Adoption

Lindamisa

Yes, you definetely can, but, believe me there is so much beaurocracy, it will take ages to do.

My wife's neice wanted for us to to adopt her the wife's sister had an affair with the head monk (true) of the village and got divorced then after the monk was thrown out of the temple they got married. The daughter, 14 years old, could not exept this (neither can many of the family and villagers) and wanted to live with my wife and myself. We have no children of our own

Both the girl's parents agreed for us to adopt her. I think because not just what the girl wanted, but it got rid of a financial burden to them. No clothes to buy, no food or finding of 500B a week for schooling etc, Plus she would get a much better standard of living..

We spent 4 months going through the process and then had to wait to see if the application was approved by the head office in Bangkok. After a further 3 months and no visits to the house as promised it was refused due to the fact I was English and had to do a lot more paperwork and contacting of authorities in UK that did not know me. I stated that I would be happy just for my wife to adopt. But this to them was not acceptable even though they said my wife could do alone if either she was not married, was divorced or if I die!!!

In the end we gave up and the neice just lives with us with signed paper's from her parents saying that we have the right to sign anything the daughter requires. So basically her guardians. Yet I understand that there is no such thing as legal guardianship in Thailand.

This was as I said before, adopting a member of the family. I would hate to think what you would have to go through if there was no family connection.

If your hearts are set on adoption and you are willing to take the hassle then I wish you the very best.

I went through the process of adopting my wife's daughter 8 years ago.

It involved visiting the office in Bangkok, filling out the application and providing paperwork from UK, such as a police check and a reference from my last job.

I also needed a reference from a local Thai with a government job. Luckily I was a volunteer at the local school.

A lot of waiting and chasing and a home visit from the local staff (if you were Thai, they would handle it in very short time) - it took 18 months and culminated with a bizarre 'interview' with the board of directors after being told the adoption had been approved, so was just a formality.

We met an English couple there that had previously adopted a hill tribe boy and were back for another. They asked my wife to speak with him to make sure he was happy to go with them. They had known him all of 3 days...........

So you will have to you go the Child Adoption Center. Department of Social Development and Welfare (DSDW). 225 Ratchawithi Road. Bangkok 10400, but if you want to visit the local people on the top floor of the city hall complex, they can give you the details of latest hoops to jump through.....

There have been a number of people who have rented the house next to me (Germans, Canadians, Americans) over the years for the purpose of staying in C.M. for up to a year while they went through the adoption process. I spoke at length with all of them, gave one couple a lift here and there, etc. It seemed like an unbelievable amount of work. It required about 3 or more trips to Bangkok to be interviewed by police, social workers, psychologists, etc. They all told me it cost them a LOT of money. I remember each time, seeing endless groups of people from the government and private agencies? showing up to endlessly interview them. The German couple gave up after about 3 months as the guy had to get back to work. The Canadians were successful but had to stay for about 8 months for endless visits by officials to see how they were getting on with the child, before they could leave. Don't know what happened with the other couple as they moved to another house in the moobaan.

Good luck.

I'd be a bit careful about where I got the child. Adoption of third world babies is really popular in the US due to a shortage of US babies. Abortion is so cheap or free, and so easy that there aren't enough babies for all who want one.

A lot of people have found that babies from orphanages are already emotionally damaged. Some people believe that even if a baby isn't abused overtly, but rather is neglected and lacks a lot of physical and emotional contact early, that it will never recover. I don't know if that's true but some believe the baby develops its "world view" of people very early.

So there are lots of reports of people getting a very young child who just won't "fit in" with a group including a family. A lot of those children develop serious issues early and go on to drugs and alcohol and even crime.

I'm far from an expert but I'd do a lot of online reading, and decide what was an acceptable background, if it's true it's an issue. ??

• Like 1

From what I have heard, Thailand almost never allows foreigners (neither person Thai) to adopt and take the child home to their own country. I hope that I am wrong for your sake because I often meet, or learn about children, who are neglected, abused, and otherwise condemned to a very difficult future.

I'd be a bit careful about where I got the child. Adoption of third world babies is really popular in the US due to a shortage of US babies. Abortion is so cheap or free, and so easy that there aren't enough babies for all who want one.

A lot of people have found that babies from orphanages are already emotionally damaged. Some people believe that even if a baby isn't abused overtly, but rather is neglected and lacks a lot of physical and emotional contact early, that it will never recover. I don't know if that's true but some believe the baby develops its "world view" of people very early.

So there are lots of reports of people getting a very young child who just won't "fit in" with a group including a family. A lot of those children develop serious issues early and go on to drugs and alcohol and even crime.

I'm far from an expert but I'd do a lot of online reading, and decide what was an acceptable background, if it's true it's an issue. ??

Your comment is over negative without cause. Most adoptions are sucessful, whether same race or not, many more are successful compared to the failures. It's also true that, unfortunately, some of the parents approved to adopt, in many countries, are not suitable to ever be parents, adoptive or biological parents, and this doesn't help.

The case that frightens me is corcasian parents who just want an Asian baby and the truth is the white parents don't even know where China is, and think that Taiwan and Thailand are the same country.

Of course it's a gamble, and even with your own biological children it's a gamble that there will be behavioral & drug problems etc.

In Thailand there seems to be a case by case track record of the processing, sometimes with little consistency.

I adopted my Thai born son when he was older. I had already lived and worked in Thailand for nearly two decades and well familiar wih Thai culture and thinking etc. We had already known him well for several years, and he already lived most of the week with us.

We found an agent who we put through some tests to check she was genuine, check that she was knowledgable and was experienced in the process, was caring, etc. She Did all the paper work, it was all approved within 4 months and not because she knew who to bribe for a fast track process.

In fact we told her we did not want this for fear it might rebound some time in the future, and she never once asked us to provide 'tea' money.

The result, son is now in his early thirtees, married to a lovely Thai, two wonderful kids who he is devoted to, and he's also devoted to me. He's responsible, has a good job and just completed his masters degree. Already started his doctoral studies, his wife the same picture. Ultimately the most important thing in his life is the education of his kids.

Never once did we have any behavioral or drug problems, in fact at university he instigated and led anti drugs and anti corruption marches, but always with balanced and informative rhetoric. And he coaches football and swimming for the neighborhood kids.

I'm more than proud!

From what I have heard, Thailand almost never allows foreigners (neither person Thai) to adopt and take the child home to their own country. I hope that I am wrong for your sake because I often meet, or learn about children, who are neglected, abused, and otherwise condemned to a very difficult future.

From what I have heard........

Sorry but I know of about 8 cases where the adopted Thai children have gone to a whole list of other countries (including one set of twins, adopted together) to live with their 'white' parents. None of these farang were VIPs or had any means of getting any special approved.

Edited by scorecard