Thaksin Flees The Capital ... And Reality

george

Thaksin flees the capital . . . and reality

Under attack from all sides, the PM has headed to the provinces to find support

BANGKOK: -- As the tension mounts, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra may be wishing that he could go to sleep tonight and wake up on April 2.

The PM is fighting furiously to keep his sinking ship afloat - and try to sweep all 500 House seats in the April 2 election.

Thaksin seems to really believe such an outcome would save him.

His Thai Rak Thai Party will win the election if it takes place, but he appears to be taking the biggest gamble of his life - risking his mind in order to get one more taste of victory.

Apart from a mass rally at Sanam Luang last Friday, in which the Thai Rak Thai Party mobilised more than 200,000 people to support Thaksin's bid to remain in power, the premier is finding reality so rough and bitter that he can no longer face it.

As troubles mount in Bangkok he is fleeing to the provinces where he can be assured he will receive only "honey and roses" from the grass-root supporters who still have faith in him.

As calls for his resignation and rumours of possible a military coup mount, he runs further and faster.

He also has to hide from continuous mass rallies against him, attempts by third parties to cause violence, petitions to HM the King to appoint a "royal-sponsored" premier and a lengthening queue of prominent figures calling for him to quit.

The extent of his "shaky nerves" prompted him to call meetings with senior military officers over the past few weeks so he could determine whether they were still loyal to him.

Thaksin must be finding it almost unbelievable that he has to steer clear of Bangkok.

Just last year his overwhelming popularity led to a landslide for his party, with Thai Rak Thai grabbing 32 of the 37 House seats in the capital.

But if he remains in Bangkok he will have to endure something he has shown little patience for - criticism.

Protests by the People's Alliance for Democracy and middle-class voters calling for his exit have succeeded in driving him from the capital.

Despite numerous warnings that he should stand down before it's too late, so that he can go with honour, Thaksin has remained defiant. But to do so he has had to flee into his imagination.

In the provinces he can cling to his heroic vision of himself as indispensable to the country.

Over the past several days he has visited Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen and Nakhon Ratchasima to hear thousands of people cheering and greeting him.

On Sunday evening, as the anti-Thaksin rally moved from Sanam Luang along Rajdamnoen Road to Government House, Thaksin swiftly changed his schedule.

After meeting thousands of supporters in Khon Kaen earlier that day he decided to spend the night in the province rather than return to Bangkok, as earlier planned.

More than 200 police officers had been dispatched to Soi Charunsanitwong 69 - the entrance to Thaksin's residence - in case demonstrators brought their calls for the premier to step down to his doorstep.

Thaksin told reporters on Monday that he went to bed at 10pm Sunday night. He said he had not followed news reports about the tens of thousands of demonstrators who marched on Government House.

A source close to him said the premier had read a 50-page survey that, he told his close aides, showed his popularity was "still high".

Despite this, it's difficult to believe he could have had a good night's sleep without being medicated.

With the crisis yet to peak, Thaksin will no doubt find this month to be unusually long.

But he is so busy struggling to get through each day safely that he may be unable to stop and actually recognise that there is no place for him on the other side.

--The Nation, Political desk, 2006-03-08

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yeah; you can always count on the nation for some objective reporting!

they, like the protesters, seem to think that mass demonstrations forcing the ouster of an elected official are more democratic than elections in a few weeks' time. oh well...

Not surprised Taxin stayed in KK, he still has massive support from the country folk up here.

I was speaking with a couple of people I know in a very small village outside Khon Kaen and they admitted that "Taksin no good take money Singapore", but they added that before Taksin their village was wrecked by "Ya Bah", "Mafia Money-lenders" and "illegal gambling". They also spoke of the 30 baht healthcare. To these folk the fact that the PM has perhaps "(ab)used the system" is irrellevent, to them the phrase "Taksin Take Care" is still valid.

I think the writer of this political opinion suffers from a mild case of misguided wishful thinking :o

Why would Thaksin waste his time in Bangkok if he can spend it handing out free fishballs in Issan and campaign in the provinces that will actually decide the outcome of the next election? :D

There's a big chance that Taksin won't last until next elections.

The reality The Nation talks about is that all whose opinion matters in Thailand turned away from him. Rural folks who still have no clue as to why people protest against Taksin are his only solace. And he surely isn't there to educate them of his crimes.

The more he tries to take advantage of poor villagers, the farther his credibility sinks.

Just a short time ago his talk about helping the poor found a lot of ears, now it's only people wating for a handout who still listen to him.

300 protesters spoil Thaksin's rally

SA KAEW: -- About 300 protesters greeted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday while he was on his way to Sa Kaew, a political stronghold of his friend-turned-foe Snoh Thienthong.

Thaksin began his tour of the provinces on Saturday, shortly after a week of registration of election candidacy began last Thursday. He met thousands of his supporters in the North and Northeast, but Wednesday's was the first group of protesters he encountered outside of Bangkok.

Local authorities at Aranyaprathet border checkpoint in Sa Kaew managed to narrowly prevent a clash between the protesters and some 500 supporters of the premier, as both sides began to exchange heated arguments.

Some of the protesters held placards with messages like "Why are you here, man of no ethics?" and "Thaksin, get out". Some of the messages also praised Snoh as "creator" of the ruling Thai Rak Thai Party.

Before Thaksin arrived, local authorities ordered removal of a stage set up by the protesters.

A few hundreds metres away from the protesters, Thaksin supporters gathered and handed him flowers when the premier arrived.

While Thaksin was listening to a report from local officials about the border trade near the customs office, the protesters moved closer and shouted repeatedly, "Thaksin, get out". About 50 soldiers formed a barrier to prevent the protesters from advancing further.

