Uk Birth Registration

From Consular Birth Registration

Birth registration/passport applications may be made in person or by post. Consular Section is open to the public Monday to Thursday 08.00 - 11.00 and 13.00 - 15.30 and Friday 08.00 - 12.00. It takes us seven working days to process an application.
If you've not already done so, I recommend a good read of the info to make sure that you have all that's required.

Please complete a C2 Passport Application Form in full and return it to us with payment and evidence of the child's British nationality ie either a British birth certificate or full documentation as for a birth certificate (as above). We require two recent, identical photographs. One of which must be countersigned.

Can this be countersigned by my wife in Thailand?

I believe they undertake to issue both the birth certificate (if you want it) and the passport within a week.

Scouse.

I have to register the birth before I can get the passport yes? That is in relation to my child coming to the UK...

Thanks Scouse :o

Your child getting a British passport is not dependent upon his/her birth being registered at the embassy. If the circumstances of the birth are such that (s)he is a British citizen, then you can apply for the passport and not register the birth. However, it would appear that most people choose to register the birth because it gives the child a UK-style birth certificate and this saves a lot of messing around in the UK having things translated.

If you want just the passport, then supply the evidence that you would need to register the birth, but just pay for the passport.

Cheers,

Scouse.

PS. I'm not sure about the countersignatory. In the UK it would have to be done by a person in a professional occupation who has known you for 2 years.

Your child getting a British passport is not dependent upon his/her birth being registered at the embassy. If the circumstances of the birth are such that (s)he is a British citizen, then you can apply for the passport and not register the birth. However, it would appear that most people choose to register the birth because it gives the child a UK-style birth certificate and this saves a lot of messing around in the UK having things translated.

If you want just the passport, then supply the evidence that you would need to register the birth, but just pay for the passport.

Cheers,

Scouse.

PS. I'm not sure about the countersignatory. In the UK it would have to be done by a person in a professional occupation who has known you for 2 years.

OK I see, but my child is in Thailand so who would countersign it there in English as my child or missus does know anyone there to sign in English? Will here mum do to sign in Thai... :D

Sorry Confuddled...

:o

Applying the application process in the UK to that for a British passport in Thailand, no, your wife can't countersign the passport photo. I'd ring the embassy consular section tomorrow and ask them, as this must be a common occurrence.

Scouse.

Applying the application process in the UK to that for a British passport in Thailand, no, your wife can't countersign the passport photo. I'd ring the embassy consular section tomorrow and ask them, as this must be a common occurrence.

Scouse.

Cheers Scouse,

I sent an email already to try and keep a step ahead, I will also call tomorrow.

Cheers Again :o

I have checked that site and know the outlines of this, however it still leaves me at a loss. I will wait for the embassy to advise me on this.

Thanks agian Scouse for your prompt reply. :o

You can counter sign the photo yourself, as i did, i got the uk Birth certificate and my daughters first passport at the same time. The process takes about 6 weeks as the birth certificate registration has to be processed in the UK. You will also have to attend an interveiw at the Embassy along with your wife. I did anyway.

Hope this helps mate.

I have checked that site and know the outlines of this, however it still leaves me at a loss. I will wait for the embassy to advise me on this.

Thanks agian Scouse for your prompt reply. :o

You can counter sign the photo yourself, as i did, i got the uk Birth certificate and my daughters first passport at the same time. The process takes about 6 weeks as the birth certificate registration has to be processed in the UK. You will also have to attend an interveiw at the Embassy along with your wife. I did anyway.

Hope this helps mate.

Hiya Geordie.

I am in the UK now, so it leaves me a bit at odds with attending the embassy! Any ideas welcomed on what happens in this area?

Cheers all :D

Hi Lopburiguy,

i do understand that you are in the UK i am not sure how you do it the other way round i.e your wife in Thailand and you in the UK. Why not go to your local birth registry office, maybe they can advise you. I would think that you would need to get the babies Thai birth certificate translated and sent to you, also your wifes documents. I am not sure so i think it is best to talk to them i am sure that they can advise you.

Well mate i hope that everything works out for you and the family. Good luck

Read the C2 Notes!

