Renewal Of Uk Passport In Thailand

If you have a Debit Card you can pay for your passport renewal approx cost Baht 6400...just fill in the form send all passport forms plus payment form (fill the amount in sterling send by EMS Thai post... track it and then within 10 days you will receive your new passport via DHL to your address when you will sign for the document envelope.

Then you go to immigration and have your visa stamps transferred into your new passport...at no cost.

I have just done it all this past week.

Don't have a UK bank any more so must send in baht via SCB. No bank here, apart from a Foreign Account with the main office of Bangkok Bank appears willing to transfer in other currencies, so hoping that will do?

I am no great fan of banks but don't you think you have left yourself exposed by not having a UK or Thai (domestic) bank ?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a Debit Card you can pay for your passport renewal approx cost Baht 6400...just fill in the form send all passport forms plus payment form (fill the amount in sterling send by EMS Thai post... track it and then within 10 days you will receive your new passport via DHL to your address when you will sign for the document envelope.

Then you go to immigration and have your visa stamps transferred into your new passport...at no cost.

I have just done it all this past week.

Don't have a UK bank any more so must send in baht via SCB. No bank here, apart from a Foreign Account with the main office of Bangkok Bank appears willing to transfer in other currencies, so hoping that will do?

I am no great fan of banks but don't you think you have left yourself exposed by not having a UK or Thai (domestic) bank ?

I have two Thai bank accounts, SCB and BKK. I hear Bitcoin isn't doing so well tongue.png

Thanks, I should have stated 'theoretically could apply beginning March'. Bit busy at the moment so can wait until say, December/January yes? What is the 9 month thing? I have waded through the 'guidelines' but bit blurry blink.png

Info here: https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

My apologies. I was sure that it was six months.

Put it down to needing new glasses and not just a senior moment but a senior 3 months.

sorry.gif.pagespeed.ce.HIAcli9fRM.png

But the real point is you can renew your passport at any time - there is no restriction of six or nine months - just that you can only receive up to 9 months extra credit (which is a good deal as most countries do not get any credit beyond normal 5 or 10 year passport validity). Many travelers have to renew much earlier if they travel often and pages fill up.

• Like 1

SCB aka Siam Commercial Bank I think is a Thai bank.

Yes, but I was asked if I were not leaving myself exposed in not having a bank a/c, UK or Thai. Some misunderstanding, somewhere, as I had said that Thai banks will not transfer in any other currencies other than Thai Baht.

Thanks Lopburi for your succinct post on being able to renew UK passport at any time, and to the poster/s who stated a Thai Bank Debit Card is accepted. I can use my SCB or BKK Debit card then thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

No. The only passport available directly from a Consulate/Embassy would be one year type - normal UK passports are only issued in the UK.

As of March 26th 2014 the following new rules apply for passport renewal application . Look forward to 2 trips to Bangkok - one to apply and another to pick it up when it arrives. What a masterstroke by the passport office - the changes will cause extra expense, travel and time for all applicants unless they live in Bangkok. Even then its not as easy as it was filling in the forms and sending by DHL as before this change in process. This is not a joke - check the goverments website from which this extract was taken. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Making your application

You must apply in person. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages). You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

UK Visa Application Centre

The Trendy Office Building,

28th Floor,

Sukhumvit Soi13,

Klongtoey-Nua,

Wattana,

Bangkok

Thailand

Getting your passport

Your passport will be delivered to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied - you must collect it in person.

They will contact you - using the details on your application form - when your passport is ready to collect.

You must bring your existing passport as photo ID.

Contact the Passport Adviceline

Telephone: +44 (0) 300 222 0000

Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (UK time)

Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm (UK time)

• Like 1

No. The only passport available directly from a Consulate/Embassy would be one year type - normal UK passports are only issued in the UK.

As of March 26th 2014 the following new rules apply for passport renewal application . Look forward to 2 trips to Bangkok - one to apply and another to pick it up when it arrives. What a masterstroke by the passport office - the changes will cause extra expense, travel and time for all applicants unless they live in Bangkok. Even then its not as easy as it was filling in the forms and sending by DHL as before this change in process. This is not a joke - check the goverments website from which this extract was taken. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Making your application

Bring original supporting documents and a photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages). You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

28th Floor,

Sukhumvit Soi13,

Klongtoey-Nua,

Wattana,

Bangkok

Thailand

Getting your passport

Your passport will be delivered to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied - you must collect it in person.

They will contact you - using the details on your application form - when your passport is ready to collect.

Yes just one slight problem with this new system , you cannot send an e-mail to make the appointment at the moment. I have been trying to send an e-mail since the above date and they come back to me as undeliverable time and again. There is no local office phone number to contact so a call to the UK will be rather expensive. I had one reply to an enquiry asking what the hell I am supposed to do , and it said Newport passport office will conntact me within 3 workng days ??? still waiting!!! Got a good mind to go there directly and just walk through the door , if that can be done. I also want to know if i still have to pay by banker draft or can i pay cash there or by CC or Debit card, before i go there. IS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM ???

Edited by daiwill60

Making your application

28th Floor,

Sukhumvit Soi13,

Klongtoey-Nua,

Wattana,

Bangkok

Thailand

Getting your passport

Yes just one slight problem with this new system , you cannot send an e-mail to make the appointment at the moment. I have been trying to send an e-mail since the above date and they come back to me as undeliverable time and again. There is no local office phone number to contact so a call to the UK will be rather expensive. I had one reply to an enquiry asking what the hell I am supposed to do , and it said Newport passport office will conntact me within 3 workng days ??? still waiting!!! Got a good mind to go there directly and just walk through the door , if that can be done. I also want to know if i still have to pay by banker draft or can i pay cash there or by CC or Debit card, before i go there. IS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM

I sent them 2 emails both went but got no answer. 5 days now.

I still don't know if you need proof of address and I don't have a credit card.

My second email was to ask if they accept a Kasikorn bank debit card and of not what other method of payment do they accept.

I am thinking about going to the Embassy and asking them to verify my address but there's no sense in doing that if I can't pay.

It shows you just how f**cked up they are if they cant accept a debit card from the country expats live in.

And how many people stay in apartments where you don't get any bills from the likes of the electricity company.?

Would appreciate anyone who knows for sure replying

I sent them 2 emails both went but got no answer. 5 days now.

I sent a test email this morning...

I still don't know if you need proof of address.

I would hope not, given 2x pers appearances are now necessary.

My second email was to ask if they accept a Kasikorn bank debit card and of not what other method of payment do they accept.

Cash should also be an option during a first pers appearance.

Would appreciate anyone who knows for sure replying

Me too, but in the meantime i'm reluctantly placing my faith in common sense smile.png

Edited by evadgib

Making your application

28th Floor,

Sukhumvit Soi13,

Klongtoey-Nua,

Wattana,

Bangkok

Thailand

Getting your passport

Yes just one slight problem with this new system , you cannot send an e-mail to make the appointment at the moment. I have been trying to send an e-mail since the above date and they come back to me as undeliverable time and again. There is no local office phone number to contact so a call to the UK will be rather expensive. I had one reply to an enquiry asking what the hell I am supposed to do , and it said Newport passport office will conntact me within 3 workng days ??? still waiting!!! Got a good mind to go there directly and just walk through the door , if that can be done. I also want to know if i still have to pay by banker draft or can i pay cash there or by CC or Debit card, before i go there. IS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM ???

Check the email address again - I have had 4 emails (2 sent, 2 received) today.