--The Nation 2006-03-08

Shrewd man - out on the campaign trail for the next few weeks criss crossing thailand provinces. This is what the opposition should be doing, however they are intent on whinging instead of participating in the democratic process called an election.

Like is says in Thenation article, Thaksin must be nervous now. In Bangkok there are perhaps 2 or 3 million people who are demanding his resignation. I can't blame him for going upcountry and spending time with the other 60 million Thai citizens who support him (most of them), even though they are poor and uneducated.

And I can't blame Sondhi and his journalists are sqealing like pigs over Thaksin's latest trip. It must be frustrating for them.

Bryan

Shrewd man - out on the campaign trail for the next few weeks criss crossing thailand provinces. This is what the opposition should be doing, however they are intent on whinging instead of participating in the democratic process called an election.

You are quite right. I have always thought that the opposition should have joined the system. Put together a coherent platform with positive ideas. They should have been able to "win back" the country legally between now and the next election if their ideas are so good and if there is such a pressing need to replace Thaksin.

Taksin should resign for concealing his assets, not because he is beaten by opposition in elections. There are legal requirements for MPs. One of them, for example, is having a bachelor degree, and another is complete asset declaration.

What if Taksin had a fake degree from Kao Sarn road? Following your logic the opposition should "join the system" and beat him in countrywide elections to enforce the rule that fake degree holders need not apply in the first place.

It's not the matter of votes - it's the matter of qualifying to stand for public office.

Clever fellow that he is, he sidestepped the issue of his legitimacy and switched to his popularity instead. That fooled lots of rural folks, and a few farangs, apparently, but didn't hold with educated urbanites who see his games through.

As this is a discussion thread and based on opinion and not fact, I'd like to share with you an opinion posted on The Nation's discussion board... an opinion from a Thai who left Thailand at age 22 and has been living in England for the past 30 years... he makes some interesting cultural observations. :o

To me personally... he makes some very pertinent observations... no doubt attributable to the cultural awareness he has experienced whilst abroad. His love and loyalty to Thailand however, cannot be disputed.

I quote:

Sir, I think you misunderstood human character somewhere along the line. I am not sure your meaning of the word “Greed”. This is my meaning “Wanting for more than one’s share”.

You said, “If there is NO money, then there would have no money for corruption!!” This is incorrect; Greed will always wants more of whatever available to be shared than greed contribution. If it were pebbles, Greed want more pebbles for less contribution so that Greed could contribute less for more seashells when available to be shared. Greed is a selfish character, Greed does not want to share at all if greed could get away with: it is an undesirable character in Leadership. You show me a greedy or selfish Leader then I would show disunity and suffered majority group of followers.

You said “Politic is a matter of ‘Power’ in greed. People should focus on how to use greed, measure it, monitor it, audit & control it, for the benefit of the society; but not to ignore it or speaking of ‘ETHICS’ to overrule the true nature of mankind…”

Greed does not want to share, so Greed hind & cover up the truth or tell the truth in bits and pieces it is not a lie but it is not the whole truth. Greed does not want other to know the truth, so Greed control the information & communication means (civil servants, people in power & media). Therefore you can’t monitor, audit & control Greed, Greed manipulate and control you. Greed let you know on the need to know basic. Greed would “TALK ETHICS” continue to “DO SELFISH”. Greed are born so could not be changed.

If you represent the majority of Thais opinion & behavior, then you only got yourself to blame. Thailand is very wealthy in resources and sufficient in financial but somehow Thailand is still living as just above Third world country level. I believe you are a greedy person, you posses all “Essential goods” and some “Luxury goods” but somehow you still want more and more of “LUXURY GOODS” to the expense of the young, the elderly, the sick, the poor, the weak, the lowly educated, the helpless and the unfortunate; these descriptions might be a bit long and sad I could make it short for you “The Thai majority”. You are as strong as your weakest links; sadly Thailand weakest links are the majority. They contribute so much into society, spend 15 hours travel to work 50 hours a week, the Greed in power value all theirs efforts only Bt 3,000 far below the needs to afford “Essential goods” so they have to spend 50 hours a week trying to make end meet. Farmers has to sell theirs children just to survive while the Greedy spend on Bt 3,000,000 on other luxury car they don’t need, Children running around selling items for a few bath to supplement family income while other fellow Greedy human dining in restaurant costing Bt 5,000. How could you do it, don’t you know the word “Compassion”? Oh I forgot Greedy person could not posses compassion character.

Thailand is similar to England in so many ways I should know. I am 100% Thai left Thailand at the age of 22, live & work in England for the past 30 years. I could explain to you the reasons but would take too long. English does possess Greed character but the different are the big majority of English are very well read well informed they love and want to know just to enrich theirs wealth of knowledge & theirs life. England has plenty of knowledge they love to record every thing and any things. All these records and knowledge are on offered more than you could take at very little cost or no cost at all. A taxi driver completed with academic & other walk of life in “Master Mind” and won! That is not unusual. They believe in fairness disregard of social status that is why they love to queue. If the high social status jumps in the queue there is more chance for you to win first prize lottery than the high social status not being asked to get back in line. Majority of English are compassion, in actual fact too compassion. They are too many do good & well intent people about in England, the prisoners get more attention than the crime victims. I can understand the reason why: prisoner lost theirs liberty and freedom to participate in free society that is the worst thing ever could happen in English society. Liberty & Freedom to do what one like to one self. English society evolves from the past Greedy and Selfish to be Sharing & Caring of today because of “People Power”. They were so many great (GREAT not GREED) people scarified theirs personal comfort so that majority and future generation could have a chance to have a bit of a better life. I could had immigrate back to Thailand and live a life of a rich person but I chose to live a life of an ordinary with a true freedom. I am happy living in comfortable life style but I am even happier with the knowledge my fellow human not suffered. I prefer to have a bit less so that my fellow human could have a bit of comfort. And that is not Greed: it is compassion.

