Lao Khao

syd barrett

What is Lao Khao, I have seen it, tasted it and it is cheap. What percentage alcohol is it? Is it true if you drink it for a long time you stop eating and die of multiple organ failure? Is there any quality control? Do only poor people drink it? Do you like it? Can I enjoy this stuff without it killing me?

Mysterious colourless liquid can I ever drink this stuff?

Why different coloured labels? 65 baht for 650 ml is good value?

SYD, lao khao is home brew, moonshine,squeezins, whatever you want to call it. Thais make it all over the country, some better than others. :D It's still rot gut, that's why it's so cheap. It's best to stick with the stuff thats got a government stamp on it but in this country that doesn't mean that much anyway (they forge all kinds of things here). :o It's mostly drinkable but I don't like it and I've got the money to buy better stuff to drink. :D The different colored labels is just who made it and as far as good value, spend a little more, your head will thank you! All in all, give it a go, I don't think it will KILL you, didn't kill me! :D

It is OK to drink sometimes but do not make it your 'usual'

Quality varies greatly.

Some folks put insecticide in the mash to keep the bugs off.

The head comes out at 70percent and keeps dropping until you stop collecting. The final mix is about 50 percent for the illegal stuff and 35-40 for the legal stuff.

The illegal stuff sells for 20 baht bottle

They make it with sticky rice. I have seen earthenware jars full of sticky rice and covered with a sprinkling of home made yeast.......it sits in the sun for a day or so...not sure how long and then it gets steamed after it has fermented a bit. The steaming process is usually in a 44 gallon drum.....not sure what was inthe drums before...... and a basic drip distill method of brewing.

I think they are making a legal brand called Sato nowadays....never tried it but it's in the Tesco near the office. Cheap <deleted> basically but ok once ina while for s session . I got smashed on it in Laos at a wedding one time and got lost walking home in a dark village. Ended up sitting looking over the mekong by moonlight until dawn and soberness caught up.

Lao Khao, also known in certain parts of the US as white lightning. Don't know anyone who has died drinking this stuff long-term but then everyone I know who drinks it is Thai and has it for breakfast to keep the shakes off. Not sure you want to go down that road!

It helps if you know and trust the maker of the brew. I have heard that some makers' brews (either intentionally or unintentionally) will contain toxic additives (what exactly I don't know). Also it should be noted that production is illegal without a license, and I'm not sure about transportation and consumption.

Chuck

My Thai bro in law makes the shit,he works the sticky rice or corn off in big thai jars using shallow well water that I would imagine is mostly sewerage as the well is just a few feet from his cesspool and about the same depth,and his still is all stainless and so are his cook pots,so no danger there,and the stuff is cooked,worked off and then distilled so the bacteria should be dead,and he has a govt. license and the stuff is 50 baht a bottle,which are old beer bottles with his label on them and capped with rip off caps.I do not drink so haven't had the thrill of tasting it,but it smells like fingernail polish remover to me.and it must work because I know of two marriages and one bank acct. it has removed.I had some pics in the gallery,I don't know if they are still there.