Mending Shoes In Chiang Mai

drthai

This could be an interesting topic--if anyone answers.

I have always been surprised by the shortage of shoe-menders [ Cobblers--to you!] in a city of the size of Chiang Mai. I wonder why--I guess Thais don't go much for shoe-repairing--feet, in general, are a bit of a 'No-No' to Thais--maybe it's a 'Low-Caste' type of skill? A city of a comparable size to Chiang Mai, in India, would have a 'shoe-repaire-Wallah' squatting on every street corner.

Back to your question-the only guy I have found is situated at the market end of Proppaklaoh Road, almost opposite the big, Chinese vegetarian retsaurant. He does a passable job, but I can't say he would be any good with glueing Nike's--he stitches leather, up to a point, but not too pretty.

And that is the only person that I can think of.

There's a guy in Airport Plaza at one of the entrances from the car park. I fixed my walking shoes there. Apart from gluing, he sewed the sole to the shoe and did a very thorough job, but he wanted 450 baht(!) Wasn't too happy with that price, but they've lasted for another year of hard use, so in the end I think it was worth it.

I have always been surprised by the shortage of shoe-menders [ Cobblers--to you!] in a city of the size of Chiang Mai. I wonder why--I guess Thais don't go much for shoe-repairing--feet, in general, are a bit of a 'No-No' to Thais--maybe it's a 'Low-Caste' type of skill? A city of a comparable size to Chiang Mai, in India, would have a 'shoe-repaire-Wallah' squatting on every street corner.

Back to your question-the only guy I have found is situated at the market end of Proppaklaoh Road, almost opposite the big, Chinese vegetarian retsaurant. He does a passable job, but I can't say he would be any good with glueing Nike's--he stitches leather, up to a point, but not too pretty.

Now that you mention it yes there is a surprising shortage of them. The two that come to mind for me are one sitting on the corner next to the overhead gateway into Warorot market and I recall seeing another one on one of the side streets.

On a side note does any one know how to spell Warorot properly?

Now that you mention it yes there is a surprising shortage of them. The two that come to mind for me are one sitting on the corner next to the overhead gateway into Warorot market and I recall seeing another one on one of the side streets.

On a side note does any one know how to spell Warorot properly?

In fact, as with all 'Anglicised' Thai words, it is based on phonetics, so really, there is no

'proper' way--I guess that yours is as good as any.

AFAIK, that is.

Edited by haybilly

Buy some shoe glue at Big C or Tesco - worked for me.

If you mean the "super glue" stuff, it'll only hold for a couple of days. You need the 'flexible stuff' available in your local hardware store.

Not 'super glue.' What is needed, as you say, is a flexible adhesive. There are two choices that work well, and for rubber, nothing is better than the product called "Shoe Goo." It's also sold under the names of 'Sportsman's Goop' and 'Plumber's Goop.' "Shoe Goo" comes in a rather large tube, and will bond 'almost anything!' If the rubber sole is loose, squeeze in some Shoe Goo, spread it around with the included spreader, and wrap some string around the shoe and the sole to hold it. It will take at least a day if not two to fully cure, but once it does, there is NOT getting it apart! If the heels of your shoes are worn down, either sports shoes or dress shoes, putting some tape around the outside of the heel to form a 'wall' and filling it in with either clear, white, or black (depending on your needs) and letting is cure for 3-4 days will give you a heel that will last another 2-3 years! It's amazing stuff!

The other adhesive that will bond the sole is ordinary 'contact cement.' Spread it on both surfaces, let it dry until it is just barely tacky, then press together and let cure overnight. Works well, but Shoe Goo works even better!

• Like 2

Is this 'Shoe-Goo' available in Chiang Mai?

You can most likely find "Shoe Goo" in every department store tool section, every home center, and and in most larger places that sell atheltic shoes, shoe polishes, shoe creams, etc. It's not a difficult item to find. It comes in a rather large red and white tube. It fits the position right next to Duct tape and WD-40. With these three you can repair the world! I use it to glue together EVERYTHING except polyethelyne or vinyl. It stays flexible but virtually unbreakable.

Just be sure to choose which color you want; clear, black, or white. I keep all three in my toolbox.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

There are 2 long-term 'cobblers' or shoe repair shop houses, a few doors apart on Chotana, across and west from Rachapat 'university'(cough).

Good folks who, at least in one shop, can actually build up a completely new shoe should you have a foot injury etc.

