Fish Farming ... When It Goes Belly Up

David48

Donald ... with your pond ... make sure it is either drained for an extended period or poison the residual water (maybe the last few cms covering the entire pond).

Some fish species can just linger, surviving in the wet mud for some time.

post-104736-0-63957900-1362883712_thumb.

One pond the Farm Father drained stayed dry for over 2 weeks while he allowed nature to take it's course.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very valuable information and I thank Ozzydom for it. Not sure how long it will take me to get to the bottom of this situation by will start by catching as many fish as I can that are 4-6 inches and disposing of them. In order to buy only male fry it would be difficult for me to get the other provinces. I will inquire at the local Fisheries Farm and see what they have to say.

Contact Nam Sai, I am sure they can get the stock shipped to you.

This is very valuable information and I thank Ozzydom for it. Not sure how long it will take me to get to the bottom of this situation by will start by catching as many fish as I can that are 4-6 inches and disposing of them. In order to buy only male fry it would be difficult for me to get the other provinces. I will inquire at the local Fisheries Farm and see what they have to say.

Contact Nam Sai, I am sure they can get the stock shipped to you.

Yes, Namsai will airfreight, it is rather expensive but so is driving all that way to pick them up yourself.

By the way DB ,in answer to your aeration question,Namsai have an equipment division which deals in pumps ,aerators etc.

Www.farmaqua.com will give you lots of information, Angus is the main man and very helpful and all round nice bloke (for a Brit biggrin.png ).

An airpump is probably the way to go for you as paddle wheels can create erosion in small earthen ponds.

All of this information has been very helpful. My upper lake does not seem to be spring fed in the dry season. If I drain it to the lower lake then I could pump it back but not sure that I can get all the small ones out. Anyway, I will start pumping and draining to get the water level down so I can then net the fish. Again, many thanks for good information

All of this information has been very helpful. My upper lake does not seem to be spring fed in the dry season. If I drain it to the lower lake then I could pump it back but not sure that I can get all the small ones out. Anyway, I will start pumping and draining to get the water level down so I can then net the fish. Again, many thanks for good information

DB thats where the poison comes into play, every last fish must be removed before restocking

Edited by ozzydom

When ever pumping in new water always make sure there is an effective screening net involved.

post-104736-0-11981900-1362890494_thumb.

Here, there was a net on both the intake

post-104736-0-36436600-1362890412_thumb.

and on the discharge.

Between the ponds ... maybe just one on the intake might be sufficient.

Donald ... with your pond ... make sure it is either drained for an extended period or poison the residual water (maybe the last few cms covering the entire pond).

Some fish species can just linger, surviving in the wet mud for some time.

attachicon.gifDSCF9244.jpg

One pond the Farm Father drained stayed dry for over 2 weeks while he allowed nature to take it's course.

Thats a good pic David, with that amount of aeration I can see how they can mix Tilapia and white prawns. Between the pumps and the paddle wheel setups there is a lot of capitol involved.

I need to know where in Chiang Rai I might buy the professional aerator systems

Please PM me if you want the best aerator possible. We are manufacturing a new product. We used to have 30HP on 8100m2 pond and now we use only 12HP and the DO is improved when compared to traditional paddle wheels. Also the new units are almost maintenance free.

Please PM me if you want the best aerator possible. We are manufacturing a new product. We used to have 30HP on 8100m2 pond and now we use only 12HP and the DO is improved when compared to traditional paddle wheels. Also the new units are almost maintenance free.

Have you got a website or photo links?

Do you have aerator that is suitable for 1 rai ponds?

To pattayaorganic ... this thread is not for self-promotion of a commercial product.

If you wish to promote what you sell ... and I support anything that helps the Fish Farm Industry, may I politely request that you start your own thread with photos, weblinks etc.

Do not know why but I got fascinated by the guy holding up the pipe... Did he do that all day? Or was it just while the other guy tied on the net? If it was only temporary, did he then go give the foam blocks on the outlet side a rest?

Gotta love Thai farms. Never clean everything up because you will never have a handy piece of crap just laying around to use for that overlooked or lost support. thumbsup.gif

Do not know why but I got fascinated by the guy holding up the pipe... Did he do that all day? Or was it just while the other guy tied on the net? If it was only temporary, did he then go give the foam blocks on the outlet side a rest?

Gotta love Thai farms. Never clean everything up because you will never have a handy piece of crap just laying around to use for that overlooked or lost support. thumbsup.gif

Maybe this might settle your curiosity?

The blue netting, being stalled by the Farm Father, is on the intake side and the you can plainly see the outlet.

This pond was drained and refilled the same morning.

Will be the subject of another thread later.

Far from it. The guy and the foam blocks are gone. All I could see was a guy covered in mud crawling out and then a lot of knee deep foot prints like someone running in circles in the mud further down.

Let me guess. Or at least put this sapping heat induced stupor to some use....

