Dengue Fever Situation In Thailand Expected To Worsen This Year

webfact

is it "Permethrin"?....or DDT even?

If it is DDT they are dead mosquitoes for sure. When I was a boy they would come around every spring and spray inside the house with DDT. No mosquitoes, flies or any other bugs for two months. Then they had to go and ban it.

THere seems to be a lot of information that criticises DDT - especially as the insects seem to become resistant. It also fares badly in comparison with other methods such as treated mozzie nets.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it "Permethrin"?....or DDT even?

If it is DDT they are dead mosquitoes for sure. When I was a boy they would come around every spring and spray inside the house with DDT. No mosquitoes, flies or any other bugs for two months. Then they had to go and ban it.

THere seems to be a lot of information that criticises DDT - especially as the insects seem to become resistant. It also fares badly in comparison with other methods such as treated mozzie nets.

I agree with your information but back in 1950 that's all there was.

A simple natural cure is papaya leaves crushed and juiced. Tastes horrible but they work. Juice the leaves and take for a week - all gone.

Or don't take the leaves and after one week....Gone.

Basically Dengue lasts for about a week anyway - (So many quack medicines rely on the patient recovering natually themselves and then claim to have had a hand in it!)

Although GM is not a "final solution" it will prevent thousands of people from getting sick.

probably - have you read any trials?

THe fight against Mozzies has to be multi-faceted, and often the simple lo-tech solutions such as education and mozzie nets are overlooked. i even read of a system for spraying ponds with an egg powder - this changes the surface tension characteristics and prevents the larvae from hatching out from the water. It is of course bio-degradable and ion toxic.

The problem with GM is that as soon as you raise the spectre of anything genetically modified being released uncontrolled into the environment then you have an immediate public outcry. There have been suggestions that these modified genes have been found to linger on in the mozzie population despite the claims that they are programmed to die out.

The cost - to society the nation and family, the amount of man-hours etc lost through poor public health is a topic that the Thai authorities seem in general to e oblivious to......road safety , Dengue and many other sources are put on the back-burner here largely it would seem due to ignorance in the corridors of power.

Genetic elimination of dengue vector mosquitoes.

http://www.pnas.org/content/108/12/4772.full.pdf+html

As I said earlier this document does not refer to the problem of the genes lingering on.

As I understand it, if the female mosquito can't breed because of genetic modification, the defect gene will die out by itself.

I have had it twice in the last 3 years in Chiang Mai. How much worse can it get ??

Hey man you need to be careful. There are 5 strains of dengue and catching one brings immunity TO THAT ONE. However there is a cumulative effect and it makes catching the next one more serious. The third often kills...........

A simple natural cure is papaya leaves crushed and juiced. Tastes horrible but they work. Juice the leaves and take for a week - all gone.

Basically Dengue lasts for about a week anyway - (So many quack medicines rely on the patient recovering natually themselves and then claim to have had a hand in it!)

A good doctor will proscribe drink lots of water and take paracetemol ( not nurophen as NSAIDS thin the blood)

I have had it twice in the last 3 years in Chiang Mai. How much worse can it get ??

Hey man you need to be careful. There are 5 strains of dengue and catching one brings immunity TO THAT ONE. However there is a cumulative effect and it makes catching the next one more serious. The third often kills...........

Thanks for your concern. Where did you get your info from ? I know that there are 4 strains and as for the cumulative effect. I have never heard that one.

I think this is overstating the case, firstly I think there are only 4 strains and secondly as I understand it, the link between subsequent infections and an increasing severity is not satisfactorily proven

• Like 1

Thanks for your concern. Where did you get your info from ? I know that there are 4 strains and as for the cumulative effect. I have never heard that one.

If you want to find out about the link to accumulative effects, try searching for information on the vaccines as this is connected to inoculation problems.

It was not just one person doing the spraying.The fog was belching out of the back of a lorry and engulfing the whole area like a tidal wave. Tourists should be made aware.Maybe,the monks forgot to pass the message on.

Also, if Buddists(who I love) are against killing all living things, why do they agree to kill the mosquito?

As a Chistian I would like to see all mosquitos wiped off the face of the earth even though they are only"carriers".

Its the chemical that kills the mossies, not the people

• Like 1

there are 4 strains and it is suggested that it gets worse each time - so be careful.

I have been told that also. However I found that the second time was not quite as horrendous as the first. Maybe it depends on the strain ???? It might be that if you get the same strain again it is worse but I am not sure. Bloody horrible no matter how you look at it. And thanks for the advice. I will try to be more careful that is for sure. Mosquitos seem to enjoy my blood for some reason. sad.png

• Like 2

If you want to find out about the link to accumulative effects, try searching for information on the vaccines as this is connected to inoculation problems.

