Thailand's Prostitution Image Is Embarrassing

webfact

Embarrasing?

Who's embarrased? The sellers? Not apparently. The buyers? Not apparently.

Maybe it is those who are in denial, and do absolutely nothing to change the reality of the state of Thailand who are embarrased.

Yes, one prostitute was very honest in telling me that she and the other girls don't like their work, but they need to do it to provide for their children or parents. You can't believe that many prostitutes are happy with her chosen profession, and not doing it out of necessity. Heck, most wives say no to sex if asked. Why would a prosititue want a different person in her every night? That is a guys dream, not a woman's.

I have heard that on occasion Thai prostitutes don't tell the truth. How do you know the one you were speaking to was telling the truth?

Well i heard many of them telling they are lawyers,nurses,university girls.It doesnt mean you have to believe it,because it isnt true.

But you just have to think with your brain- who the hell want to work as prostitute and having sex with strangers every day.Only people who dont have any choices in life.No matter thailand or other country,nobody wants to work like that

How about Thai people using the sex industry?

Isn't it easier to blame the Farangs rather than to see the whole picture?

Of course... once again the Thai media pretend that the sex industry is embarassing because foreigners know about it....Once again they ignore the 90 per cent of the Thai sex industry that caters for Thai men, not farang. Once again it is all about FACE, not reality.

As long as Thai men buy and use young girls for their sex industry, the girls will get older and drift to Pattaya and Bangkok when they are too old for Thai men.

Thai men are supposedly buddhist too, and the parents who sell their daughters for sex, not just the poor girls themselves.

Hypocrisy

Here are few rambling comments from someone who has been around for a while -

Until maybe 15 years ago Western tourists coming to Thailand with their children was relatively uncommon. Even single female tourists were fairly rare. Of course now you have couples wandering up and down Sukhumvit Soi 4 with their toddlers (why?). People complaining that certain parts of Bangkok are not suitable for "families" need to get a life! Street prostitution was also less common then; most activities went on behind closed doors, in massage parlours, bars, coffee shops. There was at least a slightly better sense of decorum about it all, if nothing else. You didn't really see 65 year old men going bowling with their underwear-clad teenage girlfriends (as one poster described it).

As for this all starting during the Vietnam War - utter rubbish. Clearly, the Vietnam War led to large numbers of young single males showing up in Thailand, both those based in Thailand and those on R&R from Vietnam. They walked into a situation that already existed but hadn't been that obvious to the outside world simply because there weren't that may Westerners visiting Thailand before that, and the number of bars and massage parlours multiplied to serve the demand, but these kinds of establishments predate the war. Bars like the Lolita on Ratchadamnoen Avenue (gone by the mid-nineties) were the (much classier) equivalent of a Nana gogo bar in the 1950s. Virtually all of the establishments that served the Vietnam war era are now history.

There are apparently 24 million tourist arrivals expected in Thailand this year, an eightfold increase from 1987. I don't think the tourist oriented sex "industry" has expanded much since then; proportional to the number of tourists it has actually shrunk. Believe it or not, in the eighties, Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy used to be fairly quiet places, and there were many other bars spread around all over the city serving the tourist trade, but there are eight times as many tourists here now! Farang sex tourists are now mostly confined to a subset of the same places that existed 30 years ago - Nana, Cowboy, Patpong and of course Pattaya. But the range of entertainment choices is now much broader, and most of it has very little to do with prostitution. One small example, the first Irish pub I can remember was Delaney's in 1995 on Saladaeng (Convent?) - now they are all over the place. As for the Thais, there are countless huge massage parlours the size of Las Vegas hotels all along Ratchadapisek and Rama 9 roads. Farang trade is mostly unwelcome or discouraged in these places. The scale of what goes on there absolutely dwarfs tiny places like Nana or Cowboy.

I think the Saturday Night Live sketch that set this discussion off is cheap, lazy, unimaginative, and not particularly funny. The only people who laugh at tired rubbish like that are people who don't know much about Thailand beyond stupid cliches. I really think Thais should not get too offended by ignorant jokes made by second-rate comedians from the US.

