Blackout Of 2 Hours Imminent On April 5 If Energy Supply Is Critical: Thailand

webfact

Ok, question for you electrical engineers, power plant techies and the like; I get the part where rolling blackouts and brownouts can damage electrical equipment. What happens to locations with fragile infrastructure and that are consuming at a system's full capacity? Example is Patong, the place often suffers blackouts in high season. If there is a reduction in supply and no one reduces use, would this cause the power grid itself to incur serious damage? How about koh samui with its limited power supply? Would this have a ripple effect?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start in Issan with all the red villages and blame the PTP government and not the Democrats for a change.

Now THAT is a good idea. But, of course, will never happen. Bangkok now is probably the primary target for power cuts, seeing as how PT lost the governers race. Time for payback.

Highly unlikely. Do you honestly think the MPs and senators are going to accept being inconvenienced? The corporate heartland and prime areas of silom & sukhumvit cannot go dark.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

"However, if the energy supply does not reach the critical level, they will just consider lowering general voltage."

Really ? I wonder who writes these "News" ... did they actually finish high-school ?

Well, to be fair, graduating high school in Thailand is like finishing the 6th or 7th grade elsewhere, and that is being generous.

I find this little scary, for a number of reasons

1. If there was a dispute or something like that, Thailand will be without power, why not have a number of different suppliers or even better build your own

2. Thailand has been made aware of the works, and yet has done very little to avoid black outs

3. Thailand has reserves, which were talked about no so long ago, yet they still will do the black outs.

4. If they plan(which seems sure) to have the black outs, why not make time and date and announcement, so may be factories will shut earlier, people will prepare torches, hotels will advise the guests and so on.

Why is it always such a mess with too many may be's what if's and so on, why not just make a plan and stick to it

Ban all worthless, needless, mobile devices for a week. Not only would that save enuf lekky, saddos with "smart" phones and dumb brains could have time to attempt to get their personalities back.

Luddite !

totster laugh.png

If a Luddite actually talks to people and has a life outside of a screen, I am happy to be one.

Funny to see ppl caring about energy consumption who spend half their lives on dumb phones and drive cars!

As for me as a luddite; how can I be 1? I'm on a computer, duh!

BTw, me motocy does 65 kpl and me lekky bill was 832 baht last month.

Luddite? No!

Just someone who thinks, not someone who consumes.

Keep it going and you'll hear about my farm.

Ban all worthless, needless, mobile devices for a week. Not only would that save enuf lekky, saddos with "smart" phones and dumb brains could have time to attempt to get their personalities back.

Luddite !

totster laugh.png

If a Luddite actually talks to people and has a life outside of a screen, I am happy to be one.

Funny to see ppl caring about energy consumption who spend half their lives on dumb phones and drive cars!

Luddite? No!

Every time i read any of your posts, for some unknown reason i feel dumber.blink.png

This is really nothing new to me as blackouts are a regular weekly occurrence since the installation of a new sub-station and cabling in my area.

And don't get me started about the number of times the water supply is turned off.

Mobile phone operators are heavily fined for minor interruption in their service while public facilities get off scott free.

If the gas is off from 5 to 13 April, how will a 2 hour blackout on 5 April help? Sounds like Charlem was involved in this decision.

The 5th is the Friday before the start of the Songkran break. A lot of businesses (particularly factories) will be closed the following week leading up to Songkran on the 13th (and the public holidays for a couple of days before).

right you are! it's these mobile devices which use up most of the precious power needed for airconditioning. and then there are the brigth brains which drain and lower the public grid's amps and voltage when they promote harebrained solutions.

whistling.gif

Remember this story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/621973-emergency-plan-ready-for-thailands-april-power-crisis/?

They said they had an eight point contingency plan and didn't elaborate on what it is. Well, we know step one now.

8 points

1) have some blackouts

2) forget about it and hope it goes away.

3) grab as much public money now and resign before the situation gets too hot.

4) blame someone else

5) move to Dubai

6) 7) 8) add your own choices

• Like 2

gonna buy a generator for my fridge.

Can't exist without cold beer and steak

If you have a deep freeze you can take water bottles add salt, freeze them and when the electric goes out you put some in the fridge. Ice needs a lot heat to melt and with salt the melting temperature is below 0 zero. Should help for a couple of hours....

UPDATE

3 power generating giants allay fear of April power blackout
By English News

BANGKOK, Mar 6 – Thailand’s three core electricity generating agencies have given assurances that the country will be spared from power blackouts during the maintenance of a natural gas platform in Myanmar during April 5-14.

The Yanada platform in the neighbouring country supplies natural gas to the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) for its power production.

EGAT deputy governor Thana Putarungsi said after meeting with executives of the Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) and the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) yesterday that power voltage may be lower in some Bangkok and suburban areas during April 5-14 but it will not be below standard level.