Note 6 – Section 8 – Countersignature

When you have completed the form, someone who has

known You (not the child) personally for at least two years

should complete and sign Section 8. That person should be

a British citizen, other British national or Commonwealth

citizen who is a Member of Parliament, Justice of the Peace,

Minister of Religion, Bank Officer, Established Civil Servant,

or professionally qualified person, e.g. Lawyer, Engineer,

Doctor, School Teacher, Police Officer or a person of

similar standing. Procedures include a check on the

authenticity of countersignatories.

If you do not know a British national or other Commonwealth

citizen locally with those qualifications, a citizen of the

country in which you are residing may complete and sign

the form, provided he/she has a similar standing in that

country has known you for two years and the Consul

considers his/her signature to be acceptable. A member

of your family should not countersign. (See also Note 7,

‘Photographs’). In certain cases you may be asked

to produce further documentary evidence of identity for

the child.

Read the C2 Notes!

the child.

This is correct as i did the same for our son who was 15 months old at the time and I had a hard job finding someone who had known me that long. I eventually remembered my old accountant who did the job.

On the application form where the signatory signs there is also a space for a company stamp though we did not use it. Possibly the embassy may ask or not.

Once all the forms are completed it takes 5 working days to process and if you wish they will post the documents to you. Be aware however the embassy may also want to see your passport and that they keep mot of the documents including your childs birth certificate in both English and Thai, the marriage certificate and any other documnets that they deem necessary.

I would suggest that you get 2 copies of the birth certificate in English (the cost is not much extra) and we now have all the documents like that laminated as it keeps them clean and easy to read.

I also suggest that you get a copy of the application form and read it VERY carefully. You may be able to download it and get the signatures in the UK if your wife sends you 4 or 6 copies of the childs photograph (spares are always handy).

I hope that this helps.

Read the C2 Notes!

the child.

This is correct as i did the same for our son who was 15 months old at the time and I had a hard job finding someone who had known me that long. I eventually remembered my old accountant who did the job.

On the application form where the signatory signs there is also a space for a company stamp though we did not use it. Possibly the embassy may ask or not.

Once all the forms are completed it takes 5 working days to process and if you wish they will post the documents to you. Be aware however the embassy may also want to see your passport and that they keep mot of the documents including your childs birth certificate in both English and Thai, the marriage certificate and any other documnets that they deem necessary.

I would suggest that you get 2 copies of the birth certificate in English (the cost is not much extra) and we now have all the documents like that laminated as it keeps them clean and easy to read.

I also suggest that you get a copy of the application form and read it VERY carefully. You may be able to download it and get the signatures in the UK if your wife sends you 4 or 6 copies of the childs photograph (spares are always handy).

I hope that this helps.

Ok so in short,..I need two photos sent to the UK tobe signed by someone who has not met my child. I can fill in the application form here. I send a copy of my birth cert in full, passport copy (embassy said ok copy).

Then send all docs/phots/birth/ back to bangkok to the missus and she will take the forms to the embassy with child registration forms and its all done.?

:o

Technically, the counter signatory need not be British, just a qualified person who has known you for at least two years and have met the child. This person must be able to compare the photo of your child to the child’s true likeness. It would be impossible to do this without meeting the child.

8(2) Endorse the back of the photograph by writing ‘I certify that this is a true likeness of (insert name of child)’ and add your signature, and the date on which the likeness was compared.

Technically, the counter signatory need not be British, just a qualified person who has known you for at least two years and have met the child. This person must be able to compare the photo of your child to the child’s true likeness. It would be impossible to do this without meeting the child.
8(2) Endorse the back of the photograph by writing ‘I certify that this is a true likeness of (insert name of child)’ and add your signature, and the date on which the likeness was compared.

True but my accountant had not seen my son though he did sign the form.

the child.

An interesting thought about the citizen of the country where you are residing.

I would check with the embassy as to whether they need to see your passport as well, just in case.

True but my accountant had not seen my son though he did sign the form.

the child.

An interesting thought about the citizen of the country where you are residing.

I would check with the embassy as to whether they need to see your passport as well, just in case.

Yes Billd, I agree I am having the same dilema. If I sign it in the UK is that ok to send back to Thailand? Residing may mean thailand as my child is there...or is it UK where I am. Anyways trying to call to no joy yesterday. Have to call monday.

Thanks for the prompt replys. :o

Edited by lopburiguy