Van From Bangkok To Chiang Mai

BradinAsia

y guess is you would be safest and most comfortable going by VIP transport company bus and paying for the excess luggage if you need to. Vans drive with varying degrees of skill. Mostly in the "We think we are better than a F1 driver" range and varying drug and alcohol levels in their blood.

Edited by harrry

y guess is you would be safest and most comfortable going by VIP transport company bus and paying for the excess luggage if you need to. Vans drive with varying degrees of skill. Mostly in the "We think we are better than a F1 driver" range and varying drug and alcohol levels in their blood.

Thanks for the advice. I have driven for two years in Thailand, but have never hired a van with driver.

Maybe I will just rent a vehicle big enough for our luggage.

Thanks for the advice. I have driven for two years in Thailand, but have never hired a van with driver.

Maybe I will just rent a vehicle big enough for our luggage.

i agree with harry

Why dont try this 1st class bus Brad ? ( if you are lucky - because you have to book a few days ahead

because they fill up quicklysad.png )

Very comfortable and great safety record.thumbsup.gif

http://www.nca.co.th/firstclass.php

• Like 1

Nok Air would charge quite alot of baht for the overweight baggage as I believe their checked baggage limit is 20 kg per person & one checked bag per person. The overnight bus would be cheapest, or try the train if tickets are available. If you rent a vehicle, the drive takes about 9 hours.

Hope this helps! wai2.gif

When I don't want to waste time on a 13 hour train trip between Chiang Mai and Bangkok, I fly either Nok air or Air Asia but check my luggage the day before at the train station, to have them ship the luggage that night. I can then pick up the luggage the next day, in your case at the CM train station. Very easy to do.

You could try Red Ride. Would probably be a little cheaper than flying and depending when you get into Bangkok they'd probably get you to Chiang Mai quicker.

I looked for Red Ride. They used to have an ad on TV, but it's expired.

Mmm... Can you please tell me what is Red Ride?

• Like 1

You could try Red Ride. Would probably be a little cheaper than flying and depending when you get into Bangkok they'd probably get you to Chiang Mai quicker.

I looked for Red Ride. They used to have an ad on TV, but it's expired.

Mmm... Can you please tell me what is Red Ride?

a van (Probably without being licenced for passengers for fee and lacking insurance)

Edited by harrry

Hmmm......50 kilo each. Would it be possible to dump some 'unnecessary' items and take the flight? smile.png

Hehehe... great idea, Semper.

But this is our "grand migration" to C.M, so we're taking our most treasured worldly possessions -- the stuff we couldn't sell, donate or dump. sick.gif

We decided on the NCA 1st class bus. I read somewhere it can be booked online and then pay at 7/11. On their website, I didn't find any way

to book. Anyone have a link for booking the NCA bus?

We'll be in BKK a few days so we could book early.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice.

Sometimes TV is worth its weight in gold... wink.png

Edited by BradinAsia

I would check with the bus company in advance whether there is a size restriction on baggage. Seven years ago, I decided to take a bus from CM to Bangkok instead of the train, to catch my flight to the U.S. The bus company would not take my large bags. After several minutes of arguing, I decided not to fly back the next day and used the return airline ticket at a later date.

Question:

Does anyone happen to know the luggage limit per passenger on NCA 1st class VIP bus or Gold class bus?

Someone mentioned 7 years ago, but could have changed with newer model buses. I couldn't find any baggage allowance info on their website.

Would appreciate very much. Thanks.

Question:

Does anyone happen to know the luggage limit per passenger on NCA 1st class VIP bus or Gold class bus?

Someone mentioned 7 years ago, but could have changed with newer model buses. I couldn't find any baggage allowance info on their website.

Would appreciate very much. Thanks.

We telephoned NCA for you. They said the allowed weight was 20kg. They said more would be charged but it would depend on weight and size of the luggage so they could not tell us now. I hope this helps.

As a guide Bor Kor Sor...the other big company on its website gives the price for sending goods(Not accompanied) as 200 baht a piece and about 5baht a kilo. It should be less than this.

Edited by harrry

My problem was the size of the suitcase, not the weight (which was 20 Kilos). The bus company offered to split up the contents into two boxes, but that would not do me much good checking in at Northwest Airlines with 4 boxes. Since you are bringing the suitcases to CM, it is less of a problem (if you don't mind losing the suitcases).

Hmmm......50 kilo each. Would it be possible to dump some 'unnecessary' items and take the flight? smile.png

But this is our "grand migration" to C.M, so we're taking our most treasured worldly possessions -- the stuff we couldn't sell, donate or dump. sick.gif

We decided on the NCA 1st class bus. I read somewhere it can be booked online and then pay at 7/11. On their website, I didn't find any way

Hi Brad.

If you haven't already bought the ticket by now the call centre number is 029360009. You will be able to choose to speak to someone in English.

When you have selected the date and time of travel and chosen your seat numbers, they will give you a code or pin number ( about 9 digits ) and you simply take that to any 7-Eleven shop before 12 midnight on the date that you make the telephone booking.

Their computers reset after midnight so if you don't get to 7-Eleven on that day the next day you would have to go through the whole booking procedure again

Hi Brad.

If you haven't already bought the ticket by now the call centre number is 029360009. You will be able to choose to speak to someone in English.

When you have selected the date and time of travel and chosen your seat numbers, they will give you a code or pin number ( about 9 digits ) and you simply take that to any 7-Eleven shop before 12 midnight on the date that you make the telephone booking.

Their computers reset after midnight so if you don't get to 7-Eleven on that day the next day you would have to go through the whole booking procedure again

Thanks for the phone number. Soon as I get to BKK I'll call them.

Appreciate all the kind, sage advice provided by everyone here.

If you can drive from Bangkok to Chiangmai, will not be a bad idea to rent a car in Bangkok and return in Chiangmai......slow drive and sight seeing, make a few stop on the way and enjoy some coffee........cost of car rental about 1000-1200 baht and fuel about 1000 baht for small car like Honda city or Toyota Vios.