Ok carry on with your arguments, dosent really matter in relation to them.

No CMK the question I asked was HOW they are worked out not what the numbers are.

You see I get areound the place a bit and everywhere I go I see, men mostly, sitting around drinking, smoking or just talking and I wonder where they get the Baht.

This country has a large what in other countries would be called a black economy of small stall or barrow holders who I doubt ever pay any tax or appear on statistics so it seems to me that compiling adult statistics must be a fair bit of guess work.

I understood your question. I posted the employment information from the Bank of Thailand because that is the place to start in your quest for how the unemployment rate is figured.

I am not an economic guru but I think Thailand uses the same formula to compute unemployment as New Zealand. Seems to me that unemployment statistics would be useless if every country figured their own formula. So I would guess the UN has your answer.

All the information you seek is available if you read the link I gave you and follow the information trail.

For example about those guys sitting around; they are called, underemployed and are about .05% of the total employed persons.

As far as the black or gray market area you would probably want to read, “The Informal Employment Survey 2012 (Thailand). S2-046-F-55-00-000-000-B it costs $10.

Of course all the information you seek is out there but some of it you have to pay for. However if you report it here it seems rather useless if it goes against the negative view of Thailand held by so many posters here. Over and over again one runs into the tired line of it is not the same as my personal experience which is of course nonsense.

For example I can state with no doubts as of November 2012, it was found that for population aged 15 years and over of 54.70 million persons. 40.17 million were in the labor force or available for work (39.97 million were employed, 0.16 million were unemployed and 40 thousand were seasonally inactive labor force). While 14.53 million were not in the labor force or not available for work such as housewives, students or seniors.

To which some posters would say, “well that does not include my Lek and her son Somchai because they were hiding in a cave in Tikiabuli and no one counted them so your numbers are off.

See what I mean?

The Unemployment rate is determined through a monthly household survey, if you have worked 1 hour in the month, (doesn't say paid work) you are considered employed, if you are an unpaid family worker you are considered self employed. Which is nothing like New Zealand.

Edited by waza

See what I mean?

The Unemployment rate is determined through a monthly household survey, if you have worked 1 hour in the month, (doesn't say paid work) you are considered employed, if you are an unpaid family worker you are considered self employed. Which is nothing like New Zealand.

Source : The labor force survey of November in 2012

Remark : Underemployment worker means a worker who working less than 35 hours per week and available for additional work

Employed persons who don’t effectively work and available for additional work, that called this group is the

underemployment worker (0.31 million or about 0.8% of the total employed persons). Although this group is

employed persons but they have enough free time and available for additional work for more earning.

So how is that different from NZ?

Edited by chiangmaikelly

"Thailand uses the same formula to compute unemployment as New Zealand. " chiangmaikelly

This was your statement, now you claim it was underemployment! You seem to revel in mudding the issue, try to make a distinct post.

PS: How does the below fit with your PTP economic miracle?

BANGKOK, Feb 12 – More than 52,000 employees under Thailand's social security scheme have applied for unemployment benefits due to losing their jobs in the wake of the country's minimum wage hike, Labour Minister Phadermchai Sasomsub said.

The Thai unemployment rate just doubled.

Edited by waza

"Thailand uses the same formula to compute unemployment as New Zealand. " chiangmaikelly

This was your statement, now you claim it was underemployment! You seem to revel in mudding the issue, try to make a distinct post.

PS: How does the below fit with your PTP economic miracle?

BANGKOK, Feb 12 – More than 52,000 employees under Thailand's social security scheme have applied for unemployment benefits due to losing their jobs in the wake of the country's minimum wage hike, Labour Minister Phadermchai Sasomsub said.

The Thai unemploymemt rate just doubled.

Your post does not make any sense. Please list the total unemployed in Thailand as of Feb. People lose jobs and get new jobs all the time. Only the total would have any meaning to the unemployment rate.

0.16 million were unemployed in Nov. 2012 and 40 thousand were seasonally inactive labor force.

