Cycling On Samui? Places To Go - Safety Tips?

Hi y'all.

I've been asked to write a general article on cycling on Samui.

Any serious cyclists out there? Want to PM me to meet up over liquid refreshment and give me the gen on where to buy or rent a bike, what sorts are available, where to get them repaired (if not a DIY job), good routes on and off road, things to be aware of (apart from the obvious road perils!), hints, tips, advice etc?

Any cycling clubs or groups here want a local magazine feature?

Cheers, R

Edited by robsamui

Strewth Bruce - some of the uphills are so steep that my Caribbean is in first gear!

Maenam Soi One which goes all the way over the hills to Lamai near Buddies ( around 17km). Very steep in places though. Hardly any traffic. Concrete road all the way. Beautiful views. I only do it on a motorbike but often see cyclists on it.

post-4665-0-22830600-1361549041_thumb.jp

• Like 1

There are many people who cycle around the island, and as everydaysamesame, says Soi 1 is very popular with cyclists..(both Thais'and Farangs) ...... But too so are some of the other Sois'.... and for sscsamui to suggest only driving on sand roads its a bit blink.png duh!!!! ... .. yes fine, if it is moist, but dry sand is not easy to drive on and would be very dangerous. rolleyes.gif

There is a older guy (70's) that stays here in Maenam, for six months every year, I have seen him just about in every area of Samui... that's all he does every day. thumbsup.gif

Last week-end, I meet two people (tourists) in their late fifties, maybe early sixties, who had just ridden down here, from Chaing Rai, but too they have been around Vietnam, Laos etc.... ....next area is Malaysia..... Cycling is same as any kind of driving, and being aware of what's around you... thumbsup.gif

South west corner of the island has far less traffic and there are lots of interesting side roads to discover ....

As for KP, getting to the north end involves some steep climbs, but no worse than Soi One or Soi 5 on Samui. wink.png

As Rob lives near Angela's he should keep an eye out as he (Jimmys Byclist) often pops in for a pit stop:)

yep he likes his cuppa tea!

I sent a message to Rob to do that or I will flag the guy down, he's passes my place just about everyday! ..... and ask if he's interested to help! ! thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

Went onto their website and they are not doing themselves any favours. Under the "contact us" section there is a Google map of Lamai - that doesn't show where they are or mention them at all! There IS a mobile number though, but with no name attached. Guess I'll try the email address. Shame, as I'm in Lamai on Monday and I could have popped in. I wonder how many potential customers did what I did then thought sod it and gave up . . .

R

As Rob lives near Angela's he should keep an eye out as he (Jimmys Byclist) often pops in for a pit stop:)

yep he likes his cuppa tea!

I sent a message to Rob to do that or I will flag the guy down, he's passes my place just about everyday! ..... and ask if he's interested to help! ! thumbsup.gif

MSN-Emoticon-hawaii-165.gif Thanks Jimbo! Flag away! I've seen this chap also . . . if he's the one I'm thinking of he's very tall with silvery hair and rides a very tall bike too - like the pair of them have been pressed between two passing buildings . . . I'd like to have a chat with him - he's a genuine Samui character . . .

R

• Like 1

Just found out too that Samui is a regional and national centre for Thai mountain bike rallies! They come from all over the country to compete in a once-a-year festival - over 200 competitors from all over Thailand were here last year. But it's another one of these Thai things where they keep themselves to themselves - like the Carabao concerts, there's no publicity in English and us whities only get to know about it by word of mouth!

R

Useful info here Jim - just as viable to cycle on these routes than to run (except maybe the stadium . . . )

(ps - if you ever need a translation of Big C let me know. I got the hang of Big C-ian.)

R

ha ha ! I can usually decipher Big C's code wink.png

Your description of that grey haired cyclist sounds about right... but then there are many cyclists around both Thai and Farang...

There are so many side roads that many who live here obviously don't know.... even between Maenam and Ban Tai there is a road that parallels the Ring road, just about no traffic ...

Happened along there today.

IMG_7616.JPG

These are the types of roads to do on a bicycle w00t.gif Mind you this is a top of Soi Five, turning right to Nathon! .... most people would give up 100 metres at the start!

I even gave up on this one! But did manage another one the other day coming out at Auto Boy Nathon! (motorbike) wink.png

IMG_7654.JPG

But there are some fantastic views!

IMG_7625.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...