Traffic Mayhem Between Patong & Kathu

DaveHKT

Virtually every day there are problems on the road over the mountain caused by broken vehicles, mainly tour busses and to a lessor extent overloaded trucks. In the week there have been at least three incidents involving tour bus crashes. When will the local authorities start taking road safety seriously? (instead of simply taking money of motorists).

Its high season. Get used to it getting worse in the future.

I used to think the tunnel to patong was silly but it would really help on that hill.

Agree it's the high season, unfortunately the problem with heavy vehicles and tour busses continues throughout the low season as well and while a tunnel (when completed) would certainly help aleviate, at least on the Kathu side, the problem of poorly maintained trying to crest the hill, traffic will be gridlocked on the Patong side. But this will only happen when a tunnel is finally complete, during construction the main artery in and out of Patong will be impossible. In the meantime traffic to/from Patong (including emergency services if ever needed) will continue to be severely disrupted.

If local authorities channeled some of their efforts into ensuring vehicles were at least in a fit state to use their roads then maybe, just maybe, things could improve

• Like 1

I have been on that road 3 times in the last 5 days. There have been 3 busses stuck, broken down, or both 3 out of 5 days. I don't know, maybe same bus, as my eyes are getting old. Either way....Move it, or lose it.

Went up the hill yesterday and again today. Two buses now broken down opposite Patong City sign. One parked for several days in the dirt near the long overdue housing project just before Absolute (near where the mayor went down the hole).

I also saw a Pegas bus outside the Patong Police station that has been parked for about 1 week. Must be the one that failed to negotiate the curve on the hill and the driver did a runner. I would have thought that this would have been sorted with the BIB by now.