In order to achieve a long lasting result, my fellow Thai:

We must learn to respect behavior not substance, honesty not wealth, victims as well as victors: the strong must look out for the weak. The have more should prepare to have a bit less so that the have less could afford to live a little bit better, until then and only then the journey to True Democracy wouldn’t be only just a dream. We will get there: together we get there: “WHEN” not “IF” we get there, we will stay there together forever, my fellow Thais.

Powerful stuff.

As this is a discussion thread and based on opinion and not fact, I'd like to share with you an opinion posted on The Nation's discussion board...

Powerful stuff.

Thanks Jai Dee. Absolutely brilliant. Wish I could meet that guy one day.

Edited by Jai Yen Yen

Nearly 100 firms face boycott in drive to oust Thai PM

by Nareerat Wiriyapong

=(PICTURE)=

ATTENTION - ADDS regulator's quote defending investigation ///

BANGKOK, March 8, 2006 (AFP) - Thai protesters threatened

Wednesday to boycott nearly 100 companies and products linked to

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, racheting up the pressure for him

to resign.

The boycott list includes several top international brands, such

as Toyota, Heineken, Nescafe and Seven-Eleven.

"We will see to it that Thai people don't drink Nescafe coffee

or buy goods at Seven-Eleven convenience stores," said Parnthep

Puurpongpan, a spokesman for the anti-Thaksin coalition that has led

weekly protests in Bangkok.

The boycott would begin Thursday if Singapore state-linked

investment firm Temasek completes its purchase of Shin Corp, the

telecom giant founded by Thaksin, Parnthep said.

The list includes dozens of companies with links to Thaksin's

business empire, to his party or to Temasek.

Thaksin's family sold its nearly 50 percent stake in Shin Corp

to Temasek in late January, making 1.9 billion dollars in the

tax-free deal. Public anger at the deal snowballed into weekly

protests and plunged Thailand into political turmoil.

"A boycott is the general right of the Thai public to protest

against Shin Corp's sale to Temasek," Parnthep said.

The People's Alliance for Democracy released a list of nearly

100 boycott targets, including Thailand's largest mobile phone

operator, two international airlines and two banks.

Among Shin Corp's companies are Thailand's biggest mobile phone

operator Advance Info Service (AIS), discount carrier Air Asia,

Internet provider CS Lox Info, and iTV television station.

Temasek's varied interests include banks DBS, Thai Danu Bank and

UOB, the Hard Rock Cafe franchise, Tiger Beer and Heineken, and

Singapore Airlines.

Billionaire Thaksin counts many top businessmen among his

party's members and supporters, including people with ties to

Toyota, Nescafe and Seven-Eleven -- putting all those firms on the

protesters' list as well.

The latest threat from the protesters came as they ready for

their next major rally Monday night, to be followed early Tuesday by

a march on Government House during Thaksin's cabinet meeting.

The head of the Senate foreign affairs committee, Kraisak

Choonhavan, also wrote to Singaporean leaders Wednesday, saying the

protests could damage relations and urging them to "clarify"

allegations of wrongdoing in the Shin Corp sale.

The Securities and Exchange Commission late Wednesday denied

allegations it had altered or withheld documents related to its

investigation of the Shin Corp sale.

"The allegation is aimed to discredit the SEC even though we

have done everything with transparency," assistant secretary general

Prasong Vinaiphat said in a statement.

The protesters got a major boost this week when the nation's

biggest union vowed to mobilize 100,000 workers to join them.

Unions representing Thailand's 42 state enterprises are set to

meet Thursday on whether to join the protest, but divisions have

begun to emerge. A group of railway workers said they want to remain

neutral in the political crisis.

Adding to the pressure on Thaksin, the army chief warned that

the ongoing political upheaval could unsettle revered King Bhumibol

Adulyadej.

"The king may be upset because he knows that we are having these

problems in the country," General Sonthi Boonyaratglin said.

"It's time for (all Thais) to help each other to end this

situation."

Scores of prominent politicians and academics have petitioned

the 78-year-old king -- who this year celebrates the 60th

anniversary of his coronation -- to appoint an interim prime

minister as a way out of the crisis.

Thaksin has dissolved parliament and called snap elections for

April 2 in hopes of ending the crisis, but opposition parties are

boycotting the polls, casting doubt on the vote's legitimacy.

The premier spent Wednesday campaigning in eastern Thailand to

urge voters to cast ballots but some 200 protesters tried to block

him in the town of Sakaew.

The protestors waved placards and shouted "Thaksin, get out!" as

he arrived for a meeting with local officials.

About 200 supporters also demonstrated, but police kept the

rival groups apart and cleared the way for Thaksin to enter.

bur/pjl/sm

AFP 081317 GMT MAR 06

by Nareerat Wiriyapong

=(PICTURE)=

ATTENTION - ADDS regulator's quote defending investigation ///

BANGKOK, March 8, 2006 (AFP) - Thai protesters threatened

Wednesday to boycott nearly 100 companies and products linked to

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, racheting up the pressure for him

to resign.

The boycott would begin Thursday if Singapore state-linked

investment firm Temasek completes its purchase of Shin Corp, the

telecom giant founded by Thaksin, Parnthep said.

The list includes dozens of companies with links to Thaksin's

business empire, to his party or to Temasek.

Thaksin's family sold its nearly 50 percent stake in Shin Corp

to Temasek in late January, making 1.9 billion dollars in the

tax-free deal. Public anger at the deal snowballed into weekly

protests and plunged Thailand into political turmoil.