Been using them for several years now. Keep on walkin as the gent says.

Thanks, FolkGuitarMan--very useful info--this stuff sounds like 'Every Home Should Have One' stuff.

I will go find some.

Haybilly, it is my 'go to' repair stuff when I need something stuck together that won't come apart, or protected from abrasion (as in the bottom of a cane, shoes, or walking sticks,) built-up in size, sealed, (Did I mention this stuff is waterproof?) I've used it to seal leaks in water pipes and hoses, fish tanks, repair nylon tents and rain gear, rubber boots, leather boots, straps on backpacks,.... the list is endless. I've even used it to repair the hem on a pair of pants once, but you really need to use very little or the fabric will become stiff. Works great sticking things to cement blocks or bricks too.

It is NOT fireproof or heatproof so don't use it where it will be exposed to flames or car engine temps. And don't use it on surfaces that can break away easily such as plaster walls. The wall will give out long before the Shoe Goo.

As I said before, it has a place right beside duct tape and WD-40 in my tool box.

• Like 1

My favorite sandals, when the toe thong ripped out, were repaired by a lady who sits on the steps of 7-11, Huay Kaew Road and Soi Wat Changkien (near Canal Road). She did a great job. She & a male associate are there most weekdays.

She did the work several months ago, and although I wear the sandals almost every day, the repair is still intact.

Hey FolkGuitar my tool box is already full,

I have WD40 and gaffer (duct) tape.

If it is meant to move I spray it with WD40

If it is not meant to move I use gaffer tape.

Nothing else is needed (except maybe the hammer).

Are you telling me I now need to add this shoe goo????

Edited by briley

Handymen worldwide swear by shoe goo. I've kept two pairs of boots running for years.

As for a shoe repairman, most of the people in the Santitham area drop things off with the guy who sets up camp each day on Sermsuk near the YMCA. Cheap and adequate for routine chores.

• Like 1

Sounds like a not too difficult repair.

But be careful where you go for more difficult repairs. I had an expensive pair of Italian shoes I bought at Central in Bangkok re-soled at my local shoe repair guy out in front of the Thai market. They were the most expensive pair of shoes I've bought n Thailand. I don't know what the guy did, but the shoes are about 3 cm shorter than when I brought them in! My heels hung off the back and it looked stupid (and was very uncomfortable). Also he removed (and threw away) all the layers of inner lining so he could remove the stitching. My guess is he could not find the proper farang-sized soles so he put a much smaller sole on. The shoes were too loose and too short to ever wear again. I was not happy considering he charged me a high price for the quality soles (about 1200 THB which was paid in advance). It was a very disappointing experience.

You can most likely find "Shoe Goo" in every department store tool section, every home center, and and in most larger places that sell atheltic shoes, shoe polishes, shoe creams, etc. It's not a difficult item to find. It comes in a rather large red and white tube. It fits the position right next to Duct tape and WD-40. With these three you can repair the world! I use it to glue together EVERYTHING except polyethelyne or vinyl. It stays flexible but virtually unbreakable.

Just be sure to choose which color you want; clear, black, or white. I keep all three in my toolbox.

This shoe goo sounds like exactly the glue I need and have started looking for it with no sucess so far. I have tried Global House, HomePro, Lotus and Macro. If anyone can tell me the name of a specific store that sells shoe goo it would be greatly appreciated.

Hey FolkGuitar my tool box is already full,

I have WD40 and gaffer (duct) tape.

If it is meant to move I spray it with WD40

If it is not meant to move I use gaffer tape.

Nothing else is needed (except maybe the hammer).

Are you telling me I now need to add this shoe goo????

Frankly, I'm amazed that you've been able to reach this point in life without it!!! ROTFL!

Duct tape is, as we all know, amazing stuff. But it wears out eventually. Shoe Goo NEVER wears out. Ever!

When they opened the tomb of King Tutenkamen, they discovered that the reason the old grave robbers hadn't been able to get in for all those years was that the tomb had been sealed with Shoe Goo, and they couldn't get through it!

I had to walk with a cane for four years in a city environment. I kept wearing out those rubber tips they sell for canes and crutches, 2 of 'em the first year. Someone suggested I just 'build up' a cane tip with Shoo Goo (this was my into to the stuff) and I did. Each day I squeezed on another thin layer and let it dry. After four days I had a good 1/4" cover over the end of the cane. I used that for the next three years. I still have that cane, and the bottom looks as if I put it on last week... No exaggeration.

