Vhs Tapes

vickersvc10

Use it as a rope substitute to build your raft is in the Tom Hanks movie Castaway.

The expat clubs used to do video swaps...

VHS didn't take off in Thailand so very few machines to play then on, and its now ancient technology, probly best to throw em.

How do you transfer VHS to DVD? Wanted to do that for a long time but haven't found a shop that has the equipment. Edh

There were machines on the market a few years ago . I have a LG one in Oz but the copy (DVD) was only as good as the VHS tape and there was a lot of stuffing about and often the DVD didn't play in every DVD machine depending on the settings . I have not seen one of the machines on sale for a few years now.

They do this (vhs to digital) in Pantip Plaza Chiang Mai. Maybe you could check at your local Panthip or Pantip in Bangkok.

Thanks. I'm in Pattaya area, so I guess Bangkok would be my option.

VHS was huge in Thailand! They had little rental copy tape shops everywhere and selling them all over!

I'll bet the constant high heat and humidity of this climate made them sticky.

VHS used to be as popular as DVDs are now. All the latest movies of the time were available. Quality was mostly OK, same as with DVDs now.

VHS into DVD is available (Pantip in Bangkok for sure), but it isn't cheap, so if you have many tapes you may want to choose the special ones carefully and if they are just old movies it may be worth trying to find them in DVD format.

All you need is a PC with a capture card. You plug the vhs tape player to the capture card and record the movie on the pc. Then you can convert it to any format, burn it to DVD etc.. Takes time getting the right setup and software but can be done.

• Like 1

VHS was huge in Thailand! They had little rental copy tape shops everywhere and selling them all over!

VHS used to be as popular as DVDs are now. All the latest movies of the time were available. Quality was mostly OK, same as with DVDs now.

VHS into DVD is available (Pantip in Bangkok for sure), but it isn't cheap, so if you have many tapes you may want to choose the special ones carefully and if they are just old movies it may be worth trying to find them in DVD format.

I think he only wants to put old "stuff to use. He seems to have done his transfers.

" My question is, how shall I get rid of the unwanted tapes? I hate to just throw stuff in the rubbish bin. Any ideas folks?"

I say let the rubbish bin have it or find out about recycling if possible. Some things really just have no further value

I think he only wants to put old "stuff to use. He seems to have done his transfers.

" My question is, how shall I get rid of the unwanted tapes? I hate to just throw stuff in the rubbish bin. Any ideas folks?"

I say let the rubbish bin have it or find out about recycling if possible. Some things really just have no further value

Don't stress - just throw it in the garbage. Garbage scavengers will soon take it out if it is of any use to anyone and the garbage collectors sort through it as well.

Used to be a place in Duck Square next to Big C, just as you drive in of Pattaya Tai, on the right about 2 shops in, VHS to DVD - but it was 800 Baht each!!!

Thanks Lenny, I will have a look and see if it is still there. Only two tapes that I need to transfer to DVD, so the 800 baht is no issue.

Edh