Renewing A Canadian Passport - Pretty Easy, Breezy.

Not sure if this will be of interest or not but as my old passport was expiring and after numerous Thai immigration officers tut-tuting me everytime I crossed the border "you know your passport is expired..." well no...it is "expiring"....ah well.

Sent away for a new passport to the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok and as per the website in exactly 15 working days received my new :extra" pages passport.

They have made it easier to get a renewal without a guarantor signature IF you meet certain criteria:

Passport has never been reported lost/stolen

Your name on the Passport is EXACTLY the same as your old passport
Your current passport has not expired MORE than 1 year (ie it is more than 6 years old)

Print off the application form from the website, get two passport photos done (remember to follow the directions on the application form), have the photographer sign and DATE the photos, send in the current fee (3,150baht for a travel size passport, 48 pages) and mail by ems via thaipost to the embassy.

Always call or check the website for up to date information but was really simple and quick.

Hats off the the Canadian Embassy for providing a service and delivering on the service in the time and way they describe.

• Like 2

The embassy sent me an email with the PDF file. The application itself is only two pages, parts one thru 7.

I cannot see anywhere for a guarantor to sign. I just emailed the embassy about this. Am I missing something??? Do you have more than 2 pages in your application? Thanks for your post.

Re reading your post I meet the criteria, so I guess I do not need a guarantor. The lady did not tell me that on the phone at the embassy, she just told me that I did meet the criteria..... So thanks again

Edited by Colabamumbai

Ohhh, they changed it? You can do a simplified renewal outside of Canada now (eg. in Bangkok)? Before years ago, simplified renewal was only applicable if you were applying inside Canada.

Also, were you offered a 10 year passport? They're supposed to be available starting March 2013, so this month I guess.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess the 10 year passports won't be available until July 2013 now. http://passport.gc.ca/eppt/about.aspx?lang=eng

Edited by Nautilus05

Yes the ten year passport comes on line in July but just a side note the regular passport is 3,000 baht but for an extra 150 baht you get a 48 pager.....good deal. Compared to getting one in Canada which I believe is an extra $25 dollars or 750 baht.

So get the bigger travel size passport if you plan to be in this area of the world for long. One Laos visa / one page.

The embassy sent me an email with the PDF file. The application itself is only two pages, parts one thru 7.

I cannot see anywhere for a guarantor to sign. I just emailed the embassy about this. Am I missing something??? Do you have more than 2 pages in your application? Thanks for your post.

Re reading your post I meet the criteria, so I guess I do not need a guarantor. The lady did not tell me that on the phone at the embassy, she just told me that I did meet the criteria..... So thanks again

Yes, simplified form 2 pages, no guarantor but will need 2 people who have known you for I believe 2 years or more as references. I used one person from Canada and my employer here in Thailand. Do not believe if either one was contacted though.

Biggest item was making sure you get the right photo done. Take the page with the information into a professional photo shop with the dimensions and info needed they should be able to get everything correct from that. My first set of photos (previous passport) were incorrect and had to be redone.

Looks like they're going to get a tad more expensive come July too: http://passport.gc.ca/publications/consultations/index.aspx?lang=eng

If applying outside of Canada, $190 for a 5 year, and $260 for a 10 year. It'll probably be a good 8000 baht with the 48 pages. Passport expires next April, so have to renew sometime at the end of this year.

Edited by Nautilus05

Getting an a new American passport was also easy, breezy for Hubby recently in CM. He downloaded forms from the internet, made an appointment at the U.S. consulate on-line, filled out the forms, went to the consulate, was seen immediately and was told he used the wrong form, so they sent him out to the waiting area to fill out the correct form.

Exactly one week later he received an email that his new passport was ready and he should make another appointment on-line to pick it up. This was on a Monday in Sept. They have citizen services days on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He visited their website, figuring he'd maybe get lucky and score an appointment for the following week and, miracle of miracles -- they had openings in their schedule for the next day.