Get it. Use it. Love it. Shit, they should pay me for spreading the word! LOL!

This shoe goo sounds like exactly the glue I need and have started looking for it with no sucess so far. I have tried Global House, HomePro, Lotus and Macro. If anyone can tell me the name of a specific store that sells shoe goo it would be greatly appreciated.

I used to buy it in KSK, in either the home repair department or the shoe department. I can't remember which... Try looking in the sporting goods shops if you're not finding it in the home centers now. Sporting goods store in KSK, places that sell athletic shoes usually carry at least the white stuff, if not the clear. The company went out of business for a few years, but then was bought out by another that added a different package for plumbers and one for sportsman. Same stuff inside, but labeled Sportsman's GooP and Plumbers GooP, as well as Shoo Goo.

Thanks, FolkGuitarMan--very useful info--this stuff sounds like 'Every Home Should Have One' stuff.

I will go find some.

Haybilly, it is my 'go to' repair stuff when I need something stuck together that won't come apart, or protected from abrasion (as in the bottom of a cane, shoes, or walking sticks,) built-up in size, sealed, (Did I mention this stuff is waterproof?) I've used it to seal leaks in water pipes and hoses, fish tanks, repair nylon tents and rain gear, rubber boots, leather boots, straps on backpacks,.... the list is endless. I've even used it to repair the hem on a pair of pants once, but you really need to use very little or the fabric will become stiff. Works great sticking things to cement blocks or bricks too.

It is NOT fireproof or heatproof so don't use it where it will be exposed to flames or car engine temps. And don't use it on surfaces that can break away easily such as plaster walls. The wall will give out long before the Shoe Goo.

As I said before, it has a place right beside duct tape and WD-40 in my tool box.

It really sounds like something you definitely don't want to inhale. What happens when you get some on YOU ?! Sounds like it even might be banned in China !!!

Edited by Mapguy

It really sounds like something you definitely don't want to inhale. What happens when you get some on YOU ?! Sounds like it even might be banned in China !!!

Surprisingly, it's rather benign stuff! There is no Toluene in it, no chloro-fluro carbons, etc. In fact, it's even available in Japan, and they outlawed the glue we used to use for plastic models years ago! But as a result, it is slow drying... Almost no smell to it when using. It's extremely thick and viscus, almost the consistancy of cold peanut butter when coming out of the tube. The black and white versions are a bit thinner than the clear, but still don't drip as most tube glues do.

I get it all over my fingers all the time. (I'm 'glue challenged.') It doesn't even raise a red spot or rash. You can remove it with nail polish remover or lighter fluid (both are far more carcinogenic than the Shoe Goo,) or just let it dry and 'rub' it off your skin with a finger.

This stuff was developed for re-building soles and heels in athletic shoes, but like so many other products, once tried, a little experimentation led to so many other uses.

There is a cobbler near the Holiday Inn going towards Nong Hoi Market..just near the entrance to the condo..by the sidewalk...good and cheap.

Tried to find this guy on Thursday, found his 'pitch' but no cobbler; the rather unhelpful tailor lady sewing next to his spot shrugged and said 'Mai Lu.'

Had to drive to end of Proppakhlao Road and the usual suspect was working away--he got the job.

P.S. I'm on the 'Quest to find ShooGoo Challenge, also--maybe first finder gets a prize?

Edited by haybilly

If Shoe Goo cant be found, you can pick up a small tube of gel super glue at Home Pro.

The gel is a thixotropic (thick) version of super glue, the black rubberized version is the one you need.

Those Nikes are probably glued on so a shoe cobbler probably will use contact cement instead.

Keep in mind that Amazon.com sells the stuff and will ship... as do 20 other on-line resources. If you can't find it locally, you can always have it sent.

I am going to be in Bangkok all day on Monday. I don't know Bangkok very well at all. Would anyone have any suggestions of places in central Bangkok to check out for the elusive Shoe Goo?

Look in high-end places that sell athletic shoes. That's your best bet. Next would be home center/hardware stores. Then good sporting goods stores. Don't bother looking in Night Bazzare-types of places. If I was able to get it, you guys should be able as well. I didn't do anything special... It's not like this is some 'special' stuff. Do a web search and take a look at all the different types of places that are selling it. That will give you some ideas.