Nearly New Cbr250S For Sale, Why ?

cornishcarlos

I have been contemplating buying a CBR for a long time now. A few reasons why I haven't yet, main one being money used for other projects.

A big concern for me now though is the amount of 2 month, 4 month 6 month old 250s for sale..

Why is this !!

A) they are sh#t

B) people haven't done their research

C) anyone who buys one suddenly has to leave the country

Now the Ninja supporters will go with option A but having done my research and knowing what I want the bike for, I reckon at the price you can't go wrong !!

So why are they being sold all the time :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A - Cbr250 is not a shitty bike and offers the best vale for the money now in Thailand. You can get one for 75 k - 80 k nowadays.

B - Sonebody elses research is not your problem.

C - That might be true for some cases.

Also, it is stepping point for big bikes in Thailand and some people upgraded or upgrading to big bikes. Like me.

Just test drive it. If you like it go buy it. Why do you care about others? but dont buy a new one go for second hand.

A - Cbr250 is not a shitty bike and offers the best vale for the money now in Thailand. You can get one for 75 k - 80 k nowadays.

Also, it is stepping point for big bikes in Thailand and some people upgraded or upgrading to big bikes. Like me.

Just test drive it. If you like it go buy it. Why do you care about others? but dont buy a new one go for second hand.

I care about what other people are doing if they are doing it because of something I have overlooked.

Thought there might be problems with them that I hadn't come across..

Agree about why they would sell to upgrade etc but why so soon after buying, why not just buy bigger to start with ?

I also like the Ninja but as said, I know why I want the bike and the price difference doesn't justify it for my purposes.

Why would you go 2nd hand and not new, I did read that they were available for 99k in Chumpon..

Try to get a 2012 model, the first lot of 2011 had a few problems, the cam chain tensioner guides were noisy as well as some reports of the oil pump clicking.The oil filter gasket as well as the front sprocket shaft seal are known to leak oil, i got mine used at 17k and both are leaking, not bad but there is seepage. Not squirting out or anything.

I got my cbr250r for 99k in Chumphon and have no regrets.

In my previous biker incarnation in the Uk I always had big bikes but the littlun does most of what I want.

I have considered the new Honda 500's but can't really justify the extra spend. When my lottery numbers come up though an MV Augusta and Goldwing will be in my garage.

Quality wise I am very happy, no rattles, squeaks, mechanical gremlins or leaks after 14k km's.

Can be serviced just about anywhere.

Never gets less than 35km's p/litre on gasohol 95.

Thailands bike bargain of the century imho.

• Like 1

I care about what other people are doing if they are doing it because of something I have overlooked.

Thought there might be problems with them that I hadn't come across..

Agree about why they would sell to upgrade etc but why so soon after buying, why not just buy bigger to start with ?

I also like the Ninja but as said, I know why I want the bike and the price difference doesn't justify it for my purposes.

Why would you go 2nd hand and not new, I did read that they were available for 99k in Chumpon..

Cbr250 is now 110 k after the nrw tax and 120 k for abs model.

A second hand goes for 80 k so hard to justify that 30 k. People especially russians buy them and sell them like chips. Keep in mind, some cannot find what they are looking for here so leave quick once they lost their all money to girls.

You just think your needd.

And i have a 2011 model and no leakages and no clicks.

In my previous biker incarnation in the Uk I always had big bikes but the littlun does most of what I want.

I have considered the new Honda 500's but can't really justify the extra spend. When my lottery numbers come up though an MV Augusta and Goldwing will be in my garage.

Quality wise I am very happy, no rattles, squeaks, mechanical gremlins or leaks after 14k km's.

Was your 99k model with ABS ??

If so, that is definately bargain bucket.. Where is that dealer, just a 2hr drive for me :)

Thanks for the info, all of you..

I'll keep checking the classifieds until I have the spare cash..

Why so many for sale when only a few months old?

Man arrives in Thailand, or has been here awhile, has a bit of extra cash. Gets a nice new bike.

Man meets girls has to sell bike,(for reasons unknown) or gf/wife is now pregnant, has to sell bike.

Maybe they had an accident, hospital bill = sell bike.

A few older gentlemen here, maybe they got sick = sell bike.

I don't think there's much or anything wrong with the bike, maybe some just jumped on the bandwagon to buy the shiny new CBR and now realise they need that money.

Clearly I'm talking about us farangs here, I don't think the Thai's that buy them are selling them after a few months, but I could be wrong.

Edited by macknife

Bought and sold mine after 10 days. Its an all round good bike but I got bored of it and wouldnt want to do long journeys on it.

The wife wanted me to swap out for a truck so we could go on our jollies without getting wet.

New bigger bike soon I hope. Just have to persuade the boss its a good idea.

