Bringing Electricity To A Land

hello, i am wondering if anyone have the experience of bringing electricity to a plot of land that is about 300 meters away from the grid. what would the approximate cost be?

what are the pitfalls? how many phases do you recommend for a small guesthouse and farm land? please tell me your experience and point me to weblinks for more info.

i know that the electricity company will give the quote for connecting, but is there a way to quick estimate what the cost would be?

I had electricity pulled about a year ago and the distance was about 40 meters in my case. I had to buy one pole, 6meter height and additional wiring to connect from nearest source to my house.

1) first you have to go to the electric company w/your property ownership book-tambien baan. (they (elec.co) will send a survey done at site)

a) determine if you want a 5amp, 15amp, 30amp electric meter etc.(prices vary with amp)

2) things to note; you'll have to buy your own wirings & electric pole from the main grid (source) to your property, this may

be several poles & meters of wiring, I don't have the exact interval distance between poles for 300 meters.

3) some pitfalls may be, you erect the poles and neighboring plot owners w/out electricity will most likely use your pole to wire their electricity. Since your poles will be on govt. property, people will have access to use it (like it or not). This is some what the same as pulling town water

from the source, you invest and others will use.

It will be hard to estimate your cost due to pole heights & types (concrete, bamboo,etc), types of electric wire you want to use,

the cost of labor etc.

I think the only way to get away from all of this is to have a generator strong enough to power up your investment.

rufukata. you suggest to go generator and stay off the grid?

i know that i will have to pay for the poles and generator, but would my electricity meter would be located just infront of the property? so if someone connects to the lines, its the electric company lose?

Generator? What the heck are you talking about? Six mtr concrete poles are about 500 baht each the authority will tell you how many you need. To set them in place requires only a small hole about 50cm deep and takes about 10 minutes to dig. The cable is supplied by the authority and, although I forget the cost, is not really expensive. A deposit is required for the meter which, is placed right in front of your home. Three phase electricity is cheaper per unit and when i last had it installed the deposit payable was 15,000 baht. I think that you will find the deposit for 5amp to be 5000 baht

rufukata. you suggest to go generator and stay off the grid?

i know that i will have to pay for the poles and generator, but would my electricity meter would be located just infront of the property? so if someone connects to the lines, its the electric company lose?

In my case, they installed the elec. meter near the house but not in front (about 20 meters away).

what I am referring is that the poles you buy for your setup on the 300 meters, there may be a possibility that someone may

use your pole as well to connect their line on it.

Generator? What the heck are you talking about? Six mtr concrete poles are about 500 baht each the authority will tell you how many you need. To set them in place requires only a small hole about 50cm deep and takes about 10 minutes to dig. The cable is supplied by the authority and, although I forget the cost, is not really expensive. A deposit is required for the meter which, is placed right in front of your home. Three phase electricity is cheaper per unit and when i last had it installed the deposit payable was 15,000 baht. I think that you will find the deposit for 5amp to be 5000 baht

well if the electric company paid for your wiring - god bless you are lucky. I know a few people including myself that had to pay for the

wiring from the nearest source to the house. We had to have the wiring ready with the pole and then the elect. authorities came and

installed the meter.

well if the electric company paid for your wiring - god bless you are lucky. I know a few people including myself that had to pay for the

wiring from the nearest source to the house. We had to have the wiring ready with the pole and then the elect. authorities came and

installed the meter.

Brian, correction on my part from above, yes the authority can supply the cable wire and charge you for it, either way, you have to pay.

I paid about 4500-5000 baht for a 15amp meter, and the 5 amp was quoted about 800 baht deposit last year.

The easy way is go to your local pea office, they will estimate costs of everything you need to install your electric, no charge, now take those quotes and find 2 or 3 private contractors and get quotes from them. Cheapest bidders will get my contract. Thats the way thais do it, unless you want to pay some somchai to do a half-ass job at falang prices.

You don't write where your house is located.

Here in Chiang Mai province in a rural area last year our neighbour paid for 200m cable(1-phase) and 8 poles (5m) about 30000 THB.

It was made by a private company because they were cheaper than PEA..

The connecting of this line to the existing grid was made by PEA (including the meter) so you should talk to them before.

There is a fee for this work and you have to pay a deposit for the meter.

AFAIK every power line on public land becomes public property after 6 months

installed the meter.

Brian, correction on my part from above, yes the authority can supply the cable wire and charge you for it, either way, you have to pay.

I paid about 4500-5000 baht for a 15amp meter, and the 5 amp was quoted about 800 baht deposit last year.

No problem, often misread quotes myself and honestly I can't see the authority giving away anything free! biggrin.png

I had electric run from the 2 km road to the land where I am building the house. I am not sure of the size of service but it is the largest you can get. transformer included was 300,000 Baht. It is a public line but only 4 houses can connect for a fee and no one around wants to pay the fee.

I originally asked for a private line but the locals said they didn't want a private line in. So I believe the PEA's fix was to make it a public line which cannot be refused but somehow limit connections and have fees so high the locals won't pay. Not sure of all this except the 300,000 Baht but that seems to be the way it worked out.

We had electricity brought in almost 400 meters 18 months ago and it was 61,000 baht to the edge of our land. PEA did a fantastic job on the install and they recommended a sub-contractor for the final 50 meters, final pole, and construction load center. Their estimates are only good for 90 days and our initial estimate of 55,000 baht expired and we had to pay a higher cost.

what do you mean a generator,

i have falang neighbor that got power to his rice mill, 300-350 meters away from the road thru his land not governament road, kalasin to be precise ,3 phase

poles, wire, labour, 900.000 without transformer

poles, wire, labour 1.300000 with transformer

first quotes

he goes off to buy his own tranformer found one 200.000

call back the for a new quote, the guy come start going on about this and that falang put 10.000 in his hand and asked how much?

guy goes let me call boss,

after talk to boss( two days we came back with crane a do the job 600.000

job done thai style

the 300 odd meter road in private not governament, he just choose them to do the job and bought everything apart from the transformer from them.

cheap expensive i would not know. all i know the falang thinks is a good price

south in Trang province......6 years ago 1km 30 + concrete poles in concrete footings...130kbt..temp meter 7000bt...mostly refunded when permanent.

Note that temp meter watt unit cost is approx twice that of permanent.

service 40+ amp..single family dwelling ..three water pumps, three fridges,three shower heaters, no air....

Edited by David006