Abused Karen Girl To Get Official Help In Applying For Thai Nationality

webfact

Abused Karen girl to get official help in applying for Thai nationality

Thanissara Chaowaritroj

The Nation

30199992-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Karen girl who was allegedly kidnapped, enslaved, tortured and scarred over half of her body by a couple in Kamphaeng Phet will be assisted in applying for Thai nationality, Rights and Liberties Protection Department chief Police Colonel Narat Sawettanant said yesterday.

newsjs

Visiting the 12-year-old at Kamphaeng Phet Home for Children and Families, he presented her with Bt30,000 in financial assistance, in accordance with the Compensation for Victims of Crime Act.

Narat said he was confident that the police would investigate the case seriously and ensure justice was done for all those involved.

He also said that as a Thai, he felt bad and apologised for what had happened to the girl, which was a serious human violation carried out by fellow Thais.

The department chief said that although the girl's parents were illegal immigrants, he would consult with the Interior Ministry about the possibility of making this a special case and providing Thai nationality to the abused girl, so that she could be entitled to healthcare and educational benefits.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-14

RELATED

Kidnapped Karen Girl Enslaved By Cruel Thai Couple

http://www.thaivisa....el-thai-couple/

This story has gone global, including a couple of dedicated Facebook pages.

The people responsible for this must have a very public trial - fully covered by the media - and then serve lengthy prison sentences. Period.

The police who returned her to these monsters three years ago must be prosecuted and punished for their involvement. Period.

Enough is enough Thailand.

Do the right thing.

Personally in this case, the police that returned her to Mr and Mrs Satan should not be fired or sent to an inactive post. They should be promoted to tandem motorbike highway patrol in Yala province.

• Like 2

This is horrific..i really hope that the 2 evil things are well taken care of and get to feel the full pain the little girl did, I wish the girl many days of laughter in her life...plastic surgeons have said the girl sadly does not have enough healthy undamaged skin to undertake any surgery

They are on bail and apparently living with relatives, although, I suspect they will have left the country by now.

If not - I sincerely hope they are still in Thailand - someone knows where they are and, so, it should be simple enough to pick them up and put them in front of a judge, the glaring spotlight of a howling media circus and a furious public.

Get it done Thailand. Get it done.

Edited by arthurboy
  • Like 1

when they do eventually go to trial can we have a reenactment of the crime with the roles reversed,i will volunteer to hold the bucket of acid.

sorry i should have put holding the bucket out to tender i am sure there are others that would want to do the job.i will start at 20,000bht.

I would strongly suggest to the Thai government that they go out and immediately find these monsters,

and put them in jail. That way when this story blows up on the world stage, the government official

tasked with explaining the situation will not be hemming and hawing when he is asked why these

monsters are not in jail.

I would strongly suggest to the Thai government that they go out and immediately find these monsters,

and put them in jail. That way when this story blows up on the world stage, the government official

tasked with explaining the situation will not be hemming and hawing when he is asked why these

monsters are not in jail.

Spot on and I would add to this put the policemen in jail for returning this girl to the monsters in the first place. Surely they saw her scars from burns, but mai pen rai she is from Burma right?
  • Like 1

Good news but I hope this not just some ploy to keep the international media at bay. A little smoke until the heat dies down then dump her on a trash heap. I will believe it when the government stands up and says she has been granted full citizenship.

Good news but I hope this not just some ploy to keep the international media at bay. A little smoke until the heat dies down then dump her on a trash heap. I will believe it when the government stands up and says she has been granted full citizenship.

Excellent point. Their statement " will be assisted in applying for Thai nationality" is a bit vague and open

ended. Given the lightning speed with which Thaksin received a passport, I am sure they could do the same for

this girl if they really wanted to. At this point hard to tell if the government is in damage control, or genuinely

feels bad and wants to help her.

• Like 1

This story has gone global, including a couple of dedicated Facebook pages.

The people responsible for this must have a very public trial - fully covered by the media - and then serve lengthy prison sentences. Period.

The police who returned her to these monsters three years ago must be prosecuted and punished for their involvement. Period.

Enough is enough Thailand.

Do the right thing.

Yes there are face book pages and heres one

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-Air-alias-age-12-a-native-of-the-Burmese-Karen-ethnic-group/154209184735386

• Like 1

The horrific kidnapping, torture and abuse of a young Karen girl – and the release on bail of the couple accused of the crimes – exposes serious problems within the Thai social protection and justice systems, writes Kaewmala

http://asiancorrespondent.com/97357/shocking-plight-of-tortured-karen-girl-tests-thai-social-protection-and-justice-systems/

This tragic case has created a huge amount of genuine anger, shock and many are blaming "the Thais".

This is not something that should be labelled a Thai crime, but a human to human crime.

She is Burmese Karen, yet the Burmese army is guilty of terrible crimes against their own people.

Other countries' military have been accused of such crimes.

In India, these things happen all the time to women and children.

Muslim women in Pakistan, Afghanistan and many African countries are mutilated, disfigured and tortured. Similar horrifying things have happened in almost all western countries at one time or another.

I cast blame on the two people responsible. In this sad incident they happen to be Thai nationals. Next time they may be Chinese or Canadian or Austrian..

My point: Don't blame the Thai people. Blame the system that allowed them to do this.

• Like 1

Kudos to Thailand for stepping up to the plate and doing something to help this girl. Myself and I am sure others feared

this issue would receive the sweep under the rug treatment, but I think the explosion of this story onto international

media has stopped that.

Well, I think Kudos is to the media not Thailand, they would have swept it under the rug as usual if the media had not caught a hold of this. It will be interesting to see where this goes and if the cops involved actually carry out anything more than lip service. I hope they do, it would make a nice change. I suppose a lot of the outcome depends on how well connected the filth are that carried out the abuse.

Edited by Briandajew

This tragic case has created a huge amount of genuine anger, shock and many are blaming "the Thais".

This is not something that should be labelled a Thai crime, but a human to human crime.

She is Burmese Karen, yet the Burmese army is guilty of terrible crimes against their own people.

Other countries' military have been accused of such crimes.

In India, these things happen all the time to women and children.

Muslim women in Pakistan, Afghanistan and many African countries are mutilated, disfigured and tortured. Similar horrifying things have happened in almost all western countries at one time or another.

I cast blame on the two people responsible. In this sad incident they happen to be Thai nationals. Next time they may be Chinese or Canadian or Austrian..

My point: Don't blame the Thai people. Blame the system that allowed them to do this.

Agree in part with your last line. The system, being a Thai system, that allowed the police to return her to these vile creatures when she first escaped, and the system that bailed these vile creatures now. In China, Canada, Austria, or just about anywhere else, these oxygen thieves would be behind bars. That's the message I hope gets portrayed to the world.
  • Like 1

The absolute first thing they must do is make sure everything is on course for the couple who tortured this girl to be given the maximum punishment.

You reckon? The kidnappers are out on bail. Do you think they are going to hang around for a trial that might well give them a life sentence? Amazing Thailand indeed. Over and over again.