Thanks Wilcopops. I will indeed have a look at that. Cheers.

Here's a quote from the BBC...

"The released GM mosquitoes can breed due to the presence in the lab of the antibiotic tetracycline - which is used in agriculture and found in some meat - which stops the protein from working.

Eric Hoffman, a biotechnology campaigner for Friends of the Earth in the US, says that if tetracycline is present in the wild the offspring of GM mosquitoes could survive and breed.

Mr Parry says his company's GM mosquitoes have been shown to be safe and that it would not introduce them where tetracycline exists in the environment. "We created this strain of mosquito more than 10 years ago now. You do a lot of internal testing in labs in a contained environment even before going to an outside environment," he says."

A good doctor will proscribe drink lots of water and take paracetemol ( not nurophen as NSAIDS thin the blood)

Good doctor?

Any doctor should know what to prescribe.

The thing is to get conformation that you actually HAVE Dengue fever. Many people don't notiv=ce it and put it down to a bout od flu .....others seem to attribute the name Dengue to any fever they happen to get.

I believe a blood test will show for sure, then at least you can become oe of the known statistics and help researchers find out exactly how many really are getting the disease.

Aspirin is a definite NO!

Edited by wilcopops

Yes a good doctor should though I gotta say I was shocked when on my return to Australia I told my doc that I'd had dengue and he pulls out his Oxford Medical Dictionary (because he'd never met anyone with it before) and reads out "treat with Aspirin." I told him it is the last thing one should take.

They used to come around every year with foggers and kill the mosquitoes but it stopped about four years ago. I suppose the local kamnan decided he had a better use for the funds. Interestingly enough he is a local farmer and he just finished building a 6 million baht house. I need to take up farming.

Actually the farmers don't want their fighting chickens killed by the foggers. Got one of those snake pits about 400 meters away from me and with all the village muckety mucks there every day. It already has been forgotten about.

They used to come around every year with foggers and kill the mosquitoes but it stopped about four years ago. I suppose the local kamnan decided he had a better use for the funds. Interestingly enough he is a local farmer and he just finished building a 6 million baht house. I need to take up farming.

Actually the farmers don't want their fighting chickens killed by the foggers. Got one of those snake pits about 400 meters away from me and with all the village muckety mucks there every day. It already has been forgotten about.

Mossie fogging kills chickens?

An earlier post stated that the biomass of mossies is a necessary thing but it was Man that introduced this particular mossy to many parts of the world.

It makes sense to me that Man should take care of his mistake and fix it.

Would I be right in thinking that all vulnerable areas, world wide, that could continue to transport the larvae are routinely sprayed?

If not, why not?

If there is a continuing resupply of larvae, all local measures will be ineffective.

Sounds like a project for the WHO.

An earlier post stated that the biomass of mossies is a necessary thing but it was Man that introduced this particular mossy to many parts of the world.

Would I be right in thinking that all vulnerable areas, world wide, that could continue to transport the larvae are routinely sprayed?

If not, why not?

If there is a continuing resupply of larvae, all local measures will be ineffective.

Here's an org, but not particularly in Asia.

http://www.rollbackmalaria.org/globaladvocacy/mediacentre.html

Man is responsible largely for creating an environment in which the mozzie thrives - the Aedes mozzies loves towns etc with a bit of water lying around. THis particular mozzie has now spread to Europe and I believe the States.

as said before spraying alone is not the solution.

If not, why not?

Man is responsible largely for creating an environment in which the mozzie thrives - the Aedes mozzies loves towns etc with a bit of water lying around. THis particular mozzie has now spread to Europe and I believe the States.

Thanks, I read the article but to be honest, it rather sounded like Peter Sellars Political Speech.

A lot of talk but nothing said:-

... My friends, in the light of present-day developments let me say right away that I do not regard existing conditions likely. On the contrary, I have always regarded them as subjects of the gravest responsibility and shall ever continue to do so. Indeed, I will go further and state quite categorically that I am more than sensible of the (exact) definition of the precise issues which are at this very moment concerning us all. We must build, but we must build surely. Hear, hear!

- Let me say just this: If any part of what I am saying is challenged, then I am more than ready to meet such a challenge. For I have no doubt whatsoever that whatever I may have said in the past, or what I am saying now, is the exact, literal and absolute truth as to the state (?) of the case. - Hear, hear!

-I put it to you that this is not the time for vague promises of better things to come. For, if I were to convey to you a spirit of false optimism, then I should be neither fair to you nor true to myself. But does this mean, I hear you cry, that we can no longer look forward to the future that is to come?