• Like 2

Seems like most Thai women are prostitutes on some level. If anyone thinks Thai women expecting compensation for their sex or even their time is limited to the bars they know nothing about this country. You can walk into pretty much any 7/11 anywhere in Thailand and most of the women will go with a man for the right price. Prostitution is part of the culture in Thailand whether they are willing to accept it or not.

To be kind and polite -- This is the most blatantly biased post I've ever seen on TV.

I've heard comments of this type before. There is just no civil way to respond.

This defies all sense of human reasoning. Best to just leave it there.

well unfortunately ThomasBird67 represent many foreigners(not everybody) that thinks that way.Now you know why thailand has a bad reputataion in the world.Because of idiots like him and when returning home spread the news.Internet,youtube is full of them

• Like 2

Ahem, I wonder what % of Thai Visa members have indulged in mongering, or if a forum like Thai Visa would even exist if it weren't for guys going to Thailand to monger (when they are not looking at temples of course). Bottom line is that there would be massive civil unrest if these girls stopped hooking. All of the ancillary services catering to the girls would be out of business too. From Som Tam vendors, to beauty salons, the money that the girls take in is astronomical and help support other businesses. Not to mention all of the money that we sponsors shell out. I send my GF 1,000 USD every month, and I've been doing it for 3 years. Way more than her Thai husband probably gives her (I'm assuming she probably has one--not sure yet, but it seems to be the norm). Maybe it was that "uncle" I met one time. I came to LOS originally to train in Muay Thai, and the girls were just a bonus. I met my GF in a restaurant near a bar district. That restaurant catered to bargirls and I doubt I would have met my little love monkey if it weren't for the bar biz. So, thank you Thailand--keep it up!

Here are few rambling comments from someone who has been around for a while -

Until maybe 15 years ago Western tourists coming to Thailand with their children was relatively uncommon. Even single female tourists were fairly rare. Of course now you have couples wandering up and down Sukhumvit Soi 4 with their toddlers (why?). People complaining that certain parts of Bangkok are not suitable for "families" need to get a life! Street prostitution was also less common then; most activities went on behind closed doors, in massage parlours, bars, coffee shops. There was at least a slightly better sense of decorum about it all, if nothing else. You didn't really see 65 year old men going bowling with their underwear-clad teenage girlfriends (as one poster described it).

As for this all starting during the Vietnam War - utter rubbish. Clearly, the Vietnam War led to large numbers of young single males showing up in Thailand, both those based in Thailand and those on R&R from Vietnam. They walked into a situation that already existed but hadn't been that obvious to the outside world simply because there weren't that may Westerners visiting Thailand before that, and the number of bars and massage parlours multiplied to serve the demand, but these kinds of establishments predate the war. Bars like the Lolita on Ratchadamnoen Avenue (gone by the mid-nineties) were the (much classier) equivalent of a Nana gogo bar in the 1950s. Virtually all of the establishments that served the Vietnam war era are now history.

There are apparently 24 million tourist arrivals expected in Thailand this year, an eightfold increase from 1987. I don't think the tourist oriented sex "industry" has expanded much since then; proportional to the number of tourists it has actually shrunk. Believe it or not, in the eighties, Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy used to be fairly quiet places, and there were many other bars spread around all over the city serving the tourist trade, but there are eight times as many tourists here now! Farang sex tourists are now mostly confined to a subset of the same places that existed 30 years ago - Nana, Cowboy, Patpong and of course Pattaya. But the range of entertainment choices is now much broader, and most of it has very little to do with prostitution. One small example, the first Irish pub I can remember was Delaney's in 1995 on Saladaeng (Convent?) - now they are all over the place. As for the Thais, there are countless huge massage parlours the size of Las Vegas hotels all along Ratchadapisek and Rama 9 roads. Farang trade is mostly unwelcome or discouraged in these places. The scale of what goes on there absolutely dwarfs tiny places like Nana or Cowboy.

