Greatest People Of The World

LaoPo

Such vehemence! No, you are wrong, I’m perfectly happy for people to disagree with me, and yes, I do respect other people’s opinion. So just who did I attack?

Look at your post! Look at the posts that repeatedly confuse Jesus with his ‘so-called’ followers. If you don’t agree with me, that’s just fine and dandy! I don’t care.

As for your point, “I guess that you're one of those born again Christians who is all smiles when everyone agrees with you and then gets out of his pram when they do not. Isn't that how the Spanish Inquisition started?”

Such assumptions! You guess wrong, I am not one of those born again Christians! And then you finish with the Spanish Inquisition, I guess you blame Jesus on this also.

Now practise what you preach and respect the right of others to hold views that you don't like.

Just to close, what was I resting my case on? Exactly what happened. Here's the quote for you to read again. "There you go, what did I say would happen, confusing Jesus with the 'various Christian churches'. I rest my case!"

So I was resting my case on what I said would happen! And it did!

Vehemence seems to be your trait rather than mine. However, I'm glad that you are happy with people to disagree with you and that you don't care either.

Christ may not have personally instigated the Spanish Inquisition (he was dead or ascended or something) but I don't recall reading that the Roman Catholic Church had denounced it at any time since - nor what it did in South America for that matter. Can one really pick and choose what is actually done in one's god's name and deny the rest? And is your god better than the next man's? That is how wars start, you know.

Anyway, enough of this pointless banter and back to the topic. I propose also Lord Buddha for creating a philosophy and a following that has caused no world wars. A human achievement that no god can claim.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyway, enough of this pointless banter and back to the topic. I propose also Lord Buddha for creating a philosophy and a following that has caused no world wars. A human achievement that no god can claim.

Support your idea(s), Morden!

LaoPo

Haven't read all 5 pages thus far in this thread but I'd definitely nominate Ronald Reagan as one of the Greatest People of the World. Perhaps he doesn't rank up there with Lord Buddha but within our lifetime, his accomplishments were significant.

I don't know him or hers name, but lets call him/her Moak. Moak was the first caveman to figure out how to make fire. From their contributions all that follows is with their help.

Study shows that they had shops already to buy ready-made-fire.... :o:D

LaoPo :D

Feynman__65.bmp ( 1.37mb ) Number of downloads: 14

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Feynman

the bad boy of physics. not just brilliant, but funny.

I have read "Surely, you're kidding Mr Feynman" - its a great read, a very funny and clever man to be sure - caused an uproar a Los Alamos when he cracked the safes hoding the atomic secrets and left a mystery calling card!

Someone blamed the invention of the Atom bomb on Einstein - while he propsed its possibilty, he never worked on it (the American Gov didn't trust him because he was connected with Germany or so the story goes - yeah, we all know its stupid given that he was a Jew and hated the Nazis, but there you go). Experts still maintain that the two bombs saved lives in the long run as it halted the war pretty quickly. The Vatican II (written by Pope John 23) condones the stockpiling and use of atomic bombs as a way of stopping wars and as acting as a deterent to war.

For example, do you know that now more than half of science and engineering professors at Birmingham University are Chinese? The Indians too are not far behind...

This is not necessarily due to them being better at the job, just that the wages are poor when put beside industry and such posts are hard to fill without the added attraction of a Visa/residency etc.

A lot of IT, Engineering (especially electronic) and scientific post grads start up their own businesses straight out of the Uni - look at Oxford, the place is swarming with little IT, biotech, engineering, etc companies split off from the University (and paying back into the University on a percentage basis) - as a Doctorate holder, do you live on a five figure teaching job, or a seven figure tech job attached to your beloved Uni?

Wolf....let me guess....are you Scottish? :o

LaoPo

William the Conqueror, Hannibal Barca, Hypatia Of Alexandria, Nikola Tesla, Srinivasa Ramanujan, Philip Emeagwali, Socrates, Marie Curie. Genghis Khan. Plato. Albert Einstein. Napoleon Bonaparte, Aristotle. Alexander Fleming. Robert E. Lee. Francis Bacon. Jonas Salk. Dwight D. Eisenhower, Rene Descartes. John Locke . Sophocles. Constantine the Great. Voltaire. Virgil. Charlemagne. Jean Jacques Rousseau. Dante Alighieri. Queen Elizabeth I. Adam Smith. Geoffrey Chaucer. Oliver Cromwell. Immanuel Kant. William Shakespeare. Benjamin Franklin. Karl Marx. John Milton. Catherine the Great . Friedrich Nietzsche . Charles Dickens. George Washington. George Eliot .Thomas Jefferson. Marco Polo . Leo Tolstoy. Abraham Lincoln. Christopher Columbus. Emily Dickinson. Vasco da Gama. Mark Twain . Mahatma Gandhi . Ferdinand Magellan . Winston Churchill. James Cook . Johann Sebastian Bach. Franklin D. Roosevelt. Roald Amundsen. George Frideric Handel. Martin Luther King, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Archimedes. Ludwig van Beethoven. Abraham . Johann Gutenberg. Frederic Chopin. Moses. Eli Whitney . Richard Wagner . Lao Tzu. Thomas Edison . Johannes Brahms. Buddha . Alexander Graham Bell. Peter Tchaikovsky. Confucius,Henry Ford . Claude Debussy. Jesus Christ . The Wright Brothers. The Apostle Paul . Guglielmo Marconi . Leonardo da Vinci. Saint Augustine . Raphael . Muhammad . Galen. Michelangelo. Thomas Aquinas , Nicolaus Copernicus. Rembrandt . Galileo. Claude Monet. John Calvin. Issac Newton.Vincent van Gogh. Joseph Smith. Charles Darwin. Pablo Picasso, Louis Pasteur. Gregor Mendel. Alexander the Great , Alexei Leonov , Sawasdi Horrungruang, Walt Disney, Elvis, Ho Chi Minh, Homer.