Certainly not! Voice from the audience: What about the workers?

“What about the workers?”; indeed sir! Grasp, I beseech you, with both hands [Aside: I’m so sorry, I beg your pardon, madam.] the opportunities that are offered. Let us assume a bold front and go forward together. Let us carry the fight [noise of a blow being struck] against ignorance to the four corners of the earth because it is a fight which concerns us all. Now, finally my friends, in conclusion, let me say just this: [bIG SILENCE !!!]

Peter Sellers

If not, why not?

Thanks, I read the article but to be honest, it rather sounded like Peter Sellars Political Speech.

... My friends, in the light of present-day developments let me say right away that I do not regard existing conditions likely. On the contrary, I have always regarded them as subjects of the gravest responsibility and shall ever continue to do so. Indeed, I will go further and state quite categorically that I am more than sensible of the (exact) definition of the precise issues which are at this very moment concerning us all. We must build, but we must build surely. Hear, hear!

- Let me say just this: If any part of what I am saying is challenged, then I am more than ready to meet such a challenge. For I have no doubt whatsoever that whatever I may have said in the past, or what I am saying now, is the exact, literal and absolute truth as to the state (?) of the case. - Hear, hear!

-I put it to you that this is not the time for vague promises of better things to come. For, if I were to convey to you a spirit of false optimism, then I should be neither fair to you nor true to myself. But does this mean, I hear you cry, that we can no longer look forward to the future that is to come?

“What about the workers?”; indeed sir! Grasp, I beseech you, with both hands [Aside: I’m so sorry, I beg your pardon, madam.] the opportunities that are offered. Let us assume a bold front and go forward together. Let us carry the fight [noise of a blow being struck] against ignorance to the four corners of the earth because it is a fight which concerns us all. Now, finally my friends, in conclusion, let me say just this: [bIG SILENCE !!!]

Peter Sellers

...and your point being? Politics will have to play a role in the fight against Dengue and orgs like the above try to organise the work...this takes money and to get it you have to play the game.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

If not, why not?

Peter Sellers

...and your point being? Politics will have to play a role in the fight against Dengue and orgs like the above try to organise the work...this takes money and to get it you have to play the game.

The org seemed to have: A lot of talk but nothing said:-

I do not knock them but this is something that cannot be talked away.

Dengue fever is now the fastest spreading insect-borne virus. It has reached “epidemic potential,” the World Health Organization says.

in fact that's why I suggested it would need the World Health Organisation to get a project going.

On the WHO website, they describe Dengue but they don't appear to be heading any initiative to get rid of it.

http://www.who.int/topics/dengue/en/

Edited by laislica

Here is a link that gives a lot of info about the disease, it's not a scientific paper but......

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/01/16/dengue_fever_racing_around_the_world_who.html

According to Dr. Raman Velayudhan, a WHO scientist specializing in neglected tropical diseases, two main factors have contributed to dengue’s rapid rise: urbanization and the spread of mosquitoes, aided by spreading transportation networks.

“The mosquitoes are spreading all over silently,” Velayudhan said. “They are there in many places and just waiting for an infected human to come by.”

Here is something I found on "fogging" in Malaysia...don't think they do any of this in Thailand?

FOGGING ACTIVITIES

Fogging activities are carried out as soon as a suspected case of dengue is notified to the health authority. For a single case of dengue, perifocal fogging 200m around the patient's house using the portable thermal fogging is carried out. For outbreak situation, ULV fogging is used to cover the whole locality.

During dengue outbreak, the first adulticidal treatment is normally followed by a second application 7-10 days later. The two treatment cycle is based on the life-cycle of the Aedes mosquitoes and the incubation period of the virus in the mosquito. The outbreak is declared as over once it has been possible to achieve a 20 day transmission-free period.

The insecticide of choice for fogging is malathion in fuel oil for thermal fogging and 96% malathion technical garde for ULV. Air-borne bioassay tests are conducted regular- ly and to date, there is no indication of resistance developing to the insecticide by the Aedes mosquitoes.

A-numberof problems are encountered in fogging activities, including the follow-

ing:

1. Some houseowners tend to close the doors and windows during fogging which will

reduce the effectiveness of the spray droplets reaching the target mosquitoes.

2. The difficulty of achieving total coverage of all houses and in carrying out second

fogging within 7-10 days duration after the first round.

3. The use of new synthetic pyrethroid insecticides for fogging which are not effective in

controlling outbreaks.

4. Private pest control operators conducting fogging without adequate supervision.