It wasn't until he got to the Consulate and saw some extra security that he realized he'd made his appointment for Sept 11. No wonder there were appointments still available. But, he gamely went in and found the staff basically standing around with nothing to do and eager to engage in meaningless small talk to pass the time -- normally there's no time for idle chit-chat since they pride themselves on keeping the appointments on track. He even stuck around the waiting area for a while to watch Fox News on the TV for a laugh. (It is a bit disconcerting that Fox News is the channel they always show on citizen services day -- hope the consular staff realizes it's basically a mirror image the "news" shows of "Comedy Central")

Have the right size photos they are awfully big, they must be scanned smaller I guess into the passport. I have the 48 pager but fill it in 2 years with Lao and other visas. But I was waiting for the ten year, but if it is going to be the same 48 pages there is no point, as it will be filled up in 2 or 3 years.

Transfer of Non B and Multiple re-entry are probable going to take more than two pages to start with. Returning from Canada Mid April will sent in application then. Leaving April 5 and I know it only takes 12 to 15 days, but I do not want to have something more to worry about at this point. W.P and Non B were just both extended till Mar 31, 2014 yesterday.

Wrong date stamp from Nong Khai March 13 should have been March 31 2013 was also corrected at Sakhon Naknon both in their computers and on my departure card. This time the actually put the re-entry permit in my passport and gave me the receipt, the last time they did not, until I was leaving and asked them I do not see the re-entry permit and I have no receipt.

They confirmed that they would transfer both visa and re-entry into new passport.

Quotes text:

Print off the application form from the website, get two passport photos done (remember to follow the directions on the application form), have the photographer sign and DATE the photos, send in the current fee (3,150baht for a travel size passport, 48 pages) and mail by ems via thaipost to the embassy.

Just a question ! Do you need to send the current passport with the application ?

Quotes text:

Just a question ! Do you need to send the current passport with the application ?

Yes you must. that is why my post says I will wait until I return, with my luck lately it will get lost somewhere and I will not be able to fly out April 6th.

Quotes text:

Yes, you can tick off a box that asks if you want your old passport returned. If you have an exisiting visa just mark the box and you will get it returned with your new one.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

I resuscitate this post to ask a question about the renewing process of a Canadian Passport, if anyone can help.

I'll need to renew my passport soon, only two (non opposite) blank pages left, it's causing me problem already, since it's a requirement for getting a Thai visa in Delhi (where I'll go next month).

I live in Chiang Mai and I plan to send my application to Bangkok by mail. Question is : do I need to add any additional fee to my payment to get my new passport back by mail or courrier?

And, once I got my passports, how do I transfer the stamp from the old one to the new one? I guest the CM immigration office is the place to go, but I'd appreciate a confirmation of that. At the time I'll renew my passport, I'm gonna have a simple 30 days visa-exemption stamp.

Oh, and note that Canada DO NOT make any 48 pages passport anymore. All passports are 36 pages. Therefore I decided to get a 5 years passport only, since I don't think 36 pages will be enough for 10 years travelling...

5 years CA passport is now 5,700 THB.

10 years is 7,800 THB.

Pheng maak!

There is a Canadian consulate in Chiang Mai where you can apply for your passport.

Info: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thailand-thailande/consular_services_consulaires/consul_thailand-thailande.aspx?lang=eng#ChiangMai

You do not need to go to immigration you will just show your both passports when departing the country and they will take care of stamps. You only need to go to immigration if you have an extension of stay.

Thanks to the OP for good info. Since they are very fussy for the photos, can anyone recommend a photographer/shop, preferably in Pattaya but Bangkok ok too, who can do photos for the Canadian Passport.?

There is one within walking distance of the BKK Canadian Consulate, apologies can't recall exactly where but the consulate will have a list of reccomended photographers.

There is a Canadian consulate in Chiang Mai where you can apply for your passport.

Info: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thailand-thailande/consular_services_consulaires/consul_thailand-thailande.aspx?lang=eng#ChiangMai

You do not need to go to immigration you will just show your both passports when departing the country and they will take care of stamps. You only need to go to immigration if you have an extension of stay.

Thanks for your answer.

I decided not to use the mail nor the Canadian Consulate in CM and to go directly to Bangkok to apply and to pick-up my passport. The processing time is now of 20 working days, i.e. up to 28 days! Since I'll be on a 30 days visa-exemption, adding the mailing time I'd be in overstay.

I had to go to Bangkok anyway, so it's ok, but I think the processing time at Canadian Embassy could be shorter (15 working days like before made better sense).

Good to know I can show to the border with my both passports, cause I may not even had the time to go to the Immigration office before...