I think the Saturday Night Live sketch that set this discussion off is cheap, lazy, unimaginative, and not particularly funny. The only people who laugh at tired rubbish like that are people who don't know much about Thailand beyond stupid cliches. I really think Thais should not get too offended by ignorant jokes made by second-rate comedians from the US.

my view off all those nana,soi 6,soi cowboy red light district is -desperate feeds the desperate

Edited by DA3NDORPHIN3

Ahem, I wonder what % of Thai Visa members have indulged in mongering, or if a forum like Thai Visa would even exist if it weren't for guys going to Thailand to monger (when they are not looking at temples of course). Bottom line is that there would be massive civil unrest if these girls stopped hooking. All of the ancillary services catering to the girls would be out of business too. From Som Tam vendors, to beauty salons, the money that the girls take in is astronomical and help support other businesses. Not to mention all of the money that we sponsors shell out. I send my GF 1,000 USD every month, and I've been doing it for 3 years. Way more than her Thai husband probably gives her (I'm assuming she probably has one--not sure yet, but it seems to be the norm). Maybe it was that "uncle" I met one time. I came to LOS originally to train in Muay Thai, and the girls were just a bonus. I met my GF in a restaurant near a bar district. That restaurant catered to bargirls and I doubt I would have met my little love monkey if it weren't for the bar biz. So, thank you Thailand--keep it up!

Why the hell you still giving her 1k a months??lol . Like i said ,dont look for a good girl in a bad place

Embarrasing?

Maybe it is those who are in denial, and do absolutely nothing to change the reality of the state of Thailand who are embarrased.

Yes, one prostitute was very honest in telling me that she and the other girls don't like their work, but they need to do it to provide for their children or parents. You can't believe that many prostitutes are happy with her chosen profession, and not doing it out of necessity. Heck, most wives say no to sex if asked. Why would a prosititue want a different person in her every night? That is a guys dream, not a woman's.

Thank you,at least 1 normal foreigner here

How do you know what is normal and what is not? Are you a psychologist or doctor of some kind? Why would you be a better judge than anyone else? Why would your opinion be better than someone who does not agree with you?

Why the hell you still giving her 1k a months??lol . Like i said ,dont look for a good girl in a bad place

I keep an apartment in Sutthisan for 7k baht/month, air-con is another 4,000, transportation 1,000, food (street food, restaurants, and groceries) 8,000, That's already 20K/Month and that doesn't include clothes, entertainment, cel phone, internet, school, and of course--the family.

Bangkok is really expensive now. I need a minimum of 2,000 USD to live in a decent place. When my GF goes back to Sisaket, I only send her 15k, and sometimes as low as 8K. but she gets bored there and wants to be in the city. She doesn't make me buy her jewelry or anything expensive. Just happy that she could quit her job at the sea food restaurant--a place that she only made 200 baht/day for a 10 hour shift and she had to spend 80 baht to get to work. Not to mention a creep of a boss that sexually harassed her every day. I can understand why the girls would choose "work at bar" over a minimum slave wage job. It's just not enough to survive.

Edited by KuhnPaen

Embarrasing?

How do you know what is normal and what is not? Are you a psychologist or doctor of some kind? Why would you be a better judge than anyone else? Why would your opinion be better than someone who does not agree with you?

like i said its meaningless to talk about it as i cant/dont want change other peoples mind.What you think is you brain and your opinion and nobody can take that away from you.But for me assumming that a bar girl is working because she likes dick and sleeping with strangers every other day is stupid.For others,carry on..i've seen enough and enough people like ThomasBird67

• Like 2

I keep an apartment in Sutthisan for 7k baht/month, air-con is another 4,000, transportation 1,000, food (street food, restaurants, and groceries) 8,000, That's already 20K/Month and that doesn't include clothes, entertainment, cel phone, internet, school, and of course--the family.

Bangkok is really expensive now. I need a minimum of 2,000 USD to live in a decent place. When my GF goes back to Sisaket, I only send her 15k, and sometimes as low as 8K. but she gets bored there and wants to be in the city. She doesn't make me buy her jewelry or anything expensive. Just happy that she could quit her job at the sea food restaurant--a place that she only made 200 baht/day for a 10 hour shift and she had to spend 80 baht to get to work. Not to mention a creep of a boss that sexually harassed her every day. I can understand why the girls would choose "work at bar" over a minimum slave wage job. It's just not enough to survive.

