Dengue Fever In Chiang Mai...?

coralia

Yes.

Researchers at Chiang Mai University in Thailand announced in 2011 that they have finally, after decades of research, managed to develop the world's first vaccination against dengue fever.Fitting, because Chiang Mai has a real dengue problem and around 200,000 people per year contract the mosquito-borne virus in Thailand.

First discovered in 2011, the new vaccine is currently undergoing testing and approvals which, unfortunately, are expected to take around 10 years.

Of course they don't report it much because it would hurt tourism.

Edited by Chicog

Yes.

Researchers at Chiang Mai University in Thailand announced in 2011 that they have finally, after decades of research, managed to develop the world's first vaccination against dengue fever.Fitting, because Chiang Mai has a real dengue problem and around 200,000 people per year contract the mosquito-borne virus in Thailand.

First discovered in 2011, the new vaccine is currently undergoing testing and approvals which, unfortunately, are expected to take around 10 years.

Of course they don't report it much because it would hurt tourism.

Yes I have had it once before and SAUSAGE KING just had a serious bout with it but he now swears by an indian remedy of Papaya leaf Juice which I can tell you tastes absolutely aweful HOWEVER he says it had an immediate effect on his blood count and the doctor was amazed

Im sure when Rob sees this he will give his take on it

DK

Well, as I understand it there are six varieties of this baby . . . I've had one (I think picked up in Vientiane), and once you've had one variety you're immune to that one, but can still get others. That one had me on my back for about 5 days, but wasn't one of the severe types. None are fun, but the worst causes hemorrhaging through the skin - hence the Thai name for all varieties (โรคไข้เลือดออก, literally "disease blood come out") and can be fatal. I do hope the vaccine works out, dinna wanna get any of the others. Apparently they are all carried by a large tiger-striped mosquito which is mostly active during the day. I think that's right, but I be no medico.

It does occur in Chiang Mai, primarily in the wet season. Dengue is transmitted by the medium sized mosquitoes (not the tiny annoying ones) with striped legs that are out during the day, including dawn and dusk. Like all day time mosquitoes, they prefer shaded areas, including indoors. Wikipedia has more information and pictures at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aedes_aegypti

The only effective preventitive I know of is to avoid mosquito bites. I know everyone loves to wear shorts and sandal, but long pants and socks do cut down on mosquito bites. Also, if you wash them once in a while they don't smell as bad as chemical repellants.

You bet there is dengue fever here in CM. The wife and I got it and ended up in the hospital one day apart. Happened just a month and half ago. We both were on our backs for 5-7 days, needing 7 and 9 units of platelets respectively. Our white blood cell count was so low, the transfusions were required. We live in San Kamphaeng and went to Rajavej hospital - great place. However, some others in our moo baan came down with it and was going to San Kamphaeng hospital. Was told there that many people contracted it. Four others in our moo baan got it. Also while we were hospitalized, there were 5 others on the same floor getting treated. Haven't heard anything since and hopefully the risk has decreased.

You bet there is dengue fever here in CM. The wife and I got it and ended up in the hospital one day apart. Happened just a month and half ago. We both were on our backs for 5-7 days, needing 7 and 9 units of platelets respectively. Our white blood cell count was so low, the transfusions were required. We live in San Kamphaeng and went to Rajavej hospital - great place. However, some others in our moo baan came down with it and was going to San Kamphaeng hospital. Was told there that many people contracted it. Four others in our moo baan got it. Also while we were hospitalized, there were 5 others on the same floor getting treated. Haven't heard anything since and hopefully the risk has decreased.

Did you look for a source? Aedes likes clean, still water.

The source is other infected people, its not surprising that four people living in the same area caught it. The mosquito is just the vector.

The standing water is the mosquito breeding ground - still water, as you said. That is, unfortunately, just about everywhere in Chiang Mai.

The source is other infected people, its not surprising that four people living in the same area caught it. The mosquito is just the vector.

