Driving From Chiang Mai To South Of Bangkok In About 3 Days

vagabond48

I am driving with 3 others to the south of Thailand in about 3 days.

I am looking for the safest and fastest way down.

Can I rely on Google map?

Has anyone driven this trip in either direction?

Anyone know of a nice, comfortable and reasonable GH in Ayutthaya?

Anyone have any useful tips about the driving this distance?

Safest way is to fly :)

Other than that, just follow google maps directions, pretty straight forward.

A nice option is to take the 340 instead of highway 1, pass by Sam Chuck before BKK.

How far south are you going ??

I did it 2 years ago, Surat to CM and back over New Years.. Nightmare but we survived...

In Sam Chuk there 's The 100 years old Market or "talaat roi pie" . Every weekend about 10000 visitors, 99% thai and almost no foreign visitors here,but last 2 years some touroparators from Bangkok see this as Alternative for The floating markets. ( local food products and cloths)

Here's a tip you may find useful. If you are driving and don't feel like making it to

the next "big" city hotel, look for a "curtain motel" to spend the night in. Over the past

20 years I have travelled this Kingdom extensively and found these accommodations

to be inexpensive, clean, great beds, TV, refers and excellent room service. I have

never experienced rude service in fact, the service has aways been exemplary.

Give it a go, you could be surprised.

Edited by Dap

Here's a tip you may find useful. If you are driving and don't feel like making it to

the next "big" city hotel, look for a "curtain motel" to spend the night in. Over the past

20 years I have travelled this Kingdom extensively and found these accommodations

to be inexpensive, clean, great beds, TV, refers and excellent room service. I have

Yup, we got a couple near us..

Just 280 baht... Bargain...

Our neighbor showed me around his 'motel' and it was as nice, if not nicer than a lot of hotels I have stayed in..

Plus your car is safe behind the curtain :)

• Like 1

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Dap,

I've never been in one, but, my impression is the so-called "curtain motels" are designed for places to go to have sex, or whatever, for a few hours, while your car is hidden away from public view.

If you book one alone, do you think you'll get a discount rate ?

yrs, ~o:37;

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Dap,

I've never been in one, but, my impression is the so-called "curtain motels" are designed for places to go to have sex, or whatever, for a few hours, while your car is hidden away from public view.

If you book one alone, do you think you'll get a discount rate ?

yrs, ~o:37;

Yo, Khun O37,

Your impression is "spot-on" as they are indeed designed for those who wish to engage in a bit of discreet dalliance, but in this case I figure we are talking about the "or whatever" service as I have utilized their services only while traveling (alone) and in need of acommodations whilst just east of nowhere. Never paid more than 350/400 baht and thought I was already getting a discount (although I'm pretty sure that was the going rate). Spent only a few hours (too weary for any self manipulated sex) and on my way refreshed for the nxt days travels smile.png

Edited by Dap

I agree with Cornishcarlos about taking the 340 route south from Chai Nat. I live in Suphanburi Province and think their roads are above average for quality. I would further suggest heading west at Suphanburi and avoiding the ring road (# 9) around Bangkok. I suggest in Suphanburi you take the 357 ring road toward Uthong and then pick up Route 321 to Uthong and Nakhon Pathom. Once in Nakhon Pathom you pick up Route 4 toward Ratchaburi and Cha'am and further south. All very good roads and you avoid the traffic in and around Ayutthaya, Bang Bua Thong, Bang Bon, etc.