Rice Farm

We have been offered 50 rai of land in Ban Marlum (not sure of the spelling), about 40km northish of Korat. We haven't seen it so don't know much, all we know is that it's 30 rai of rice and 20 rai of unused land, semi jungle I think. There is mains water and electric, price is 1 million baht.

Assuming it's reasonable rice growing land, is it a fair price, cheap, expensive or what, anyone like to take a guess?

We'll probably find it's in the middle of nowhere, with little available water, but you never know!

Why, what do you plan to do with it, farm rice ?

At 20k per rai, it is not outragious or ridiculously expensive. But depending on the location, road access, water etc then it still could be well over priced for actually what it is. Hard to know without knowing or seeing etc.

If you really want it, for whatever reason, but you are in no rush, then just offer them something a lot less and see what the reaction is. You can always up the offer later.

We have been offered 50 rai of land in Ban Marlum (not sure of the spelling), about 40km northish of Korat. We haven't seen it so don't know much, all we know is that it's 30 rai of rice and 20 rai of unused land, semi jungle I think. There is mains water and electric, price is 1 million baht.

Assuming it's reasonable rice growing land, is it a fair price, cheap, expensive or what, anyone like to take a guess?

We'll probably find it's in the middle of nowhere, with little available water, but you never know!

Hi there,

Please be informed that in this Region (Isaan ) it is not unusual to have only one Harvest/Year whilst the other Areas have 2 harvests/year. From my point of view this down values the Land , but i might be mistaken...

rcm :o

We're looking around for a plot of land to buy now, and put a house on it in 4 or 5 years time, my wife's brother in law mentioned the land as it's in his village. There is nothing concrete, no urgency, just a casual look for a bit of land, if we find some land ok, if we don't ok.

With the rice farm I thought that maybe put a house on it, then it'll give me something to potter about on in my old age. Maybe farm it ourselves for a few years then rent the land out when I want to take life a bit slower.

I appreciate that it's not easy to answer my question, I know virtually nothing about the land anyway! In hindsight perhaps it would be more sensible if I waited until I'd actually seen the land, then I can answer questions properly!

Well you can bet on one thing whenyour bright shiney face show up the price is going to go up unless it the brotherinlaws land. Could be a great retirement hobby, but no way to make a living by anymeans. Price like everyone say depends but certainly doesn't sound bad. But as you probably know talk is very cheap until you have thing finalized I wouldn't get to excited. If it's your dream I hope it is perfect and everyone treats yo fairly. If it's not your dream run quickly now :o

If you have to ask the question then you probably should not be venturing into farming rice.

At 5bht per kilo the Thai's cannot make money.Unless you have an irrigation system and the water is free in tanks from the local reservoir and you can diversify and rotate crops forget it.Rice Rice Rice and the land is short of essential nutrients. Rotation and manure are the answer. If you can keep cattle and grow maize or vegetables or chillie or something else forget it. Water shortage is the big problem. Look around the area and see the barren fields ( Hang Lang).

I know they only get 1 crop per year in that area, my wife has 5 rai that her parents grow rice on (for their own use) but thanks anyway.

If the price goes up when my ugly mug appears then I won't bother, it's only an idea anyway.

It wouldn't be trying to make a living from it, more something to potter around on, give some work to the locals etc.

I know they only get 1 crop per year in that area, my wife has 5 rai that her parents grow rice on (for their own use) but thanks anyway.

If the price goes up when my ugly mug appears then I won't bother, it's only an idea anyway.

It wouldn't be trying to make a living from it, more something to potter around on, give some work to the locals etc.

You won't often find land below 20k per rai, it is usually higher in my limited experience.

Just beware, there is some land issued by the government to landless farmers, they can't sell it for 10 years or something like that. They DO sell it, and it is often cheap, but they can't give you papers until the time limit has expired - if the land falls into this category, there is an element of risk. Ask to see the "chanote" (deeds) and make sure the sale will be registered at the amphur, also clarify how much the title transfer will cost.

You might consider using the undeveloped land for rubber as a long term investment (7 years).

Good luck. :o

By the way, those of you with more experience in this than me, please correct any mistakes I have made :D

Price seems OK to me. If you are worried about title, etc. then go along to the amphur with the vendor to check it out - don't need a lawyer.

There is a tendency for the seller to try to up the price at the last minute - not just because a Farang is involved - be prepared for this and decide on what you are prepared to pay. Sometimes they also offer it for sale but don't go thru with it.

Water is a prime consideration but the water table is normally pretty high - a few "fish ponds" strategically dug may alleviate the problem.

From the description of your future intentions I'd certainly follow up on it.

Well Sierra sounds like you have it wired correctly, go for it. So many come here tie up thier only money in a farm thinking it will support them, it's a rare case when that happens. Framing is a tough business anywhere. If someone were entertianing that, all you hvave to do is look at the existnce that farmers have and decide if that is how you want to live. What isn't seen is how many of the family are working in Bangkok to make ends meet.

To each person his own paradise. some semm to be very content with living in the country, others don't. I personally enjoy living on the edge of the city. Convience within a very shor distance of driving and not in the middle of all the traffic.

The one thing that seems to be really good advice is to rent at whatever you think you might want to do first and then decide if it really fits your needs. Retirement if yuor lucky will be a very long time job :o

Land at those prices has been offered to me a number of times; there have always been problems associated with it:

- missing titles

- the local reservoir will run dry and the locals know it

- no road access

Still, if you actually want to build something on it, not necessary use it for something "productive", it might well be worth having a look at it.

Rice farming as a hobby in old age -- I would not recommend that, it will be a lot of headache for nothing.

Usually the value of land in the vicinity of an expanding city tends to increase. Important are not only direct roads to it but the infrastructure of major roads. If it is not suitable for farming by yourself, you might rent it out for farming until you have the big chance to sell it for a manufacturing project. But it's a hard guess whether or when this could happen. I depends also on how populated the area around it is. Whether some factory or other project :o:D:D might be interested in buying it because there is a lot of cheap labour settled next to it. Things like that happen. But if you don't have the money spare on your hand for a long term investment, I would rather refrain from buying it. It's sounds like gambling!

Edited by joklaweil

I wouldn't really be farming myself, more overseeing things. I can't see myself knee deep in dirty water bent over all day planting rice!

It's 40 odd km north of Korat, and in a village area, well out in the sticks. I also prefer to live near a city, within 10-15km anyway. This is a bit far out really but we're going over there in about 10-12 days time so I'll have a shufty and see what's what, then report back.