Planning To Buy A Townhouse In Pathum Thani

i have plans to purchase a townhouse with my soon-to-be wife in Pathum Thani.

As myself i am not staying in Thailand but i wish to have my wife well taken care and also a place for me as i travel to thailand often due to job/holiday and of cause my wife.

i looking at around 1.5M baht +/-(not sure if this budget is reasonable). i seen a few through online property websites and reading alot to understand more on this process.

any advice on the budget size whether it is possible to get a townhouse that is decent and look modern? i seen a few prices at 1.5M baht tru the online sites under agents.

will like to understand more on the costing and hidden cost.

PattayaPhom, it is only 2011 now it's no more flooding while Patumthani Klong 1-5 are nice. The Gov now cut the short cut canel to the Chaopaya river directly.'

KhunPadThaiAroy 1.5 m. baht for townhouse, you can go lookinga round Rangsit Klong 1-6 , Phatumtani, it has a lot of projects in your budget. Sure, it's modern one and get the brand new in some project too. If you need more advice, please, private massage to me Free charge for you.

At that price you will probably end up on a plot less than 30tw, same as all the others, making it almost impossible to shift if you need to sell.

My advice is buy a piece of land and build your own house.

As for the suggestion above, well i suppose it depends on how you define "nice", most of them are overpriced crap, poorly fitted and finished, cheap housing for the masses.

Remember the house will need to be put in your wife's name thus you will have no claim in it should things go wrong.

I say do not but in Thai.

I sold my house and will never invest there again.

A bit of thai gold, money in bank OK. Never in property.

Please consider this seriously.

Good luck.

At that price you will probably end up on a plot less than 30tw, same as all the others, making it almost impossible to shift if you need to sell.

As for the suggestion above, well i suppose it depends on how you define "nice", most of them are overpriced crap, poorly fitted and finished, cheap housing for the masses.

Buying land and building for that price won't get you much either. Plus you have the hassle of dealing with Thai builders that probably don't speak any English. Probably safer to buy a finished house. There are some good quality houses in that area. They aren't all cheap and poorly fitted. Up to the buyer to check first.

Edited by davejones

davejones, i like what you said, life is short, lets worry less. im not looking at investment. im looking at a place to allow my wife to stay and near her family so she wont be bored.i dont have lump of saving as im quite young thats explain my low budget. so helpful guys gave me few thailand project links around Pathum Thani area at very reasonable prices. hope guys with such good projects please share more with me.

and for me i always wanted a nice place for myself. and with 1.5m baht in my country... only afford 1/10 of a 72sqm APARTMENT. LOL

planning to migrate to thailand in 4-5years time, ill bring my saving start a small business and enjoy the other half of my life in thailand :)

Remember the house will need to be put in your wife's name thus you will have no claim in it should things go wrong. I say do not but in Thai. I sold my house and will never invest there again. A bit of thai gold, money in bank OK. Never in property. Please consider this seriously. Good luck.

Nothing wrong with buying in wife's name. If she's your wife, then you should trust her. It's only 1.5 million, so no big deal. When I get married I'll be happy to buy a house in my wife's name. Life is too short to worry over such things. Too many moaners and worriers on her - don't do this, don't do that. Much better to have an actual life than to come on here every day telling others what they shouldn't do.

Some people want a nice home for their family, and are happy to buy, because they trust their family.

Well said Davejones...

"Too many moaners on here"

I bought a townhouse in Chiang Mai, in my wifes name of course, for me to enjoy with her. When I depart this world, she then has somewhere to live quite cheaply.

davejones, i like what you said, life is short, lets worry less. im not looking at investment. im looking at a place to allow my wife to stay and near her family so she wont be bored.i dont have lump of saving as im quite young thats explain my low budget. so helpful guys gave me few thailand project links around Pathum Thani area at very reasonable prices. hope guys with such good projects please share more with me.

and for me i always wanted a nice place for myself. and with 1.5m baht in my country... only afford 1/10 of a 72sqm APARTMENT. LOL

planning to migrate to thailand in 4-5years time, ill bring my saving start a small business and enjoy the other half of my life in thailand smile.png

Best thing you can do is go to the area and drive around. You will see plenty of new projects, and you will see a few for sale signs if you walk around the old projects. So just see what's available and what suits you best.

by far the best advice here is, go visit Pathum Thani with your wife, stay a day or two, drive around and check what is available, also keep in mind the flooding warning when looking at areas prone to flooding. You will see many houses and lots with a "for sale" sign and your wife can call the phone number immediately whilst you are still driving around. First call to the buyer done by your (thai) wife always better than you going to contact buyer first - simply because when the farang asks, the price will go up!

by far the best advice here is, go visit Pathum Thani with your wife, stay a day or two, drive around and check what is available, also keep in mind the flooding warning when looking at areas prone to flooding. You will see many houses and lots with a "for sale" sign and your wife can call the phone number immediately whilst you are still driving around. First call to the buyer done by your (thai) wife always better than you going to contact buyer first - simply because when the farang asks, the price will go up!

There has only been flooding there once in the last 50 years, so I doubt it will flood again any time soon.

planning to migrate to thailand in 4-5years time, ill bring my saving start a small business and enjoy the other half of my life in thailand :)

You answered one very important point yourself. House have to be close to her family so she won't be bored. That's absolutely true and helps her to maintain the contact with the family, which is essential when you are abroad. Good luck and a happy future

Fatfather

I'm in the same situation and looking to buy. We have land to build on, but nervous about this and now considering purchasing ready built, particularly as we both live in the UK most of the year.

I'll purchase in my wife's name so she has somewhere to live if anything untoward happens.