“With close cooperation among the three agencies, we believe we will overcome the crisis,” he said. “However, we have to explain to three major consumer groups: households, industrial and business sectors.”

He said boosting power reserves will be possible if total consumption is lower than 26,300 megawatts (MW), adding that power reserves on April 5 will be at 1,291 MW, from the normal 767 MW, thanks to reduced consumption by the private sector.

Thailand will have to purchase 200 MW of power from Malaysia, he said, reassuring that power outage will be avoided at industrial estates.

In a worst case scenario, houses in Bangkok’s outskirts will be hit by a blackout for only a few hours, he said, adding that electricity reserves will be increased to over 1,500 MW if people and factories use less power during the peak periods of 1-3 pm and 6.30-9 pm, Mr Thana said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-03-06

Remember this story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/621973-emergency-plan-ready-for-thailands-april-power-crisis/?

They said they had an eight point contingency plan and didn't elaborate on what it is. Well, we know step one now.

8 points

1) have some blackouts

4) blame someone else

5) move to Dubai

Couldn't have said it better myself!

8 points

1) have some blackouts

4) blame someone else

5) move to Dubai

6) blame the Democrats for it or the elites.
  • Like 1

8 points

1) have some blackouts

4) blame someone else

5) move to Dubai

6) blame the Democrats for it or the elites.

7) Blame the invisible hand.

• Like 1

Luddite !

totster laugh.png

Luddite? No!

Every time i read any of your posts, for some unknown reason i feel dumber.blink.png

Glad to hear that some people are becoming aware of their stupid, amti-social, unsustainable habits.

And the spelling is "tosser.' Understand why you feel dumb now?

Well as we frequently have power cuts at the weekend anyway lasting from 2-6 hrs, when some pissed up bloke face plants on his motorbike or car into an electric power pole then a 2 hr cut will be both a luxury and at least predictable. Just tell everyone what time their two hour power cut will be and there will be no drama's at all.

• Like 1

If the extent of damage here really is a nation wide two hour power cut, I just do not see what the drama is. All each province has to do is establish what is totally necessary and chop everything else. I had cause to spend the weekend in hospital as my wife was extremely sick. During my stay in the room I witnessed the hospital cut power to all departments and provide generator power to essential areas. Whilst that was ongoing, electricians and maintenance guys ran around the entire hospital and checked every single plug socket and power outlet and put a coloured sticker on the wall next to the socket which indicated the status of the socket during the 'power cut'. I asked the nurse what was going on and she said they were just making sure that they were going to be in an operational condition should there be any power cuts in April. Impressed? Hell.......I could not believe I was sat in Thailand for a while, big thumbs up, I was pleasantly speechless!

• Like 1

If the extent of damage here really is a nation wide two hour power cut, I just do not see what the drama is. All each province has to do is establish what is totally necessary and chop everything else. I had cause to spend the weekend in hospital as my wife was extremely sick. During my stay in the room I witnessed the hospital cut power to all departments and provide generator power to essential areas. Whilst that was ongoing, electricians and maintenance guys ran around the entire hospital and checked every single plug socket and power outlet and put a coloured sticker on the wall next to the socket which indicated the status of the socket during the 'power cut'. I asked the nurse what was going on and she said they were just making sure that they were going to be in an operational condition should there be any power cuts in April. Impressed? Hell.......I could not believe I was sat in Thailand for a while, big thumbs up, I was pleasantly speechless!

easy what they will do...cut Isaan and the outer areas of Bangkok (hint hint West), keep the factories supplied (which makes sense) and the rich in the center.

Just look what they did during the floods.

Nord/Nordeast (also South) can be under water for month....not even much in the TV, just farmer who die. Not worth to spend a second of thinking.

Outer areas of Bangkok, qualify already as half humans, but can be scarified if there is the risk that there are 20 cm at a Shinawatra building.

Electric will be the same. Farmer areas count nothing, Democrat areas count little, factories count high, Shinawatra (and other big heads) properties will be OK.

• Like 1

easy what they will do...cut Isaan and the outer areas of Bangkok (hint hint West), keep the factories supplied (which makes sense) and the rich in the center.

Just look what they did during the floods.

Nord/Nordeast (also South) can be under water for month....not even much in the TV, just farmer who die. Not worth to spend a second of thinking.

Outer areas of Bangkok, qualify already as half humans, but can be scarified if there is the risk that there are 20 cm at a Shinawatra building.

Electric will be the same. Farmer areas count nothing, Democrat areas count little, factories count high, Shinawatra (and other big heads) properties will be OK.

Excellent post. Sums up the elites' attitude to the lives, and their worth, of Thai citizens, be they red, yellow, or just normal citizens.

Re. the hospital; was it gov. or private? If the former, we all want to know the name for when we're sick..

Edited by Soi Sauce