Sorry before i though u had a girl that works in restaurant like a bar girl? this is why is said,why u send her 1k a month? If she's not a bar girl then i wish you luck. If it was a bar girl i would wish you A LOT of luck lol.

@rinteln

"You write like someone that doesn't actually know any bargirls, or at least only superficially"

So just like another guy earlier you are saying that just because you dont agree with me that this automatically concludes that i don't have any experience of it. Strange logic. It is possible for people to have knowledge of something but also have a difference of opinion on it.

You might aswell say the other one......... "you obviously don't live here then" line.....come on it must be coming. You must be able to guess my life history based on disagreeing with my view.

Your comments make you look insecure but I'm sure that's not your intention. You are entitiled to your opinion which adds a valuable contibution as those of others. Different opinions add to understanding a subject. Most people base their opinions on their experiences, the mental models they've devoloped, and tacit knowledge built up over time. This shapes their world views which forms their opinions. When people respond to an opinion they make a link to other similar opinions they've heard or read, and may reference them. It may be an incorrect link in reality, i.e. you may live here, you may know many bar girls very well, but the responder is linking your comments to those previously noted from people who didn't live here or know bar girls well. It is not an attempt to guess your life history, belittle the value of your opinion or insult you. It is a construct of logic used by many in relating similar opinions.

Back to the topic - Prostitution is a world issue, not unique to Thailand. The Philipinnes is arguably a serious "rival" but manages to avoid the same level of bad publicity. Go to Guanzhou and see the Chinese hookers competing with the influx of Latin American girls. London has large amounts of Russian and other East European whores. Holland and German cities with their legal red light districts etc. Governments and religions over the years have tried to ban or surpress prostitution and failed. It's the world's oldest profession and seems to be a growth industry. I don't know what the answer is - not that clever. Reduce poverty, increase education, reduce corruption, increase law enforcement, provide realistic wages and work opportunities. Will this reduce or eradicate prostitution?

Interesting to note that Scotland will amalgamte it's regional police forces into one Scottish national force. One of the dichotomies to be addressed is the different attitude of the regional forces to prostitution. Some allow massage parlours, escort adds etc another has a no tolerance approach. This lack of consistency probably refelcts the ineffective attempts to eliminate prostitution in the past.

Thailand's reputation is tarnished by many people who propurgate the myths - almost believing that other countries don't have this issue. They do and many have a much worse but conveniently hidden problem.

• Like 2

Nothing like a hooker thread to generate 12 pages of posts in less than 8 hours on TV...lol

May I say that I feel that we TV posters can only be proud to have been able to generate that amount of posts even though we had formidable opposition and obstruction from TOT whistling.gif

like i said its meaningless to talk about it as i cant/dont want change other peoples mind.What you think is you brain and your opinion and nobody can take that away from you.But for me assumming that a bar girl is working because she likes dick and sleeping with strangers every other day is stupid.For others,carry on..i've seen enough and enough people like ThomasBird67

In a good week of 10,080 minutes if she gets lucky less than 1% of her time is spent having sex. The rest is going out to eat, shopping, drinking, watching movies or maybe even travel to a foreign country or at least Pattaya or Chiang Mai. Perhaps you are thinking of the Thai ladies who work in the Thai only end of the industry. Now in the natural progression of things this lady in a Farang venue may learn English and get married and have a home, car and take care of her family. Or perhaps she will become an INTERNET worker and have many sources of income arriving daily via Western Union.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Thailand is 'famous' for it, because Thai are open about it and allow foreigners to participate. Other Asian countries have just as much if not more prostitution than Thailand. It is omnipresent in every Asian society. But in other countries foreigners aren't even permitted to enter most of these places, and foreigners seen with a local female can get very hostile reactions and the woman herself sometimes will be openly insulted by native males. Additionally Thailand is an attractive coubntry to visit in general, so many people will go here and see it occur, and not realize that in China, Korea, etc it is everywhere too. So no, it is not 'fair' the reputation Thailand receives, when they are simply the more open about it.