Having looked at the second hand market, I've decided probably not due to exaggerated sale prices and the poor state of what I've seen.

planning to migrate to thailand in 4-5years time, ill bring my saving start a small business and enjoy the other half of my life in thailand smile.png

Why doesnt your girlfriend get a place near to where she works?

If she must be near her family, why doesnt she live with them?

If she cant live with them, why doesnt she rent a place up that way, rents are dirt cheap?

Why doesnt she get a mortgage?

Whats the rush to buy?

Good luck to you on trying to maintain a long distance relationship for the next 4-5 years.

Buying land and building for that price won't get you much either. Plus you have the hassle of dealing with Thai builders that probably don't speak any English. Probably safer to buy a finished house. There are some good quality houses in that area. They aren't all cheap and poorly fitted. Up to the buyer to check first.
Probably the best houses I have seen up that way have been those built by, Land and Home.

I lived in Pathum thani in a village, it was 11 years old at the time. We bought a townhouse, it was about 1.25 M baht. Sold it a few years ago for 1.4M. It was OK, not great, but you get what you pay for. There are a lot of developments going on in Nonthaburi - Muang Thong Thani, I think from about 1.9M, so might be worth a look. This was one of the few places not to get flooded a couple of years back. Of course, there are new villages popping up, with houses up to 5 or 6 million baht.

http://www.cbre.co.th/en/Bangkok-Condo-Condominium-Double-Lake-Muang-Thong-Thani.asp

http://www.bangkokland.co.th/doublelake/floodB.php

If she cant live with them, why doesnt she rent a place up that way, rents are dirt cheap?

Whats the rush to buy?

Good luck to you on trying to maintain a long distance relationship for the next 4-5 years.

Very strange response.

What makes you think she doesn't work in Patumthani?

What's it got to do with you where she lives?

Maybe they want to buy a place.

Maybe they don't want an obligation to a bank?

Who says they're rushing?

Maybe you're trying to suggest something about the lady.

• Like 1

Whats the rush to buy?

Very strange response.

The response was typical of what you get on ThaiVisa. Some very negative people on here. You'll get used to it.

My father in law recently purchased a new townhouse in Samut Prakan in a moobaan for 1.5M. 2 Floor, 3 (small) bedrooms. So i'm sure you can find similar in Pathum Thani.

It's worth noting that in these kind of budget moobaans you get "budget residents"....it would not surprise me if I went to visit my FIL one day and there were chickens running around the moobaan streets and industrial size oven chimneys coming around of his neighbors house. But there is also a strong sense of community as there are always lots of people out and about (or at least laying about drunk).... I guess it depends which way you look at it.

30TW is big for a townhouse, most are built on around 20TW of land (unless you get an end unit with garden at the side)...I don't see why this would make it a problem to re-sell?

There is no way you'll be able to buy land and build your own house for 1.5Million around Bangkok unless it's literally a shack in the jungle.

Edited by dave111223

My father in law recently purchased a new townhouse in Samut Prakan in a moobaan for 1.5M. 2 Floor, 3 (small) bedrooms. So i'm sure you can find similar in Pathum Thani.

It's worth noting that in these kind of budget moobaans you get "budget residents"....it would not surprise me if I went to visit my FIL one day and there were chickens running around the moobaan streets and industrial size oven chimneys coming around of his neighbors house. But there is also a strong sense of community as there are always lots of people out and about (or at least laying about drunk).... I guess it depends which way you look at it.

30TW is big for a townhouse, most are built on around 20TW of land (unless you get an end unit with garden at the side)...I don't see why this would make it a problem to re-sell?

There is no way you'll be able to buy land and build your own house for 1.5Million around Bangkok unless it's literally a shack in the jungle.

Love the bit about chimneys sticking out, so true.

One of the problems with these townhouses is, the parking space is never used for parking a car (which is parked in the street) its usually utilised for a business, breeding dogs for example, 6 or 8 of these yapping ankle biters barking non stop would drive me up the wall.

Another is privacy, you open your door straight onto the street, and the smells that go with it from the pad thai stall next door.

As for reselling they are building these type of house all over the place up that way, I can buy new for 1.5 million, why should I buy a 10 year old one for the same price?

I have seen Thai style houses up that way that cost about 6/700,000 baht to build, buy a piece of land for about 3 or 400,000 baht and it can be done.

Whats the rush to buy?

Very strange response.

Maybe I am offering the OP food for thought, giving him alternatives to ponder over.

In the last few years I, or should I say my wife has been offered 3 houses paid for by farangs living overseas, the girl just wants rid off the house, would rather have the money.

Nothing to do with me where she lives, but she must be living somewhere right now.

As for reselling they are building these type of house all over the place up that way, I can buy new for 1.5 million, why should I buy a 10 year old one for the same price?

I doubt you'll be able to buy that same new townhouse for 1.5M in 10 years. 10years ago you could buy similar places for 800-900K, not anymore.

I have seen Thai style houses up that way that cost about 6/700,000 baht to build, buy a piece of land for about 3 or 400,000 baht and it can be done.

How much land are you planning to get around Bangkok for 300-400K? You'd need at least 50TW to built a single detached house (considering a 2meter border is required around the building). That's 6K per TW...not likely, even in Pathum Thani with decent road access and water/electric available I doubt you find below 10-15K (especially on a small plot like that)

Like I said...a shack in the jungle (aka a nice "Thai style" house).

Edited by dave111223

On my gf's moo baan, 8-10 year old houses are still selling well. I know of three that have been sold in the last year, all for around 1.5 million. They cost around 1.1 million 8-10 years ago. Not a great profit, but still up. And people don't have any problems selling. Why do people buy these houses instead of the new ones for 1.5 million? Better location, walk to 7/11, Tesco Lotus, market, etc. The new ones I've seen are further out. May be other reason, but people are buying them. People like the moo baan, and there is good demand for it. Location is key. Good location = no problem selling.