Registering Uk Marriage In Thailand - Obtaining Copy Of Uk Marriage Cert

Hi,

My wife and I got married in the uk and we are trying to obtain a certified copy of our uk marriage certificate from the British consulate in Chiang Mai

The first time my wife went to the consulate they said she could do everything and that I didn't need to go there

When my wife went there today they said that if I wanted to use the copy to register our marriage at the amphur then I would have to go to get the copy so it would be in my name and not my wife's and that I wouldn't be able to use the copy in the future

I figured that my wife would be able to register our marriage at the amphur once we got the permission from ministry of foreign affairs and after that I would use a copy of the amphur documentation and not my uk marriage certificate (e.g. To be put on my wife's tambien baan)

So 2 questions - do I need to sign for the certified copy of our uk marriage certificate in order to get it translated for the mofa? And once our marriage is on the books at the local amphur will I have a need for the certified copy of our uk marriage certificate anymore?

Thanks in advance

Your first question I don't know.

Your second uestion is that your mariage will be registered with the Thai goevrnment, so you would not need another copy of the UK marriage certificate, you can just get a Thai one for use in Thailand. Ask for the khor rhor 22 form from the amphur, you will need it for immigration.

Also make a copy of the documents you get back from the Thai MFA, consular department. Immigration might ask for it.

Edited by Mario2008
number of form corrected from 13 to 22.

The certification at the MFA will be of a translated copy of marriage certificate. You will still have the original or certified copy after it is all done.

When you go the Amphoe they will give you Kor Ror 22 that is for issued for foreign marriages. You will need that plus copy of your UK marriage certificate at immigration.

When they do the registration at the Amphoe they will also update your wife's house book and ID card at the same time. Very few Amphoes will add you to your wife's house book. They will issue a yellow house instead for you.

Thank you for your help guys,

I am a little confused about the Kor Ror 13 and the Kor Ror 22

I will be given a Kor Ror 22 and immigration will need that and the copy of my uk certificate but I can ask for a Kor Ror 13 and if I am given that then I will only need the Kor Ror 13 for immigration (or does this change depending on the immigration office ;))

Thank you for your help guys,

I am a little confused about the Kor Ror 13 and the Kor Ror 22

I will be given a Kor Ror 22 and immigration will need that and the copy of my uk certificate but I can ask for a Kor Ror 13 and if I am given that then I will only need the Kor Ror 13 for immigration (or does this change depending on the immigration office wink.png)

Sorry, I made a mistake with the form number. Khor rhor 13 should be khor rhor 22.

If you are living in the home where your wife is registered in her house book is enough for immigration.

The yellow house book is good for immigration, banks, drivers license or anywhere else you need proof of residence.

Edit: At some drivers license offices the yellow book will not be enough because they want immigration to sign off on a form they give you.

Edited by ubonjoe

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all the help

Our marriage has been registered (after some toing and froing with translations) and we have a couple of copies of our KR22

Next stop is to get a yellow book and then apply for my driving licence

Not quite so easy as I had hoped to sort the yellow book out - have to get a few more things sorted

They want a copy of my work permit (no problem), a form from immigration that has my picture on it (we have a picture of what the form should look like so hopefully the only issue here is the wait in immigration) and then my wife and another witness who knows me to vouch for me

Oh they also want my wife's tambien baan (expected) and a copy of the chanot for the land our home is built on ( not expected)

More trees to be fed into the Thai photocopying business ;)

Not quite so easy as I had hoped to sort the yellow book out - have to get a few more things sorted

They want a copy of my work permit (no problem), a form from immigration that has my picture on it (we have a picture of what the form should look like so hopefully the only issue here is the wait in immigration) and then my wife and another witness who knows me to vouch for me

Oh they also want my wife's tambien baan (expected) and a copy of the chanot for the land our home is built on ( not expected)

More trees to be fed into the Thai photocopying business wink.png

Never had the form from Immigration when I got my book, remember the papers for the condos, wife's tambien baan and ID Card, plus copies of all my passport pages, and WP.

The certificate of residence makes sense

If I can anonymise the example we were given I will - failing that there is a space at the centre of the bottom of the form for my picture if that sounds familiar

Despite all the extra paperwork required I was happy to be told that I was (relatively) young and that the majority of the people they process are retirees (hopefully in 10 years that will be me too ;))