webfact

ROAD ACCIDENT

Warn tourists about Thai driving habits, expert says

Wannapa Khaopa,

Kornchanok Raksaseri,

Bamrung Amnatcharoenrit

The Nation

30200301-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- It is time for all foreign tourists to be informed frankly about how to travel safely in Thailand, an expert on accident analysis urged yesterday.

newsjs"They should know that travelling in Thailand is often different from their countries," Assistant Prof Thaweesak Taekratok from the Crash Scene Investigation Project at Naresuan University said.

"A handbook should be distributed to guide each of them. We have to warn them of the improper or risky driving behaviour of Thai motorists, risky areas on roads and how rescue workers and medical officials assist with injuries.

"Doing this could not be considered damaging to the country's image. You have to compare the effect from warning visitors about the facts before accidents occur, and when relatives of dead tourists begin digging up [details about] Thailand's traffic problems and bringing them before the foreign media. Which one would cause the worst impact?" Thaweesak said.

He said his team found many foreigners injured in traffic accidents thought all Thai motorists must stop at a red light, but when they did that they had a collision. English communication problems by medical officials and rescue workers also led to misunderstanding among tourists. "So, they need to be informed in regard to accidents," he said.

Meanwhile, relatives have not yet claimed the bodies of a British couple cycling around the world killed in a Thai crash last week.

Mark Kent, UK ambassador to Thailand said: "We are providing consular assistance on this tragic case. The FCO travel advice for Thailand has a section on road travel. This advice highlights the issues around road safety in Thailand. You can find it on our website," he said.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs deputy spokesman Chakkrit Sriwalee said the ministry had informed the UK embassy in Bangkok about the deaths of the couple and asked it to contact their relatives.

"Some foreign news agencies have reported in a way that might make people think roads in Thailand are not safe. The government is concerned that it might hurt the country's image. We are preparing to find measures to prevent accidents and promote road safety including providing English language traffic signs," he said.

Police charged Worapong Sangkawat, 25, the pickup driver who crashed into the couple, with reckless driving causing death.

Piyamarn Techapaibul, president of the Tourism Council, said the accident had had no impact on tourism here. In the long term, she said it would make little impression as readers understood it was an accident.

But she accepted accidents with bicycles and motorcycles were national concerns. The country saw many road deaths, not only among Thais but also foreign tourists.

The government should look for ways to boost road safety. It should keep the roads safe for every life, especially as a rising number of foreign tourists are coming here.

Thaweesak also urged Thai people to improve their driving.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-19

• Like 2

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tourist also need to be informed not to act didfferent in Thailand than you would at home. Do not stand in the middle of a road having a conversation, do not walk in the middle of the road, if there is a sidewalk use it. These and other dangerous activities I see every day in my neighborhood, I guess normal intelligent people check their brains when they board the flight to Thailand.

I have bicycled in Wales, England, and Scotland always had a blinking red light attached to my bicycle. Driver distraction is the leading cause of accidents and deaths by motor vehicle. Unfortunate for the couple

• Like 1

Why the tourists have to change their way of driving ?? I am sorry but a very deep change in the Thai society would be so much better , driving lessons , respect to others etc ...... It will save some Thai lives and will avoid many dead on roads. The main issue is to give proper instruction to Thai as there is a total lack of instruction. if the change must come ...change it with proper driving lessons ....

• Like 2

The biatch on a Thai radio channel this morning just stopped short of saying it was the couples fault for not wearing bright clothing. mad.gif

While i agree with pb regarding the inappropriateness of the reporter, she (the biatch :D) has a point. its always a good idea to wear reflective clothing or patches while on the road on a bike. Bicyclist die on US roads also, alot due to bad visibiliy.

Sadly in this case, I think they could have been wearing LED clothing and it wouldnt have helped. :(

How about teaching Thais to drive properly before issuing a DL?

How many Thai drivers actually have real driving licences?????

There's a guy up the road from me that buys wrecked trucks, mostly older ones and fixes them up to sell. He told me many of these people come in, make a down payment and drive out of the lot. Many of them don't have drivers licence.And some have never driven before.

My favorite quote is...

"Some foreign news agencies have reported in a way that might make people think roads in Thailand are not safe. The government is concerned that it might hurt the country's image. We are preparing to find measures to prevent accidents and promote road safety including providing English language traffic signs," he said.

The reason that people are reporting the roads are not safe is because THEY ARE NOT SAFE!!!!! Talk about shooting the messenger.

Yes, sad when trying to warn of the horrific road accident stats here is somehow seen as tarnishing the kingdoms image.

• Like 2

What kind of warning are they going to give to tourist?

"WARNING! Some Thai drivers will reach down to the floor of their cab to pick up stray baseball caps, bottles of M150, and other things while driving at high speed."

Lets not be unrealistic here. This specific case is not a Thai issue, I dont believe. Several cases happens a year in california with similar results. A someone drops a ph, a lady is putting on makeup, a teen is eating a burger, and the winner almost every year, Someone is texting!!!. Yes, this happened in Thailand, but it happens everyday world wide.

Its just a sad case, thats all. I know we'd all like to vent our anger, and fustration. but lets be a little more realistic about the cause, and how we can help prevent a similar thing in the future.

In this case, the cause was an inattentive driver :( and the result is a particually sad situation.

just my 2 cents

Edited by jamhar

As i noted in a previous article, its front page on US Yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.co...-161455377.html

I am surprised at how quickly the driver was released on bail.

Yes, I noticed not only front page, but featured article at the top with pics of the couple. I wonder if the culture minister will also complain to the US Embassy about how this article further adds to the Thai bashing going on by the US media?

Edited by keemapoot

Why is it a Professor saying Foreigners should beware of Thailand's crazy driving habits and for the country to improve it's driving habits. Why is this not said by those who are in a position to do something about it? I know why, because they dont give a ****

What kind of warning are they going to give to tourist?

"WARNING! Some Thai drivers will reach down to the floor of their cab to pick up stray baseball caps, bottles of M150, and other things while driving at high speed."

Lets not be unrealistic here. This specific case is not a Thai issue, I dont believe. Several cases happens a year in california with similar results. A someone drops a ph, a lady is putting on makeup, a teen is eating a burger, and the winner almost every year, Someone is texting!!!. Yes, this happened in Thailand, but it happens everyday world wide.

Its just a sad case, thats all. I know we'd all like to vent our anger, and fustration. but lets be a little more realistic about the cause, and how we can help prevent a similar thing in the future.

In this case, the cause was an inattentive driver sad.png and the result is a particually sad situation.

just my 2 cents

Maybe the example of a warning I used was a little off. But, the point is - what warning are they going to give? Please be carefull driving in Thailand as we don't know how. huh.png

The last sentance " Thaweesak said Thai people should ALSO improve their driving, what an ffffing joke. One of the most STUPID I have heard in a long time.....WARN tourists about Thai driving habits, another FFFing joke---

It should read--Please take extra care if you drive in Thailand as it is very dangerous. Driving tuition here is near non existant, like Air Asia slogan---anyone can fly------The roads here -slogan Anyone can drive.

I remember when I learned to drive (60s) you where told to think that all the other people driving where idiots so be careful good advice which has kept me safe so far

We are in the land of driving idiots so be extra careful

Edited by jocko
  • Like 2