The standing water is the mosquito breeding ground - still water, as you said. That is, unfortunately, just about everywhere in Chiang Mai.

There are outbreaks of Dengue in the northern cities of Queensland, Australia. Most cities have a 'mosquito busters' team, and as the mozzie concerned only travels up to 150 metres from its breeding ground, once this is located, the area is santised.

There are annual campaigns reminding people not to leave out old tyres which hold pools of water, pot plants with saucers and the like.

Singapore goes a few steps further, with active inspection of domestic areas and heavy fines for those who have water containers outside.

Obviously not feasible in rice growing areas.

There is one brand of mosquito repellent that seems to work well. THIS STUFF does the job for us. We put it on in the early morning and it the later afternoon. It's a 'roll-on' application so easy to use, and there seems to be no need to completly cover the skin. Rolling on a stripe front, back, and sides, of legs and arms, and a quick ring around the neck keeps us bite-free.

I caugt Dengue twice, but both times down in the southern islands. Both times were a horror so I made sure never to catch it again! It tried 100% Deet stuff from the US, but that got to be too strong and was irritating. The Thai stuff smelled better too!

There is one brand of mosquito repellent that seems to work well. THIS STUFF does the job for us. We put it on in the early morning and it the later afternoon. It's a 'roll-on' application so easy to use, and there seems to be no need to completly cover the skin. Rolling on a stripe front, back, and sides, of legs and arms, and a quick ring around the neck keeps us bite-free.

I caugt Dengue twice, but both times down in the southern islands. Both times were a horror so I made sure never to catch it again! It tried 100% Deet stuff from the US, but that got to be too strong and was irritating. The Thai stuff smelled better too!

Where you get that from ???

Where you get that from ???

Rimping, Tops, PharmaChoice, Boots, just about every drug store in the area.

Comes in two sizes, both are expensive. But keep in mind that you don't need to completely cover yourself with the stuff. Just a couple of stripes on the legs, arms, and neck does the trick. The the mosquitoes that carry Dengue don't feed all day long. Only early morning and late afternoon, so no need to keep reaplying all day long.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

Thanks. Saving me buying fresh supplies next time I'm in Oz. It's probably heaps cheaper here too.

Interesting tho, that the front of the bottle is in Dutch/Belgium. Is it made in Thailand?

Asked my parmacist today to give me a general tour, because I have felt that there could be interesting products out-of-sight, which I would not have encountered had I not asked if there is more not on the shelves.

On the shelf, however, he showed me a natural mosquito repellant, new to me with no DEET (DEET not totally beneficial). It is available as a spray, but I chose the lipstick-size roll-on one could slip into a pocket. Will try it out.

Has a Thai name on top, but on the bottom I read Engish: "Krishnasakthong (mobile 084 611 4714)". I found it in the pharmacy on the ground floor of Kad Suan Kaew, just outside Tops' Supermarket.

My lady friend contracted dengue fever in Oct 2011 in the inner city area (Sridonchai road) and was hospitalised for over a month with some complications. Luckily for her the 30 baht scheme covered it,

I recently got bitten by one of the Aedes mosquitos so they are still around this season. During the last week or so of the warmer weather I have noticed a huge increase of activity by the regular smaller mosquitos.

Deet can be some nasty stuff. The 100% deet will melt right through many plastics, remove paint from cars, and can cause severe rashes on people with allergies. Some folks claim it will screw up your genes, but I don't believe it. But it is one of the most effective mosquito/genral bug repellents on the market today. When I used to use it (in serious Malaria regions,) I'd put it on in the early morning, wash it off mid-morning, re-apply in late afternoon, and wash off before bed. My kid didn't have three heads when he was born, and only a few extra eyes. He managed to get through college too, so his brain was only messed up by his own college activities. Deet works....

... but 18% Deet seems to work as well as the 100% stuff, without melting any of my plastic kit.