"A boycott is the general right of the Thai public to protest

against Shin Corp's sale to Temasek," Parnthep said.

The People's Alliance for Democracy released a list of nearly

100 boycott targets, including Thailand's largest mobile phone

operator, two international airlines and two banks.

Among Shin Corp's companies are Thailand's biggest mobile phone

operator Advance Info Service (AIS), discount carrier Air Asia,

Internet provider CS Lox Info, and iTV television station.

Temasek's varied interests include banks DBS, Thai Danu Bank and

UOB, the Hard Rock Cafe franchise, Tiger Beer and Heineken, and

Wishful thinking! :o

As this is a discussion thread and based on opinion and not fact, I'd like to share with you an opinion posted on The Nation's discussion board...

Powerful stuff.

Thanks Jai Dee. Absolutely brilliant. Wish I could meet that guy one day.

So do I... I'd shake his hand for sure. :o

Unfortunately, most Thais have not had the privilege nor the wherewithall and experience to develop such insight nor ability to speak out like that. :D

by Nareerat Wiriyapong

<clip>

<clip>

AFP 081317 GMT MAR 06

Yeah, right. Who is it that's fleeing reality?

Time to head down to 7-11 and buy a sixpack and a jar of coffee. The Toyota will have to wait for a while though. :o

Edited by Bryan in Isaan

(Adds fresh Thaksin quotes)

By Pracha Hariraksapitak

BANGKOK, March 8 (Reuters) - A close adviser to Thailand's

revered monarch urged Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his

foes on Wednesday to meet to discuss a way to end the country's

political crisis, an idea that Thaksin said he welcomed.

"Discussion is the best solution because everyone is a

grown up, not a child," said General Surayud Chulanont, a

former army chief and one of King Bhumibol Adulyadej's top 18

advisers.

"They should be thinking now whether it is time to sit down

and talk," he told reporters after police said they feared

violence could erupt as an extra-parliamentary coalition

presses its campaign against Thaksin.

Protests are growing, mainly in Bangkok, to force Thaksin

to quit over allegations of corruption and abuse of power.

Thaksin has said he will not go, and has called snap polls on

April 2.

But the three main opposition political parties decided to

boycott the election and the anti-Thaksin campaign by the

extra-parliamentary groups has strengthened.

Surayud said he drove with his car headlights on after a

police general called on people to do so if they wanted Thaksin

and his opponents to talk their way out of the crisis.

His call for talks, to which there was no immediate

response, came a day after Army Commander-in-Chief Sonthi

Boonyaratglin urged all Thais to help bring an end to the

political impasse.

"While we are having problems, His Majesty must have been

saddened," Sonthi told reporters in an oblique call for

national unity as all Thais revere the King.

Thaksin said on Wednesday he would talk to anyone,

anywhere.

"I don't see any problem. I am happy to talk," he told

reporters at a campaign stop in the central province of Sa Kaew

where he was booed by 200 protesters.

But at another rally, he told 5,000 supporters that he

would not step side as demanded by his foes, and was determined

to participate in the poll to form the next government.

"This election is for the people to vote for this prime

minister to continue to work," Thaksin said in the eastern

province of Chantaburi. "I hope I will be able to form a new

government soon."

Pipob Thongchai of the People's Alliance for Democracy, a

coalition of anti-Thaksin groups, said they would consider

Surayud's appeal for talks.

"The idea was just floated and we need to discuss it

tonight," he told Reuters.

ANOTHER PROTEST?

The campaign against Thaksin, who won a second landslide

election victory a year ago, was fuelled by the $1.9 billion

tax-free sale of the business empire he founded by relatives in

January.

Police now fear another mass protest, intended to block

ministers from their weekly cabinet meeting at Government House

next Tuesday morning, could lead to street violence in a

country with a long and relatively recent history of coups.

The last bloody pro-democracy protests were in May 1992,

which led to the fall of a military-backed government.

The headlight call was made by national police spokesman

Ajiravid Subarnbhesaj on Tuesday as he said there should be

immediate talks on a crisis which has businessmen fearing

economic growth will slow.

Analysts say that the election, which Thaksin's Thai Rak

Thai (Thais Love Thais) Party was expected to win even without

a boycott on the back of solid support in the countryside where

70 percent of Thais live, will not resolve the crisis.

The registration period for candidates ended on Wednesday,

with Thai Rak Thai and more than a dozen other smaller, unknown

parties set to compete in the race, the Election Commission

said.

(Additional reporting by Trirat Puttajanyawong)

He is not fleeing reality.

He is heading for where his power base is, and to the source of his next electoral victory.

The reality is Thailand is not BKK

:o One of the few who get it. :D

Trust me I hate the man as much as everyone else, I want to see him booted via an election.

life is so unfair isn't?

Attributed to late Chaushesku, isn't it?

Now, with his back against the wall Taksin starts talking "fair" and "democracy". No doubt PAD are all ears - they just can't wait to deal him what THEY think is fair.

Call from Surayud is a first real exit option from "upstairs" after failed "new elections" try.

Most probably Taksin will disappear for a while but will be allowed to return to politics if he wishes so. That sounds like an acceptable compromise between him and PAD et al. If there's a genuine political reform, it might even work.

The best thing is to start talking. Once commited to talks, some sort of outcome is guaranteed. Right now it's impasse.

Taksin should resign for concealing his assets, not because he is beaten by opposition in elections. There are legal requirements for MPs. One of them, for example, is having a bachelor degree, and another is complete asset declaration.

What if Taksin had a fake degree from Kao Sarn road? Following your logic the opposition should "join the system" and beat him in countrywide elections to enforce the rule that fake degree holders need not apply in the first place.

It's not the matter of votes - it's the matter of qualifying to stand for public office.