The guy holding the pipe puts it down while Farm Father fires up the donk. The water starts to get sucked in and so does the mesmerized pipe holder who squats down watching the inlet net get sucked up the pipe with the water. Suddenly Farm Father starts yelling for him and the spell is broken. He turns and sees the precious foam blocks, dislodged by the vibration being blown downstream with the outlet water and it is all his fault. He panics. He runs. He jumps. And he threshes about in the mud trying desperately to save the blocks from drowning,but he fails.... the blocks are no more (trumpets play)

Note to editor: Add trumpets before your next topic addition will you...

Thats the suction end he is holdingcoffee1.gif

About time the EM manual got trotted out again. If you haven't read it yet, you should. It basically shows you everything you need to know about EM as a user and more importantly it is authored by the guy that invented this particular brew. Not much on fish unfortunately, mostly crops. One day I will go visit the farm when I am near Bangkok. I do not blow a lot of other peoples trumpets but EMRO is a very easy to deal with company, both head office in Japan and here. They have other national operations and if you get busy on Google there is a wealth of knowledge based on their products and Korean Natural Farming which covers more indigenous cultures.

If you can accept that salt based chemicals are a contributor to the degradation of your soil then dont look to them to fix it! This stuff works.

Maybe this might settle your curiosity?

The blue netting, being stalled by the Farm Father, is on the intake side and the you can plainly see the outlet.

This pond was drained and refilled the same morning.

Will be the subject of another thread later.

The above 6'' long tail pipe is a slow revolution type (big propeller) couple with diesel engine.

Mine is 5'' high rev type (small speed boat propeller) couple with benzine engine.

DB thats where the poison comes into play, every last fish must be removed before restocking

Yes and remember that tilapia can live under a wet refrigerator for three days.

The above 6'' long tail pipe is a slow revolution type (big propeller) couple with diesel engine.

Mine is 5'' high rev type (small speed boat propeller) couple with benzine engine.

Mate, great clip ... clap2.gif

Is there a significance in the opening secs when you wash your feet?

What was in the ponds you pumped from and to?

The receiving pond was a recently cut rice paddy.

Details please!

About time the EM manual got trotted out again.

IA ... are you volunteering?

Would hate to see the information lost over time.

Once done ... could add it, in my instance to the Fish Farms 201 and others to their vocations.

Once done ... could add it, in my instance to the Fish Farms 201 and others to their vocations.

Volunteering for what Dave? Sorry brain not working this morning!!

Volunteering for what Dave? Sorry brain not working this morning!!

Putting together a separate EM thread? Once up, we could link it from here.

I appreciate that you have some technology that you have developed.

So maybe the theme could be on the benefits of EM to the Farming Community,

rather then on production techniques.

It might whet the appetite of the community for either your product or a commercially

prepared one if they knew the benefits.

I've tapped RedBullHorn on the shoulder for a thread on the benefits of using the

black-light to attract insects when then add to the food supply for the fish.

Just that we collectively make something more of the Farming Forum.

Mate, great clip ... clap2.gif

Is there a significance in the opening secs when you wash your feet?

What was in the ponds you pumped from and to?

The receiving pond was a recently cut rice paddy.

Details please!

The vid was from my harvest in Dec' 2009.

Here the link: My Catfish Farm Operation.

The opening secs is to show the stream water and its quality that I've year round.

Catfishes, 25'000 of them in each 800sqm pond (for this size I've 4 of them side by side)

Preparing that pond for harvest the next day.

Water from fish pond is highly source after by paddy farmers, they would request for it when i pump out.

The field next that pond belongs to the AIL.

I have 6 of this long tail pipe pump. The engine is Honda GX200 (6.5 hp). The total cost for 1 pipe pump and Honda engine is ฿10'800. (RRP Chiang Rai) Lenght type: 18' x 5'' & 16' x 5'' There's also 6' x 5'' type for paddy field usage.

I'd call it a 1 rai 'pond' because i will be broke if pumping a lake dry laugh.png

In a village, people are willing to help if you ask nicely, get the wife to go along to ask some relatives or neighbours.

Get 2-3 pumps (they have it, really !) together with the follow-behind-tractors and offer meals and liquors (Lao Khao) for the whole day (doesn't cost much).

Offer to pay/buy fuel for the tractors and top it up full tank each as a token of appreciation. If there's fishes in the pond, share the catch with them.

Offer by "asking them later" when the jobs done, how much would be an "appropriate amount" of money for their "help" (not labour), mostly they would not want it or they may just want a little like a couple hundreds Baht each. If they say "it's ok, mai penrai~" then don't push it. They take it as a form of "nam jai" (generosity) for being able to help and felt good about it because you are nice and polite and courteous. (as a falang) smile.png

Try it ! Works for me all the times.

PS: But if you're a known "falang ki nok" (stingy) and with a lousy attitude, you will not get help willingly or you might be charge an expensive service fee. (just to discourage you or to make a fool out of you.)

Edited by RedBullHorn

We are gettign a die off of the bigger fish from last year, wiht the current heat. Oddly enough isn't effecting the fry we just put in. I think the only solution is to pump some water in from one of the other ponds available to us.

We didn't run into this last year as we pump[ed a lot of water in, from the other pobds That being said that is an expensive operation. Not effecting the fry adn not sure I have enough big ones left to make it worthwhile money wise. These are Pla Nin, have 0-2 24/7.