14.53 million were not in the labor force or not available for work such as housewives, students or

seniors.

I have no idea what you mean about the NZ thing. Unemployment is computed the same in NZ as Thailand. If it is not show me.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

"the government will invest in infrastructure development of Bt2.2 trillion"

Along with the Rice scam and the emergency flood prevention funds. 2013 will be the beginning of the largest, longest sustained thievery of public funds by any political party in the history of Thailand. IMO

• Like 2

Along with the Rice scam and the emergency flood prevention funds. 2013 will be the beginning of the largest, longest sustained thievery of public funds by any political party in the history of Thailand. IMO

Already a thread on that running here, "http://www.thaivisa....ture-facelift/"

I was trying to derail your monotonous posts about unemployment, witch BTW is also running on another thread.

I was trying to derail your monotonous posts about unemployment, witch BTW is also running on another thread.

One, on the other thread I didn't bring it up and two unemployment is a common measure of the success of any economy. Calling the government thieves is nonsense unless you can substantiate your accusations and unless you know something about Thai history you would do well not to compare the present party with all others in the history of Thailand.

I totally agree with ChiangMaiKelly.

The present party and it's government cannot be compared with any of the others in the history of Thailand. Never before and probably never again will a government have had such a huge success in raising and loosing trillions of Baht

• Like 1

One, on the other thread I didn't bring it up and two unemployment is a common measure of the success of any economy. Calling the government thieves is nonsense unless you can substantiate your accusations and unless you know something about Thai history you would do well not to compare the present party with all others in the history of Thailand.

I think succeeded in my goal..

The present party and it's government cannot be compared with any of the others in the history of Thailand. Never before and probably never again will a government have had such a huge success in raising and loosing trillions of Baht

Borrowing and and misappropriation of trillions of Baht. Would be the proper English term used. Being you are Dutch, it is excused.
  • Like 1

Sticks and stones. All it is is name calling. Give us some facts and figures. Cause Yingluck is winning the hearts and minds of the Thai people and the investors of the world.

Borrowing and and misappropriation of trillions of Baht. Would be the proper English term used. Being you are Dutch, it is excused.

With some member(s) frequently stating that the class and educational level of other members is lacking, my description might be easier to grasp (or loose) rolleyes.gif

Sticks and stones. All it is is name calling. Give us some facts and figures. Cause Yingluck is winning the hearts and minds of the Thai people and the investors of the world.

I doubt that even a sweet smiling PM as our Ms. Yingluck is able to win the hearts of the investors of the world. Rumour has it those chaps don't have any, allegedly that is rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

With some member(s) frequently stating that the class and educational level of other members is lacking, my description might be easier to grasp (or loose) rolleyes.gif

Oh, I apologize. wai.gif

Oh, I apologize. wai.gif

No offence meant, no offence taken, old chap. smile.png

http://www.brecorder.com/agriculture-a-allied/184:world/1272755:world-bank-thailand-set-to-lose-billions-due-to-rice-price-scheme/?date=2012-12-26

http://www.brecorder...date=2012-12-26

http://www.thaivisa....flood-projects/

Maybe you should have let rubi answer his question as nothing you linked is anywhere near trillions of baht. Based on the links you posted it would take a couple of thousand years to lose trillions. I guess most Thai people would wait a couple of thousand years for a bit more cash today.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Well, it's patently obvious that the Japanese consider Thailand part of a hub. Shame is, it took the Japanese to create it.

Automobiles done. I guess they should ask the Japanese for advice about what hub they would like next.

you are so right..........

Japanese companies increasingly see Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam as a single production corridor, he said, comparing the Mekong region to the main industrial cities in his home country.

"It's getting to be nonsense to divide it into three countries. It's one region," he said. "Bangkok is Tokyo, Phnom Penh is Nagoya and Ho Chi Minh is Osaka." http://www.reuters.c...E8LV1BW20121105

I guess its not Yinglucks seductive smile lol

post-46292-0-77103200-1360688088_thumb.j

Edited by waza
  • Like 1