Clever fellow that he is, he sidestepped the issue of his legitimacy and switched to his popularity instead. That fooled lots of rural folks, and a few farangs, apparently, but didn't hold with educated urbanites who see his games through.

You bring up an interesting point. In a case like this, where there is some disagreement about whether or not the PM is legitimate, there is probably an enforcement body of some kind. Who is that, the parliament? That of course is dissolved now, and even before that the TRT was the overwhelming majority. If there was something similar to an impeachment process it would have been difficult to pull off. Unless Thaksin stands up one day and says, "OK guys, I'm a phony and corrupt to the bone, so I'm going to resign...", this ultimately needs to be worked out in the voting booth. If the "rural folks and a few farangs" are uneducated and uninformed, it is the burden of the "educated urbanites" to educate us on how to vote in the next election(although farangs can't really vote), since Thaksin is the sitting PM. This is how it works in a civilized society.

He is not fleeing reality.

He is heading for where his power base is, and to the source of his next electoral victory.

The realality is Thailand is not BKK

And that is the truth of it ............ end of story.........

Sad but true :o

Someone sent this chain email to me. I guess it's about Thaksin. Any good translators here?

"แฉ "ทักษิณ" กลัวถูกยึดทรัพย์ ขอ"ผู้ใหญ่"ช่วยเคลียร์

"อัมมาร" ชี้ ทักษิณไม่ยอมออกอย่างง่ายๆ โดยคงถูไถไปได้อีกระยะสั้นๆ เพราะแรงหนุนจากคนระดับล่างที่ยังชื่นชอบนโยบายประชานิยม ด้าน "ผาสุก" เผย ล้มทักษิณยากหากกลุ่มธุรกิจขนาดใหญ่ไม่ออกมาร่วมวง เชื่อ ทักษิณ สู้หัวชนฝาเพื่อปกป้องครอบครัว พวกพ้อง หวั่นปฏิรูปการเมืองถูกซื้อส่วน "เอนก" ชี้ทักษิณไม่ลาออก เพราะกลัวถูกยึดทรัพย์ "แฉ" ดอดพบผู้ใหญ่ให้ช่วยแต่ถูกปฏิเสธ

วันที่ 6 มีนาคม ที่ห้องประชุมชั้น 5 อาคารเนชั่น ได้มีการจัดเสวนาในหัวข้อ "ฝ่าทางตัน วิกฤติการเมือง " มีผู้เข้าร่วมเสวนา ได้แก่ ดร.อัมมาร สยามวาลา นักวิชาการเกียรติคุณ สถาบันวิจัยเพื่อการพัฒนาประเทศไทย,นายโคทม อารียา ผู้อำนวยการศูนย์ศึกษาและพัฒนาสันติวิธี มหาวิทยาลัยมหิดล , นายชัยวัฒน์ สถาอานันท์ อาจารย์ประจำคณะรัฐศาสตร์ มหาวิทยาลัยธรรมศาสตร์ ,ดร.ผาสุก พงษ์ไพจิตร ศาสตราจารย์ประจำคณะเศรษฐศาสตร์ จุฬาลงกรณ์มหาวิทยาลัย, นายทองใบ ทองเปาด์ สมาชิกวุฒิสภาจังหวัดมหาสารคาม , ดร.เอนก เหล่าธรรมทัศน์ นักวิชาการด้านรัฐศาสตร์ และอดีตหัวหน้าพรรคมหาชน

ดร.ผาสุก กล่าวว่า การที่พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ชินวัตร รักษาการนายกรัฐมนตรี สามารถนำคนนับแสนมาฟังการปราศรัยเมื่อวันที่ 3 มีนาคม ที่ผ่านมา ส่วนหนึ่งเกิดจากผู้คนชื่นชมนโยบายประชานิยม หรือระบบทักษิณ และอีกส่วนหนึ่งเกิดจากอำนาจรัฐ ที่มีส่วนช่วยทำให้คนมาฟังการปราศรัยจำนวนมาก แต่ในท้ายที่สุดนโยบายประชาชานิยมของพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ไม่ใช่ของจริง เพราะไม่ใช่นโยบายเพื่อคนจนที่แท้จริง แต่เป็นนโยบายปกป้องสถานะเพื่อพวกมหาเศรษฐี ซึ่งระบบป้องพวกมหาเศรษฐีสร้างความสุ่มเสี่ยงต่อระบบการเมืองประชาธิปไตย และเศรษฐกิจ แต่ผู้น้อยในสังคมไทยจะมองว่าระบบประชาธิปไตยจะให้อะไรกับเขาได้บ้าง ซึ่งที่ผ่านมากลุ่มคนเหล่านี้ไม่เคยได้รับสิ่งเหล่านี้จากการเมืองไทยในอดีตมาก่อน

ดร.ผาสุก กล่าวต่อว่า แต่ต่อไปผู้น้อยเหล่านี้จะประจักษ์ว่านโยบายประชาชานิยมปกป้องเศรษฐีเป็นอันดับแรก ไม่ใช่กลุ่มผู้น้อยในสังคม ซึ่งระบบทักษิณจะไม่ยั่งยืน และในที่สุดกลุ่มผู้น้อยก็จะตั้งพรรคขึ้นมาเอง โดยไม่พึ่งพาผู้นำแบบอัศวินม้าขาว แบบทักษิณอีกต่อไป ไม่ต้องการผู้นำที่ปล้นเศรษฐกิจ สังคม และการเมืองไทย

