Warn Tourists About Thai Driving Habits, Expert Says

webfact

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The last sentance " Thaweesak said Thai people should ALSO improve their driving, what an ffffing joke. One of the most STUPID I have heard in a long time.....WARN tourists about Thai driving habits, another FFFing joke---

It should read--Please take extra care if you drive in Thailand as it is very dangerous. Driving tuition here is near non existant, like Air Asia slogan---anyone can fly------The roads here -slogan Anyone can drive.

I remember when I learned to drive (60s) you where told to think that all the other people driving where idiots so be careful good advice which has kept me safe so far

We are in the land of driving idiots so be extra careful

I taught both my kids to drive over the past few years (the system here now requires that learners receive one hundred hours of logged instruction prior to testing) and instructed them that, whilst they know what their own next move will be, they should ALWAYS assume the other driver is going to do something unexpected.

How about teaching Thais to drive properly before issuing a DL?

How about baying at the Moon?

You stupid farang. You mai khow jai.

I could imagine the RTP climbing over everybody to provide the driving test examiners. Tea money galore to be had.

• Like 2

The last sentance " Thaweesak said Thai people should ALSO improve their driving, what an ffffing joke. One of the most STUPID I have heard in a long time.....WARN tourists about Thai driving habits, another FFFing joke---

It should read--Please take extra care if you drive in Thailand as it is very dangerous. Driving tuition here is near non existant, like Air Asia slogan---anyone can fly------The roads here -slogan Anyone can drive.

I remember when I learned to drive (60s) you where told to think that all the other people driving where idiots so be careful good advice which has kept me safe so far

Same me late 50s driving school---1 year provisional M/c licence... and about 2 million miles from 16-71 years.

My first accident was 3 months ago here, on my m/cycle driving main town road, when a Thai man cut straight infront of me, to avoid him I swerved and the result being Dislocated shoulder and also fractured Shoulder joint. many persons around to help, police--Ha Ha NO report as there was no collision, I farrang lost control, Ha Ha the guilty man no crash hat no insurance, totally wrong, looked as I was sprawled on the road-cut up and never said sorry and the tambon police walked away as the ambulance came. This man should never be on the road,, but looks like I should NOT have been on the road. T my thinking the offender gave a thousand bht to the police NOT to file a report. Corruption together with wreckless driving wins the day. I am now managing to feed with the bad arm, tie my shoes for the first time in 3 months, but cannot raise my handabove shoulder. morphine has been my friend, but now trying to start living again.

Before I retired from AT&T I received a million mile accident free jacket. I owe my driving success to the local fair in our little town each year. I love to drive the bumper cars. This taught me how to avoid accidents.

How many Thai drivers actually have real driving licences?????

There's a guy up the road from me that buys wrecked trucks, mostly older ones and fixes them up to sell. He told me many of these people come in, make a down payment and drive out of the lot. Many of them don't have drivers licence.And some have never driven before.

During this New Year week police stopped around 4 million vehicles and out of them over 200,000 faced legal action for driving without a license. That makes it about 5% of all drivers do not have a license.

Tourist also need to be informed not to act didfferent in Thailand than you would at home. Do not stand in the middle of a road having a conversation, do not walk in the middle of the road, if there is a sidewalk use it. These and other dangerous activities I see every day in my neighborhood, I guess normal intelligent people check their brains when they board the flight to Thailand.

Thank you!!!

Slogan should be "Anyone can Die". Maybe Thai Visa should sponsor a spoof handbook on how to drive in Thailand as the Thais do, little or no skill, little or no licence or insurance,and of course pedestrian crossings with lights as in Pattaya are target practice for the "skittle the farang" competitioncheesy.gif

As tempting as it would be to ride 20km one way to the factory every day on a bicycle, I tried it a couple of times and realized that its not very fun, aside from the heat and grime its just too dangerous because of the lack of driver awareness. The rule here is that the driver(car, truck, motorcycle, even bicycle) is able to make driving decisions independent of others on the road, road conditions and so on. This isn't to say I don't enjoy driving here but when in Thailand, live and exist within their rules which are to roll the dice and hope for the best.

Same me late 50s driving school---1 year provisional M/c licence... and about 2 million miles from 16-71 years.

My first accident was 3 months ago here, on my m/cycle driving main town road, when a Thai man cut straight infront of me, to avoid him I swerved and the result being Dislocated shoulder and also fractured Shoulder joint. many persons around to help, police--Ha Ha NO report as there was no collision, I farrang lost control, Ha Ha the guilty man no crash hat no insurance, totally wrong, looked as I was sprawled on the road-cut up and never said sorry and the tambon police walked away as the ambulance came. This man should never be on the road,, but looks like I should NOT have been on the road. T my thinking the offender gave a thousand bht to the police NOT to file a report. Corruption together with wreckless driving wins the day. I am now managing to feed with the bad arm, tie my shoes for the first time in 3 months, but cannot raise my handabove shoulder. morphine has been my friend, but now trying to start living again.

Thank god you are in recovery mode

I am amazed that there is not more accidents here if you took 100 drivers from Asia and let them loose on the roads at home there would be mayhem

There's a guy up the road from me that buys wrecked trucks, mostly older ones and fixes them up to sell. He told me many of these people come in, make a down payment and drive out of the lot. Many of them don't have drivers licence.And some have never driven before.

During this New Year week police stopped around 4 million vehicles and out of them over 200,000 faced legal action for driving without a license. That makes it about 5% of all drivers do not have a license.