Been all over Asia and Thailand has by far and away the most prostitutes of anywhere and its not even close. Prostitution certainly does exist everywhere in Asia, but not nearly at the level it does in Thailand.

Your observations, based on your own limited anecdotal evidence, are grossly biased and an unreliable source of information.

If you would bother to do a bit of research you would find that Thailand ranks about number 11 in number of sex workers per 10,000 adult female population. At 44 per 10,000, Thailand is behind such countries as Venezuela (119), Peru (101), Luxembourg (99), Philippines (85), Latvia (67), China (59), Brazil (52), Malaysia (51) and Germany (48). Look it up.

Falang laugh at thai prostitues, and Thai people laugh at falangs who take prostitues for thier wife HAHAHAAHAcheesy.gif who are more stupid???blink.png

Me I personally laugh at the sad sacks of buffalo crap who sit at side of road drinking every afternoon, blowing their wages on cheap nasty alcohol instead of feeding their families. They are the stupidest people around.

And whats the difference between marrying a prostitute or marrying an office girl in Thailand? You don't seriously think non-bar girls here are any less lying and scandalous than the actual bar girls do you?

Who died and appointed you judge of your fellow humans. Get a life.

I look at ThomasBird67's contributions and am reminded of meeting someone who tells you how bad Thailand and Thai people are, then tells you about how bad people are in say Spain, or England or Brazil or .. [Get the picture] without realising that the only common denominator is him.

I'm struggling to understand the difference between a prostitute here, and a Mia Noi.

One does it for money, so does the other.

True, but isn't having a Mia Noi (traditionally has to be agreed to by the wife?) a status symbol and a longer term "relationship", not someone your just renting for a few hours/days

Thailand is 'famous' for it, because Thai are open about it and allow foreigners to participate. Other Asian countries have just as much if not more prostitution than Thailand. It is omnipresent in every Asian society. But in other countries foreigners aren't even permitted to enter most of these places, and foreigners seen with a local female can get very hostile reactions and the woman herself sometimes will be openly insulted by native males. Additionally Thailand is an attractive coubntry to visit in general, so many people will go here and see it occur, and not realize that in China, Korea, etc it is everywhere too. So no, it is not 'fair' the reputation Thailand receives, when they are simply the more open about it.

Been all over Asia and Thailand has by far and away the most prostitutes of anywhere and its not even close. Prostitution certainly does exist everywhere in Asia, but not nearly at the level it does in Thailand.

Your observations, based on your own limited anecdotal evidence, are grossly biased and an unreliable source of information.

If you would bother to do a bit of research you would find that Thailand ranks about number 11 in number of sex workers per 10,000 adult female population. At 44 per 10,000, Thailand is behind such countries as Venezuela (119), Peru (101), Luxembourg (99), Philippines (85), Latvia (67), China (59), Brazil (52), Malaysia (51) and Germany (48). Look it up.

there are prostitutes in every country - just behind closed doors.In thailand,most of places are open,where you can record,photo etc.

This is not just a 'tourist' problem. The Thais seem to ignore the 'domestic' problem on the assumption that foreigners don't know about it. Every city in Thailand has various centres where sex is readily available.

Karaoke clubs, massage entertainment centres, etc. in every city and town in Thailand - catering not to foreigners, but to local Thais of every class.

What Thais may be more concerned about is the reputation that could be gained if foreigners started frequenting places like Ratchada where most of these huge entertainment complexes, up till now geared to service mainly Thai businessmen, and owned by prominent Thai businessmen, police, army and dare I say possibly people related to the government.

Chiang Mai allegedly has over 300 short-time hotels. I've never seen a tourist using the ones I pass.

How would you know? They have covered car parks.

You can see the curtains from the road ...... and the exterior signs advertising the hourly rate tend to give the game away.

• Like 1

Most women in the world are prostitutes. But only the "decent" women let the man pay in various other ways, than charging him after having sex.