ดร.ผาสุก กล่าวว่า สำหรับความยากในการล้มระบบทักษิณ มีปัจจัยสำคัญประกอบด้วย ภาคเศรษฐกิจนอกระบบ ได้แก่พวก เกษตรกรรายย่อย คนหาเช้ากินค่ำ แรงงานอพยพ สลัม คนทำงานโรงงาน ซึ่งคนเหล่านี้ไม่เงินประจำ โดยมีอัตราส่วน 70-75% และอัตราส่วนดังกล่าวใกล้เคียงกับอัตราส่วนของผู้ที่ออกไปใช้สิทธิเลือกตั้งสนับสนุนพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ

"ก่อนหน้าที่พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ จะเข้ามาเป็นนายกฯ กลุ่มคนเหล่านี้ไม่เคยได้ประโยชน์อะไรจากรัฐบาลที่ผ่านมา ให้เพียงคำสัญญา แต่พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ดูเหมือนจะสามารถเข้าใจ และจัดการกับคนเหล่านี้ได้ จะเห็นได้จากกลุ่มสมัชชาคนจนไม่ได้ร่วมเคลื่อนไหวกับกลุ่มพันธมิตรประชาชนเพื่อประชาธิปไตย แต่ขอเจรจาแยกส่วนออกมาต่างหาก ขณะที่กลุ่มชนชั้นกลางคิดว่าจะผลัก พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณออกไปได้เหมือนอดีตที่เคยผลักผู้นำเผด็จการทหาร แต่ผู้นำเผด็จการทหารเหล่านั้นไม่ได้รับแรงสนับสนุนจากมวลชนเหมือนที่พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณมี " ดร.ผาสุก กล่าว

ดร.ผาสุก กล่าวต่อว่า สำหรับวิกฤติความชอบธรรมที่กำลังเกิดขึ้นของรัฐบาลทักษิณ โดยเน้นไปที่เรื่องจริยธรรม จะเห็นว่าการที่คนจำนวนมาก ในปี 2544 เคยยอมรับและคาดหวังว่าพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ จะมาช่วยปกป้องจากทุนนิยมสุดขั้วที่ทำลายสังคมไทย แต่บัดนี้กลุ่มคนเหล่านี้ออกมาปฎิเสธพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ เพราะไม่ยอมรับค่านิยมธุรกิจขนาดใหญ่ เพราะกลายเป็นทุนนิยมผูกขาด ที่ให้ต่างชาติเข้าครอบงำเศรษฐกิจไทย

"การขายหุ้นชินคอร์ปฯ ทำให้เห็นชัดเจนว่าคุณทักษิณเป็นายทุนใหญ่ที่สนับสนุนระบบโลกาภิวัฒน์ ยังไม่รวมถึงกรณีการขาดจริยธรรม พร้อมทำผิดกฎหมายโดยคุณทักษิณคิดว่าอำนาจของตัวเองทำให้ตนหลุดจากการค้นพบว่าตนทำผิดกฎหมาย" ดร.ผาสุก กล่าว

ดร.ผาสุก กล่าวว่า การที่กลุ่มคนที่เคยลงคะแนนให้พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ไม่ยอมรับธุรกิจขนาดใหญ่ ซึ่งเอื้อให้ต่างชาติเข้ามาครอบงำหรือโครงการเมกกะโปรเจกของรัฐบาลที่ทำประเทศในเอเชียสนใจที่จะมาลงทุนในประเทศไทยก็จะรู้สึกเสียดายหากไม่มีพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณเป็นนายกฯ เพราะจะทำให้ประเทศเหล่านั้นพลาดโอกาสในการลงทุนเมกกะโปรเจกในไทย ตรงนี้จึงเป็นแรงหนุนให้พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ อยู่ต่อ

ดร.ผาสุก กล่าวต่อว่า การเลือกตั้งที่กำลังจะเกิดขึ้นครั้งนี้ไม่ใช่การเลือกตั้งธรรมดา จะเป็นการลงประชามติเกี่ยวกับพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ เพราะพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ได้ประกาศต่อประชาชนที่ท้องสนามหลวงว่าถ้าพรรคไทยรักไทยได้คะแนนไม่ถึง 50% จะไม่เป็นนายกฯ และบอกว่าจะปฎิรูปรัฐธรรมนูญภายใน 9-15 เดือน และขอให้คนไปเลือกตั้งและที่พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณไม่ยอมลาออกอย่างแน่นอน เพราะมันเกี่ยวข้องกับพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ และคนในครอบครัว รวมทั้งข้าราชการที่หาช่องไม่ให้พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ผิดกฎหมาย ต้องพากันล้มระเนระนาดไปด้วย ทำให้พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณสู้หัวชนฝา และต้องการควบคุมการปฎิรูปการเมือง เพราะพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ เชื่อว่าเงินซื้อทุกอย่างได้ อย่างที่เคยซื้อ ส.ส.,ส.ว.และผู้พิพากษาบางคนมาแล้วด้วย ดังนั้น จะมีอะไรมารับประกันว่าการปฎิรูปการเมืองจะไม่ถูกพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณซื้อไปด้วย

"ประเด็นจริยธรรมที่กำลังหยิบยกมาพูดกันในขณะนี้แรงไม่พอ เท่ากับการพิสูจน์การทำผิดกฎหมายซึ่งพิสูจน์ไม่ได้ตราบใดที่พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ยังอยู่ในอำนาจ เนื่องจากพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ยังไม่ได้รับการพิสูจน์ว่าทำผิดกฎหมายและมีมวลชนหนุนอยู่มาก ทำให้สามารถใช้วิธีประชาธิปไตยแก้ปัญหาต่อไปได้ แม้ว่ากลุ่มเศรษฐีจะไม่ได้ซาบซึ้งกับกระบวนการประชาธิปไตยเลย แต่สามารถนำกระบวนการประชาธิปไตยมาใช้ประโยชน์ เพื่อเข้าสู่อำนาจ" ดร.ผาสุก กล่าว