:D

I think people sell for a number of reasons not bike quality related.

Some reasons could be

1. Did not realize that shopping can not be carried

2. Could not test drive and may not like the feel

3. Ran out of money

4. Not as easy to ride as a scooter

I am 95 kg and i bought a fino as my first bike, because i did not even realize i would look like an elephant riding a mouse, sold it few months later.

I bought elegance, but sold it 3 months later because PCX came out

Was your 99k model with ABS ??

If so, that is definately bargain bucket.. Where is that dealer, just a 2hr drive for me :)

Thanks for the info, all of you..

I'll keep checking the classifieds until I have the spare cash..

It was non abs. Abs was 115k at the time.

Dealership was on the left of the main road into Chumphon just over the flyover after turning left heading south on the bypass.

Memory is a little hazy but I think it was also a main Honda car dealership too.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 250 Honda - I have had one for nearly 2 years, & not had even one minor problem. I know others with the same experience. Best cheap all-round bike for local trips and touring in Thailand. A beautiful little bike, handles well, great brakes and super economical. More sophisticated than the Ninja 250 - the Ninja has slightly more power and top speed, but lacks the finesse of the Honda. This is not say that the Ninja is a bad bike - it's just that it is old technology but without the benefits of old-fashioned build quality before the new era of plastics.

However, like many,I am going to sell my CBR250 to make way for the 500. I think many riders change bikes like fashions both here and overseas, and the extra HP of the 500 will be fun. I would probably just keep the Honda 250, but my wife won't let me have more bikes for some reason that only women can fathom. She claims 4 bikes is enough. I have been trying to get her to understand that one is only a 125 Wave runabout, another a Mio shopping trolley for her, so they don't count as bikes. Only 2 are road bikes, and I also need an Enduro! A trials bike would be fun too..... Interestingly enough, she insists I never sell my classic old Honda 400/4. She says she loves the sound.

• Like 1

A friend back home whom i must describe as MC fanatic had only one comment when i asked for his advice

"-Cubic is King", 1000cc at a bare minimum but bigger=better, you'll get bored of that 750 in a week !!

(i was contemplating both a 750 & a 1100) so 1100 it was

More sophisticated than the Ninja 250 - the Ninja has slightly more power and top speed, but lacks the finesse of the Honda. This is not say that the Ninja is a bad bike - it's just that it is old technology but without the benefits of old-fashioned build quality before the new era of plastics.

Ok I probably shouldn't ask as it is just your opinion, but curiosity got the better of me smile.png

In what way do you think the cbr250 is more sophisticated than the New Ninja 250?

Or were you talking about the older carb'ed models?

Not that a carb vs FI is the end all of sophistication smile.png

But I did wonder when you said old technology without the benefits of build quality?

The free market prices of both used & new ninja's compared to cbr's suggest otherwise.

I would not go as far as to actually say either one is what a sport biker would call sophisticated due to the lack

of any real suspension tuning aside from the 5 way adjustable rear shock on both.

But without rebound/compression dampening adjustments front & rear neither could be called a sophisticated ride in suspension department.

But as for comparisons I do not see it as even close really & that would go for pretty much all the recent years

Engine? Top end aside as you mentioned how is a single low RPM thumper more sophisticated than a higher reving twin.

This years 250 comes with dual-butterfly throttle bodies a larger oil sump, die-cast aluminum sleeveless cylinders treated with an anti-friction coating, anodized crankshaft journals also for reduced friction, new pistons and increased engine-cooling performance.

Chassis? Ninja is circuit proven for years & yet again has been improved this year with a new frame.

What circuit history/pedigree does the cbr250 have?

Styling & instrumentation? A personal preference of course but I would not say that cbr250 evokes any passion

As I said I would not call either sophisticated but to claim the little cbr thumper is more sophisticated or has

more finesse is hard to imagine. At one time I would say Honda was king of fit & finish but recent reports suggest otherwise in that department also. I have also seen the 500 up close & am sorry but it falls way short of the old Honda standard of fit & finish IMHO. The old fit & finish does not apply to bike built outside of the US & Japan it seems.

Just my 2 cents of course & YMMV

Edited by mania

Thanks guys..

Don't really need another debate about Ninja vs CBR.

Was just interested in theories as to why there were quite a few nearly new ones for sale.

Thought I had missed something bad in my research, but all reasons posted are valid.

Still think it is a bargain for a run around/mini tourer.

Thanks guys..

Was just interested in theories as to why there were quite a few nearly new ones for sale.

Thought I had missed something bad in my research, but all reasons posted are valid.

Yes & I was not looking for a debate but was curious about that "sophisticated" statement ;)

As to why you see so many for sale I think it is obvious.