Western guy goes out on the town, drops into a bar or club, meets a nice girl, buys her a drink, she smiles, they chat, head out to diner, buys her flowers on the way out of the restaurant, head to a coffee shop, chat some more and find they have a lot in common, amongst which is sexual energy and drive compounded by lonliness and need.

He walk her home, she invites him in, they talk some more, start to get close and nature takes it's course. If he is comfortable he leaves in the morning, if not, he leave an hour or so later. Trade numbers, maybe he calls, maybe he does not. Total bill for the evening for drinks, diner, flowers, coffee & deserts, US$100 or Baht3000.

Same act, same result in Thailand, same energy, same emotions, same needs, US$50 or Baht 1500.

Maybe she leaves in the morning and maybe not. Maybe they trade numbers.

Now which one is a "prostitue" and which one is a "good" girl? Compensated dating with a twist?

• Like 2

Embarrasing?

I have heard that on occasion Thai prostitutes don't tell the truth. How do you know the one you were speaking to was telling the truth?

Well i heard many of them telling they are lawyers,nurses,university girls.It doesnt mean you have to believe it,because it isnt true.

But you just have to think with your brain- who the hell want to work as prostitute and having sex with strangers every day.Only people who dont have any choices in life.No matter thailand or other country,nobody wants to work like that

Believe what you want but if only 1% are prepared to do it for the money then thats still a lot of girls....

I'm struggling to understand the difference between a prostitute here, and a Mia Noi.

One does it for money, so does the other.

They both lie somewhere in the continuum. Women who marry men for money and men who marry women for their money...with marraige it gets interesting... one of the partners gets shafted by law because he fell hopelessly in love, whilst the loveless party walks off with the money...all nice and legal. Heather Mills MacCartney is very much a case in point, but there are many. There are those who chastise anyone engaged in prostitution, but on the other hand cherish marraige as an institution, irrespective of the motives to marry. There's nothing to stop prostitution being an honest profession, but in Thailand the vast majority play such a game of bullshit that they stand out as a class of their own. No prostitute in the world can make such a lucrative living from their "profession" as a Thai girl working as a prostitute in one of its various forms. You make the least money standing on street corners. The more bullshit, the more luctrative and as it has been written before, there's enough bullshit in Pattaya alone to irrigate the Sahara. And "irrigate" it does...just not the Sahara, but the entire North and North East of Thailand! Can anyone imagine the poverty of Issan without 50 years irrigation by bullshit!

Edited by SPIKECM
  • Like 2

Most women in the world are prostitutes. But only the "decent" women let the man pay in various other ways, than charging him after having sex.

Western guy goes out on the town, drops into a bar or club, meets a nice girl, buys her a drink, she smiles, they chat, head out to diner, buys her flowers on the way out of the restaurant, head to a coffee shop, chat some more and find they have a lot in common, amongst which is sexual energy and drive compounded by lonliness and need.

He walk her home, she invites him in, they talk some more, start to get close and nature takes it's course. If he is comfortable he leaves in the morning, if not, he leave an hour or so later. Trade numbers, maybe he calls, maybe he does not. Total bill for the evening for drinks, diner, flowers, coffee & deserts, US$100 or Baht3000.

Same act, same result in Thailand, same energy, same emotions, same needs, US$50 or Baht 1500.

Maybe she leaves in the morning and maybe not. Maybe they trade numbers.

Now which one is a "prostitue" and which one is a "good" girl? Compensated dating with a twist?

Personally I find it quite offensive that you would compare my mother, daughter and wife with a street crawler from Pattaya. They are absolutely nothing like a bar girl who may go out for dinner 10 times per night .

Every place every city in every country have the same prostitution but why make Thailand an issue please change the tag to best tourist country with Best Beaches Take Positive sorry if i offend

Yes every country has prostitution, no denying that. Having worked in the Gaming and Vice Squad with the Victoria Police (Aust) I can assure you 300% when it comes to prostitution in places like Melbourne, it is not even a mozzie bite on an elephants arse compared to Thailand. Our squad was even dispanded as it was no ;onger viable due to the lack of work.

It's been a while since I have been to King's Cross. And Amsterdam and Hamburg and the Mustang ranch and Singapore and .......