Impressive list (and I agree with quite a few of them).....but why? and where did you find the bag of names :D

Also: interesting to see you added a few names of great painters, like:

Rembrandt (van Rijn)

He was (just...) a painter, but Michelangelo was an allround artist, not just painter but did also famous sculptures, designed buildings etc.

:D They have all influenced my life. :D

Tom Jones too! :D

Wolf....let me guess....are you Scottish? :D

LaoPo

William the Conqueror, Hannibal Barca, Hypatia Of Alexandria, Nikola Tesla, Srinivasa Ramanujan, Philip Emeagwali, Socrates, Marie Curie. Genghis Khan. Plato. Albert Einstein. Napoleon Bonaparte, Aristotle. Alexander Fleming. Robert E. Lee. Francis Bacon. Jonas Salk. Dwight D. Eisenhower, Rene Descartes. John Locke . Sophocles. Constantine the Great. Voltaire. Virgil. Charlemagne. Jean Jacques Rousseau. Dante Alighieri. Queen Elizabeth I. Adam Smith. Geoffrey Chaucer. Oliver Cromwell. Immanuel Kant. William Shakespeare. Benjamin Franklin. Karl Marx. John Milton. Catherine the Great . Friedrich Nietzsche . Charles Dickens. George Washington. George Eliot .Thomas Jefferson. Marco Polo . Leo Tolstoy. Abraham Lincoln. Christopher Columbus. Emily Dickinson. Vasco da Gama. Mark Twain . Mahatma Gandhi . Ferdinand Magellan . Winston Churchill. James Cook . Johann Sebastian Bach. Franklin D. Roosevelt. Roald Amundsen. George Frideric Handel. Martin Luther King, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Archimedes. Ludwig van Beethoven. Abraham . Johann Gutenberg. Frederic Chopin. Moses. Eli Whitney . Richard Wagner . Lao Tzu. Thomas Edison . Johannes Brahms. Buddha . Alexander Graham Bell. Peter Tchaikovsky. Confucius,Henry Ford . Claude Debussy. Jesus Christ . The Wright Brothers. The Apostle Paul . Guglielmo Marconi . Leonardo da Vinci. Saint Augustine . Raphael . Muhammad . Galen. Michelangelo. Thomas Aquinas , Nicolaus Copernicus. Rembrandt . Galileo. Claude Monet. John Calvin. Issac Newton.Vincent van Gogh. Joseph Smith. Charles Darwin. Pablo Picasso, Louis Pasteur. Gregor Mendel. Alexander the Great , Alexei Leonov , Sawasdi Horrungruang, Walt Disney, Elvis, Ho Chi Minh, Homer.

Impressive list (and I agree with quite a few of them).....but why? and where did you find the bag of names :D

Also: interesting to see you added a few names of great painters, like:

Rembrandt (van Rijn)

He was (just...) a painter, but Michelangelo was an allround artist, not just painter but did also famous sculptures, designed buildings etc.

:DThey have all influenced my life. :D

That's amazing and interesting!

I wonder how all of these people could have influenced your life;

people like

*Hannibal :o

*Napoleon

*Queen Elizabeth I

*Columbus

and many others

LaoPo

I wonder how all of these people could have influenced your life;

people like

*Hannibal :o

*Napoleon

*Queen Elizabeth I

*Columbus

and many others

LaoPo[/color]

I would imagine that well-known historical figures like these have all influenced most of our lives, but in small ways that we can't pinpoint. :D

Forget about Einstein, all he did was invent a bomb that killed a ton of people. I vote for Billy Gates

That is a really stupid thing to say and shows a seriuos lack of knowledge considering Einstein, his work, and WWII.

Such vehemence! No, you are wrong, I’m perfectly happy for people to disagree with me, and yes, I do respect other people’s opinion. So just who did I attack?

Look at your post! Look at the posts that repeatedly confuse Jesus with his ‘so-called’ followers. If you don’t agree with me, that’s just fine and dandy! I don’t care.

As for your point, “I guess that you're one of those born again Christians who is all smiles when everyone agrees with you and then gets out of his pram when they do not. Isn't that how the Spanish Inquisition started?”