Think the true percentage is much higher than that,

Many of the drivers and riders i see going past here are not even old enough to have a licence.

Edited by tingtongfarang

I don't doubt that statistic. However, the one statistic that is not available is "how many Thais bought their drivers license?" This has been a rampant and pervasive situation for many years all over Thailand. Slipping some cash to the right person avoids taking the tests etc.. I know many, many Thais who have admitted to me they got their license this way. One person said she still had to take the actual driving test, but avoided all else. She said she had to re-do the parallel parking test many times, and still couldn't do it - but was awarded her license nonetheless.

- just a wild guess - maybe 30-40% of all Thai drivers?

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 1

Hah ? Don't try and educate people how to correctly control a vehicle, follow normal traffic etiquette, have the BIB enforce traffic violations. Teach them to reverse park, three point turns and not to bow out to the middle of the road to make a turn into a side street as if driving a Abram tank. Not to mention ensuring they have a license to drive to start with, a road worthy vehicle and that they are not drunk. Then we have double and tripple parkers, Songtaews that bee line it to the kurb without indicating to get a fare. etc etc etc.

Iraqis have better driving skills than this lot. rolleyes.gif

Are you saying in a pissing contest Thailand would beat out Iraq as the worst drivers. Or worst driving habits? How would Bangladesh do if they were allowed to enter the contest?

Who are the judges what are there qualifications?

The whole idea of educating tourist is just an extension of the nanny state where they come from.

Really a tourist arriving in Thailand expecting the same driving habits as where he come's from is ridicules then again coming from a nanny state not surprising.

How about the nanny states educate there citizens on the realities of the world.

They should also tell tourists.Not to rent motorcycles,

If they have No or Little,previous riding experience in their homeland.

It is all talk with the government. This will never stop. I have driven cars & scooters all over the world, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Europe USA and many years in THailand and have never had accident, you do the Roman saying when in any country "When in Rome do as the Romans" Take that attitude when driving in these countries and you should be more safer.

• Like 1

an expert on accident analysis

Really? It's the usual crap trap and will have no effect. There will be no leaflets for tourists. He bows to convention by complaining that the truth will harm Thailand's image and tries to swing the blame onto tourists. No need for change in Thailand, then.

I'm sick of having to avoid motorcyclists weaving across the road or cutting bind corners every time I venture out. That's only two of the things that happen daily. Sometimes I think that their bikes have more brains than they do. I rarely get more then 500m from home before there's a near miss and we live in a village. Drivers of cars, trucks and buses are no better of course.

I don't see how the problem can be solved. The laws aren't enforced properly, the roads aren't maintained properly and novice drivers can buy a licence under the table. Any new law would be forgotten after the police have used it to collect money for six months. Remember the law about drivers using mobile 'phones. A big purge for a while then nothing.

The fundamental issue is that the county functions through bribery, just as we need blood.

• Like 1

What driving habits? I live up in Nongbulamphu and I drive as bad or worse then the locals. What rules of the road? Maybe in some book but none in reality. If my mother only knew how bad i drive up here. Speed freak

They should also tell tourists.Not to rent motorcycles,

If they have No or Little,previous riding experience in their homeland.

It is all talk with the government. This will never stop. I have driven cars & scooters all over the world, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Europe USA and many years in THailand and have never had accident, you do the Roman saying when in any country "When in Rome do as the Romans" Take that attitude when driving in these countries and you should be more safer.

In that case, why do Thais get maimed and killed so often?

BANGKOK: -- It is time for all foreign tourists to be informed frankly about how to travel safely in Thailand, an expert on accident analysis urged yesterday.

Here we go again.

You're right mate, blame the stupid tourist.

How about taking care of the real problem ?

Are you saying in a pissing contest Thailand would beat out Iraq as the worst drivers. Or worst driving habits? How would Bangladesh do if they were allowed to enter the contest?

Who are the judges what are there qualifications?

Allow me to put in an honorable mention for Philippines' drivers here. As bad - perhaps worse - with the added problem of far more badly maintained, older vehicles (on average) and worse roads.... and they drive on the wrong side of the road too.laugh.png

Edited by tropo

The biatch on a Thai radio channel this morning just stopped short of saying it was the couples fault for not wearing bright clothing. mad.gif

While i agree with pb regarding the inappropriateness of the reporter, she (the biatch biggrin.png) has a point. its always a good idea to wear reflective clothing or patches while on the road on a bike. Bicyclist die on US roads also, alot due to bad visibiliy.

Sadly in this case, I think they could have been wearing LED clothing and it wouldnt have helped. sad.png

This is not a thread about comparing one country to another. It's a thread about warning tourists about the dangers of driving in Thailand.

Sadly, I agree with your point on LED clothing not helping, because there was a moron at the wheel of the truck...

The woman on the radio, hereinafter referred to as the biatch, extends the national tone that a farang life is worth less than a Thai life. What would Buddha think?

Good idea

Good idea yes but how are they going to do it? How many tourists actually read the government travel advice websites? Handbooks maybe and why stop with a handbook on thai driving habits, lets extend the hand book about the scams and violence.

Plenty of info out there on scams and violence but people ignore it

Quote: "Some foreign news agencies have reported in a way that might make people think roads in Thailand are not safe. The government is concerned that it might hurt the country's image.

Then fix it, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry then FIX IT.

• Like 2