ดร.ผาสุก กล่าวว่า ที่กล่าวมาทั้งหมดไม่อยากให้เข้าใจว่าสนับสนุนพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ไม่ให้ออกจากตำแหน่ง แต่วิธีการทำให้ออกเป็นอย่างไรเป็นอีกเรื่อง แต่ในขณะนี้พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ยังสามารถถูไถต่อไปได้ในกรอบเวลาหนึ่ง แต่การจะให้พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ออกต้องมีกลุ่มนักธุรกิจขนาดใหญ่ที่เป็นตัวจริงร่วมมาขับไล่พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณด้วย เมื่อถึงเวลานั้นแม้จะถูไถไปได้ก็อาจอยู่ไม่รอด แม้จะไม่เกิดอุบัติเหตุใดๆ ก็ตาม

ดร.อัมมาร กล่าวว่า พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ คงถูไถต่อไปได้ตามกรอบของรัฐธรรมนูญ ในระยะเวลา 6 เดือนถึง 1 ปี พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณยังสามารถฝ่าไปได้ เพราะคนจนได้รับการดูแล โดยการออกนโยบายเน้นให้ประโยชน์กับคนทั่วประเทศ เช่น การพักชำระหนี้ 30 บาทรักษาทุกโรค ทำให้พรรคไทยรักไทยได้รับความนิยม ซึ่งทำให้กลุ่มคนระดับปัญญาชนที่ไม่ต้องการพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ รู้สึกกระอักกระอ่วนในการสู้กับมหาชน เพราะประเด็นจริยธรรมมันขายไม่ออก แต่ปัจจุบันพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ กำลังทำการเมืองเหมือนสมัยก่อน สัญญามั่วไปหมด เพราะตอนนี้รัฐบาลไม่มีเงิน เห็นได้จากหลายโครงการเริ่มถอย แต่กว่าจะรู้ก็กินเวลานาน เวลานี้เศรษฐกิจเริ่มหนืด

นอกจากนี้ ดร.อัมมาร กล่าวว่า ภาคธุรกิจถ้าจะโดดลงมาร่วมวงกับกลุ่มพันธมิตรฯ ก็ต้องแน่ใจว่าพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณมีแนวโน้มจะออกแน่นอน แต่ที่ผ่านมาภาคธุรกิจไม่ออกมาต้านพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณเลย เพราะถ้าพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ไม่ล้มกลุ่มธุรกิจก็จะถูกเล่นงานกลับ ดังนั้น ต้องมีพลังมากพอจึงจะทำให้พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ลาออก

"ลองคิดทางเลือกสำหรับพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ คิดว่ายุบสภาเป็นไม้ตายแรก จากนั้นต้องคิดว่าหลังเลือกตั้งคุณทักษิณจะทำอะไรอะไรบ้าง หากมีกลุ่มพันธมิตรฯ ยังออกมาเคลื่อนไหวต่อต้านเขาอยู่ ซึ่งดูจากนิสัยคุณทักษิณคงไม่หงอ เพราะซีอีโอก็คือซีอีโอ เพื่อให้งานเดินต่อไปได้ และมั่นใจว่าคุณทักษิณไม่ออกอย่างเชื่องๆ ดันต่อไปเพราะเครื่องมือรัฐบาลมีมาก นอกจากนี้ ยังเชื่อว่าหากจะมีทหารออกมาล้มคุณทักษิณก็คงไม่มีใครออกมาต่อต้านการกระทำของทหาร" ดร.อัมมาร กล่าว

ดร.เอนก กล่าวว่า ไม่คิดว่าทฤษฏี 2 นคราประชาธิปไตยจะมาถึงเร็ว ตอนนี้คนเมืองชุมนุมให้พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณลาออกทั้งในกรุงเทพฯ และต่างจังหวัด ที่ว่า พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณได้รับการยอมรับจากคนชนบทนั้น แต่ตนเห็นว่าคนชนบทไม่ได้มีบทบาทกับการเมืองแบบนี้ในช่วงนี้ เพราะคนชนบทจะมีบทบาทเฉพาะช่วงเลือกตั้งเท่านั้น จึงมองว่าอนาคตรัฐบาลถึงทางตัน เพราะในสภามีเพียงพรรคเดียวทำให้รัฐบาลถูกต่อต้านตั้งแต่แรก ขณะนี้ยังพอวิ่งได้บ้างแต่ทางตัน ดังนั้นเดี๋ยวก็ตันอยู่ดี เพราะถนนที่พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ กำลังวิ่งมันตัน สิ่งที่พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณกลัว คือ การไม่ได้รักษาการนายกฯ กลัวคนภายนอกซึ่งไม่ใช่คนในคณะรัฐมนตรีขึ้นมารักษาการแทน กลัวถูกยึดทรัพย์