Such assumptions! You guess wrong, I am not one of those born again Christians! And then you finish with the Spanish Inquisition, I guess you blame Jesus on this also.

Now practise what you preach and respect the right of others to hold views that you don't like.

Just to close, what was I resting my case on? Exactly what happened. Here's the quote for you to read again. "There you go, what did I say would happen, confusing Jesus with the 'various Christian churches'. I rest my case!"

So I was resting my case on what I said would happen! And it did!

Vehemence seems to be your trait rather than mine. However, I'm glad that you are happy with people to disagree with you and that you don't care either.

Christ may not have personally instigated the Spanish Inquisition (he was dead or ascended or something) but I don't recall reading that the Roman Catholic Church had denounced it at any time since - nor what it did in South America for that matter. Can one really pick and choose what is actually done in one's god's name and deny the rest? And is your god better than the next man's? That is how wars start, you know.

Okay, you are gonna sack on Suegha for listed JC yet many and people and now you are mentioning Buddha. Leave Buddha out of this. You are being just as close minded and hateful, something Buddha would say goes against the 8 fold path, hypocritical I think. You gotta a problem with Chirstianity fine, so do I, but there is a diference between the people and the church.

I am so sick you of people like you looking to pick fight all the time. :o

Okay, you are gonna sack on Suegha for listed JC yet many and people and now you are mentioning Buddha. Leave Buddha out of this. You are being just as close minded and hateful, something Buddha would say goes against the 8 fold path, hypocritical I think. You gotta a problem with Chirstianity fine, so do I, but there is a diference between the people and the church.

I am so sick you of people like you looking to pick fight all the time. :o

You might consider reviewing your signature!

You have no right to tell me what I might say or believe. If I think that Lord Buddha was a great mind I shall say so. And what gives you the right to think that you can judge me when Buddha would not?

If you care to join the ranks of those who actually read the posts, you will see that my original reference to Jesus was actually a gibe at Blair and Bush who claim to be engaged in a holy war. It was Suega who wanted to make Jesus an issue so I then gave my view on what the followers of Jesus had done to the world. I went on to suggest that their activities pushed him well down my list. I also suggested someone whom I feel is a better candidate and gave my reasons. I could have gone into much more detail but some of my posts are too long as it is. As far as I'm concerned there's no fight but your attitude reminds me of people who look for fights.

If you also join the ranks of those who think after they have read the posts before writing their own, you will also realise that we just may share similar views on organised christianity. I have not denounced the teachings of Jesus and neither have I said whether I agree with them. I may even know more about his teachings than do you.

In post #53 I wrote this:

"""

May I suggest that we leave a 'Religious' discussion out of this topic, please?

"""

Before we realize this topic is 'killed' with a deep and endless discussion about religion.

Religion is something private and of all times. We all have been born with or without a specific religion (or not) given to us by our parents by birth, right or wrong.

Religion created big wars untill this very day. We just have to look at the discussions about the Islam elsewhere on TV.

I kindly suggest we leave 'religion' as such out of this topic, although I'm not a moderator of course.

LaoPo

In reply to LaoPo:

Hannibal Barca and Napoleon helped me in war simulation scenarios.

Queen Elizabeth I “All my possessions for a moment of time.”

Columbus for a case study on celestial navigation or "deduced" (or "dead") reckoning

Others have their reasons too! :o

...we just may share similar views on organised christianity.

Let try to leave this discussion on a positive note.

We, all three of us, may just share similar views on organised christianity!

I also agree with Lao Po, this is not a thread for religious discussion. So let's say 'thanks all' for contributing and move on.

Be happy :o

I also agree with Lao Po, this is not a thread for religious discussion. So let's say 'thanks all' for contributing and move on.

Be happy :o

Thanks, Suega, I hope 'Morden' and 'Thaibebop' will agree as well :D

LaoPo

Be happy :D

oh where should we move on to,i need guidance as i have now made up my new religion with you at its head! :o

U Thant

Maha Thray Sithu U Thant (January 22, 1909 – November 25, 1974) was a Burmese diplomat and the third Secretary-General of the United Nations, from 1961 to 1971. He was chosen for the post when the then Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjöld was killed in an air crash in September 1961. To date, he is the only Asian to have served as UN Secretary-General.

source: Wikipedia

BTW...there is a very good chance the UN will have another Asian Secretary-General (3 options; 1 South Korean, 1 East Timor and 1 Thai candidate), to be elected this summer.

LaoPo

One of my all time favourites. He could exceed in everything: painting, anatomy, engineering, etc.

Leonardo Da Vinci

post-27262-1141995044_thumb.jpg

I fully agree. Leonardo da Vinci was not just an artist...he was a Genius far ahead in the future during his time in the 15th/16th century!

Amazing!

LaoPo

oh where should we move on to,i need guidance as i have now made up my new religion with you at its head! :o

Ooh, I'm flattered, but also unworthy :D

Thanks, Suega, I hope 'Morden' and 'Thaibebop' will agree as well :D

LaoPo

Without reservation. When we listen to each other we so often find that we are in agreement. Thanks LaoPo. :o