It is not a bad bike but they sell tons of them.

Many folks tire of them quickly for what ever reasons

be it, financial,lack of passion/power/enthusiasm who knows but the owners.

But at the same time you do not see many Ninja 250's for sale new or otherwise.

Yes they do not sell as many as the lower priced Honda's but the ratio

is still more than lopsided in favor of folks keeping their Ninja's longer for what ever reasons.

Thanks guys..

Yes & I was not looking for a debate but was curious about that "sophisticated" statement ;)

is still more than lopsided in favor of folks keeping their Ninja's longer for what ever reasons.

Don't tell anyone but I prefer the Ninja too.

However, I can't justify the extra spend at the moment and all I want for now is a bike to cruise around on without a basket on the front :)

• Like 2

If your 2011 model has oil leaks, take it back to the dealer for repairs under warranty. The engine and gearbox have a 5 year warranty. And 17.7 km isn't so far in nearly 2 years. About 200 km a week.

Warranty transferrable?

Thanks guys..

Yes & I was not looking for a debate but was curious about that "sophisticated" statement wink.png

Don't tell anyone but I prefer the Ninja too.

However, I can't justify the extra spend at the moment and all I want for now is a bike to cruise around on without a basket on the front smile.png

me too...dont tell anyone

• Like 2

I rode one a few weeks ago and, well, they are a bit boring, unless you drive it fast and then you are dead.

Perhaps the owners are either dead bored or just dead.

My advice, buy one from a bored guy.......................

I think this a serious issue in Asia, everything that moves is so bloody boring, pig ugly cars, shit looking trucks and boring bikes....and where does all this stuff emanate from?..Japan...a country that makes a bloody ritual out of making a cup of tea. Someone give them a sodding teabag!!!

Bit of an update. Today was informed by the missus that we don't need another motorbike.

To which I replied: Of course we don't need another one, but I may just buy one anyway because I can.

Don't think she gets it! rolleyes.gif

More sophisticated than the Ninja 250 - the Ninja has slightly more power and top speed, but lacks the finesse of the Honda. This is not say that the Ninja is a bad bike - it's just that it is old technology but without the benefits of old-fashioned build quality before the new era of plastics.

Ok I probably shouldn't ask as it is just your opinion, but curiosity got the better of me

In what way do you think the cbr250 is more sophisticated than the New Ninja 250?

Or were you talking about the older carb'ed models?

Not that a carb vs FI is the end all of sophistication

But I did wonder when you said old technology without the benefits of build quality?

The free market prices of both used & new ninja's compared to cbr's suggest otherwise.

I would not go as far as to actually say either one is what a sport biker would call sophisticated due to the lack

of any real suspension tuning aside from the 5 way adjustable rear shock on both.

But without rebound/compression dampening adjustments front & rear neither could be called a sophisticated ride in suspension department.

But as for comparisons I do not see it as even close really & that would go for pretty much all the recent years

Engine? Top end aside as you mentioned how is a single low RPM thumper more sophisticated than a higher reving twin.

This years 250 comes with dual-butterfly throttle bodies a larger oil sump, die-cast aluminum sleeveless cylinders treated with an anti-friction coating, anodized crankshaft journals also for reduced friction, new pistons and increased engine-cooling performance.

Chassis? Ninja is circuit proven for years & yet again has been improved this year with a new frame.

What circuit history/pedigree does the cbr250 have?

Styling & instrumentation? A personal preference of course but I would not say that cbr250 evokes any passion

As I said I would not call either sophisticated but to claim the little cbr thumper is more sophisticated or has

more finesse is hard to imagine. At one time I would say Honda was king of fit & finish but recent reports suggest otherwise in that department also. I have also seen the 500 up close & am sorry but it falls way short of the old Honda standard of fit & finish IMHO. The old fit & finish does not apply to bike built outside of the US & Japan it seems.

Just my 2 cents of course & YMMV

No need to re-run the comparisons all over again. Yes, the Ninja is a good little bike. It has been since 1986 when it was first produced. Subsequent tinkering has improved it. But the Honda 250 is a brand-new top to bottom design, drawing on racing R&D that Kawasaki cannot match. At the end of the day, each to their own. But having ridden both, I found the choice easy when it came to buying one. The Honda feels so much more integrated (to me). And it was a lot cheaper too. I have owned Kwakas and quite like them. But brand loyalty is not so important when choosing a bike to live with .

If your 2011 model has oil leaks, take it back to the dealer for repairs under warranty. The engine and gearbox have a 5 year warranty. And 17.7 km isn't so far in nearly 2 years. About 200 km a week.

Warranty transferrable?

Good question - I had assumed it was, but TIT - maybe someone knows definitively?