"คุณทักษิณ จึงไปหา"ผู้ใหญ่"เพื่อหาหลักประกันว่า ถ้ายอมลาออกจะไม่ถูกยึดทรัพย์ แต่ผู้ใหญ่คนดังกล่าวบอกว่าไม่สามารถให้หลักประกันอะไรได้คุณทักษิณ จึงหมดทางเลือก และเชื่อกลุ่มจงรักภักดีที่อยู่กับตน แต่เงินไม่สามารถซื้อได้ทุกอย่าง บางครั้งเงินก็มาผิดเวลา ในอดีตผมไม่เคยเห็นราชสกุลนับ 10 คน ลงชื่อในฎีกาเพื่อขอนายกฯพระราชทาน อย่างที่กำลังเกิดขึ้นในขณะนี้มาก่อน ดังนั้นถ้าจะสู้กับคุณทักษิณต้องสู้ด้วยความดีงาม ความถูกต้อง จะเห็นว่าขณะนี้การต่อสู้สันติวิธีมากขึ้น มวลชนแปลกไปจากการเคลื่อนไหวในอดีต มีการระมัดระวังมากขึ้น ตำรวจยกระดับหลบกลุ่มมวลชน ทหารอยู่ในกรมกองมากขึ้น ดังนั้น จึงเชื่อว่าจะไม่เกิดเหตุการณ์อย่าง"พฤษภาทมิฬ "ซึ่งในทางยุทธศาสตร์ รัฐบาลระบอบทักษิณหมดไปนานแล้ว แต่ตัวทักษิณยังอยู่ หลังสังคมตื่นต้องทำอะไรให้มากขึ้น และเชื่อมั่นว่าคุณทักษิณอยู่ได้ไม่นาน" ดร.เอนก กล่าว

ดร.เอนก กล่าวว่า ถ้า พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณต้องการให้ประชาชนยอมรับ เมื่อผ่านการเลือกตั้งครั้งนี้ไปแล้วจะต้องรีบแก้ไขรัฐธรรมนูญแล้วยุบสภา เพื่อให้ฝ่ายค้านเข้ามาร่วมลงเลือกตั้ง ถ้าไม่ทำเช่นนี้กลุ่มพันธมิตรฯ ซึ่งชุมนุมโดยสงบก็จะมีปฎิกิริยารุนแรงขึ้น เช่นปิดล้อมทำเนียบฯ

ต่อข้อถามที่ว่าหากจะล้มพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ จะเกิดคนระดับรากหญ้าออกมาปกป้องพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณและต่อต้านกลุ่มคนที่ออกมาขับไล่พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณหรือไม่ ดร.เอนก กล่าวว่า ตนไม่เชื่อว่าคนระดับรากหญ้าจะออกมาต่อต้าน เพราะคนกลุ่มนี้ไม่ติดยึดที่ตัวบุคคล เพียงแค่ต้องการเพียงแค่การดำรงชีวิตที่ดีขึ้นเท่านั้น

ด้าน นายโคทม กล่าวว่า ที่พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณบอกว่า ถอยจนเข้ามุมแล้ว เหมือนกำหนดให้คนอื่นเดินตามหรือเบี่ยงเบนประเด็น อย่างเช่น รัฐธรรมนูญ มาตรา 214 เป็นเรื่องเกี่ยวกับการลงประชามติเกี่ยวกับนโยบายต่างๆ แต่ที่พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณกำลังนำมาใช้ในการเลือกตั้งวันที่ 2เมษายน คือ การลงประชามติเกี่ยวกับตัวบุคคล ซึ่งทำไม่ได้

"สมมุติถ้าการเลือกตั้งวันที่ 2 เมษายน มีคนไปเลือกตั้ง 70% หรือ 30 ล้านคน ซึ่งจากสถิติที่ผ่านมา 2 ครั้งก็มีคนมาใช้สิทธิประมาณนี้ ซึ่งครั้งนี้คุณทักษิณบอกว่า หากพรรคไทยรักไทยได้คะแนนไม่ถึงครึ่งของผู้ออกมาใช้สิทธิลงคะแนน ก็จะไม่เป็นนายกฯ ก็คือประมาณ 15 ล้านเสียง ซึ่งครั้งที่แล้วพรรคไทยรักไทยได้ 19 ล้านเสียง การเกณฑ์คนมาลงคะแนนแบบไม่ลงคะแนนให้ใครทำได้ยากกว่า การเกณฑ์คนมาลงคะแนนให้กับคนหนึ่งคนใดเสียอีก" นายโคทม กล่าว

นายโคทม กล่าวว่า การต่อสู้จะยืดเยื้อยกเว้นเจออุบัติเหตุอื่น รัฐบาล พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ จะสามารถบริหารต่อไปได้แต่ลำบาก ต่างฝ่ายต่างเดินซึ่งที่จริง น่าจะหันหน้าเข้าหากัน ไม่ใช่เดินหน้าฝ่ายเดียว ซึ่งพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ขาดการฟัง ขาดความสม่ำเสมอเป็นคนมีหลายบุคลลิก เราควรนำ "ทฤษฏีเกมส์"มาใช้บ้าง โดยการมองว่าพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ จะคิดและกำลังทำอะไรต่อไป ที่ผ่านมาพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ เป็นทรราชย์มาตลอด เช่นการนำระบบ ซีอีโอมาใช้ และการที่พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณไม่ฟังใคร ยกเว้นคนใกล้ชิด

ส่วน นายชัยวัฒน์ กล่าวว่า ส่วนตัวเห็นว่าถึงอย่างไรพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ก็ต้องออก เหตุผลที่ต้องออก คือ สิ่งที่กำลังเกิดขึ้น หรือที่กลุ่มพันธมิตรฯ ใช้คำว่า "อารยะขัดขืน" หรือที่หลายคนเรียกว่าดื้อแพ่ง ปัจจุบันสังคมไทยใกล้ศีลธรรม ดังนั้นสิ่งที่พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณทำภายใต้เงื่อนไขประชาธิปไตย แม้ว่ามีคนในสังคมไม่ชอบพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ แต่พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณก็ยังสามารถอยู่ได้ นอกจากนี้สังคมได้มีเกณฑ์หลายอย่างปะทะกัน พรรคไทยรักไทยพยายามผลักดันให้มีการเลือกตั้ง เพราะรู้ว่าตัวเองได้เปรียบ แ