Kn&n Air Filters

shariq607

my current Air filter (stock) needs replacement so i was wondering if higher end air filters such Kn&n air filters are really worth it ?

Does it really improve the air flow resulting in more Hp, better acceleration and most importantly fuel economy?

Does anyone here know where could i get one ?

Edited by shariq607

They are supposed to allow more air to pass through them & the manufacturers say they still filter the air.

i'm not convinced they are any better than OEM.

I had one fitted to a Fortuner i used to own, but i didn't notice any diffrence in performance

Maybe someone can prove me wrong?

Drive safe

Chris

Yes, K&N, they are worth the money. Used them for years on high horsepower V8's. BUT, and yes they do let any engine breath better and you only buy one. They are cleanable, but usually don't need cleaning or re-oiling for 100,000 miles. thumbsup.gif

Edited by transam

A little difference, don't expect what boy racers claim though, but it depends what engine you are starting with. Put it on an eco car and you will be lucky at a couple of extra BHP.

If you replace the filter box with a cone filter under the bonnet you could well lose power and economy especially in a country this hot.

A (cold)air duct, a wider well routed inlet pipe and a widening the airbox inlet would probably have a better result on a small engine.

A little difference, don't expect what boy racers claim though, but it depends what engine you are starting with. Put it on an eco car and you will be lucky at a couple of extra BHP.

If you replace the filter box with a cone filter under the bonnet you could well lose power and economy especially in a country this hot.

A (cold)air duct, a wider well routed inlet pipe and a widening the airbox inlet would probably have a better result on a small engine.

What about Kn&n high performance air intakes?

What about Kn&n high performance air intakes?

I've used a drop in filter for 200K kms, no problems. The cost was 3000 baht+ free cleaning kit at the start. I'm on my second cleaning kit now (about 500 baht). So total cost was 3500 baht. Stock filter is about 600 baht, every 20K kms. So I would have used 10 stock filters, for a total of 6000 baht. So you save money but it depends on the cost of your stock filter.

I don't notice much difference in performance or economy. I modified my airbox (removed some restriction to the filter) that allowed a bit more airflow.

I wouldn't use an open pod filter in this country. Heatsoak from the engine sitting in traffic will reduce performance; and this country is already hot as it is.

Adding a metal intake is crazy and they get so hot - that's one reason plastic is used for stock intakes. One possibility is to get an extra pipe that can direct air to the intake pipe.