Push For 10 More Thai Herbs To Be Added To National Drug List

webfact

Push for 10 more Thai herbs to be added to National Drug List
The Nation

30201742-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry has announced a plan to push for an additional 10 Thai herbs to be put on the National Drug List in the next three years.

Public Health Minister Pradit Sinthawanarong presided over the signing of a memorandum of understanding (MoU) between the Development of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine Department (DTTAMD), the Food and Drug Administration and the Medical Sciences Department for the listing of the herbs.

Pradit said the current National Drug List, which has 878 items, contains 71 Thai herbs, or 8 per cent of the total.

DTTAMD chief Somchai Nijpanich said studies were being conducted to back the request for the addition of the herbs subject to the MoU.

The 10 herbs are Puerariamirifica (khao kreua khao), mulberry, turmeric, turmeric extract, Bacopa monnieri (promi), Curcuma xanthoriza (wan chak modluk), Kaempferia parviflora (krachai dam), Gynostemma phataphyllum (panjakhan), chilli and guava leaf.

Somchai also said the value of Thai herb usage at nationwide hospitals last year reached Bt360 million, or 1.82 per cent of all the medicines used.

Food and Drug Administration chief Boonchai Somboonsuk said his agency is formulating a good-manufacturing-practice standard for herbal medicines.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-12

<deleted> turmeric ? chilly leaves ?

formulating a good-manufacturing-practice standard for herbal medicines.

this means they have to find a way to patent these

while they are at it why not put green papaya and mango on the list as well

or cinnamon whish is great against yr sore throat when having a cold

"The 10 herbs are Puerariamirifica (khao kreua khao), mulberry, turmeric, turmeric extract, Bacopa monnieri (promi), Curcuma xanthoriza (wan chak modluk), Kaempferia parviflora (krachai dam), Gynostemma phataphyllum (panjakhan), chilli and guava leaf"

blink.png

The more herbs we can ban the better for the pharmaceutical industry. The more we ban the more opertuinity we give to the black market.The medicinal properties in Thai herbs far outweigh the narcotics properties..

• Like 1

Its fkin pathetic when you try to BAN something that grows naturally in the wild just think about that for a second and how stupid it really is and yes i am talking about weed as well even though I am not a smoker of it.

Now I understand if something is manufactured like cocaine and that is understandable but a natural plant or herb that has grown on the earth since time began NOW THAT IS REALLY bordering on the insane and there is an obvious reason for that which is most likely money.

• Like 2

Sounds to me like they just want to try and standardize the quality.

Like any other weed, which most of these could be classified as, it's impossible to stop weeds from growing, just ask the US government which has wasted trillions trying to stop cannabis from growing.

Just checked the first one and see it's sold as a natural breast enlarger. (like what Uncle Rico was selling!)

Maybe they're letting snake oil salesmen dictate their national drugs policy.

Understand why they would ban this. It is a definite threat to the lady in Bangkok who has the breast slapping shop that enlarges little breasts. I was going to apply for a job there but my old gf found out and threatened me with her straight razor again smile.png.

The more herbs we can ban the better for the pharmaceutical industry. The more we ban the more opertuinity we give to the black market.The medicinal properties in Thai herbs far outweigh the narcotics properties..

?????unsure.png Seems like it is the other way round thumbsup.gif

Total Insanity! I have been in the Herb, Spice & Nutraceautical business for over 20 years. Have a degree in Molecular Chemistry and specialize in botanicals. Ran a factory in the USA for 15 years and am very familiar with "Good Manufacturing Practices" and had regular dealings and inspections with the USA FDA - who are known to be quite tough with what they allow on the market. But, even my contacts at the FDA would laugh at this list.

As someone said previously, - this is a list compiled by people who are on the "take", to make $$$ for other people.

Most of these herbs are benign - with one or two exceptions. Turmeric ? One of the most promising natural herbs to combat cancer cells. It has been proven in numerous major studies by respected Universities, - that curcumin (the main active compound in turmeric), kills cancer cells.

Need I say any more?

Insanity at it's best !

Just wanted to add another laughable point. Mulberry is on that list.

So, say good bye to the silk worms and the silk industry and the "Smooth As Silk" motto by Thai Airlines.

Where are these people minds at? How can one ban Mulberry - and for what?

Did I miss something?

As Paz states there is no mention that any of these herbs are to be added to the BANNED drugs list only that they should be added to the drugs list for medicinal purposes???

• Like 1

Good grief, Turmeric?

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/turmeric-000277.htm

So, let's ban all the things that have potential health benefits and keep piling on the MSG.

Tumeric has incredible healing properties, it's such a beneficial herb and it's outlandish that this herb would be banned. The only reason I can see is that it is healing and herbal and thus a detraction from pharmaceutical profits from large firms to put out drugs and chemicals that are not half as wonderful as Tumeric. It's sick.

Total Insanity! I have been in the Herb, Spice & Nutraceautical business for over 20 years. Have a degree in Molecular Chemistry and specialize in botanicals. Ran a factory in the USA for 15 years and am very familiar with "Good Manufacturing Practices" and had regular dealings and inspections with the USA FDA - who are known to be quite tough with what they allow on the market. But, even my contacts at the FDA would laugh at this list.

As someone said previously, - this is a list compiled by people who are on the "take", to make $$$ for other people.

Most of these herbs are benign - with one or two exceptions. Turmeric ? One of the most promising natural herbs to combat cancer cells. It has been proven in numerous major studies by respected Universities, - that curcumin (the main active compound in turmeric), kills cancer cells.

Need I say any more?

Insanity at it's best !

Molecular Chemistry????????!!!

Was non-molecular chemistry also available at your school?blink.png

Edited by partington
  • Like 1

Need I say any more?

Insanity at it's best !

For such an educated & successful person (you claim), it appears you're a bit short in the common-sense department. These ten substances are NOT BANNED. They are being considered for APPROVAL!

Jeez... are paz and gwynt the only posters in this thread who have any reading comprehension?

• Like 2

Points taken. My mistake.

In the USA and Australia and other markets, when a herb is being considered to be on a drug list, they are not allowed to be on the GRASS list (generally recognized as safe), - and cannot be used as a freely available product or ingredient. So, I accept that I jumped the gun - if this is not the case.

Points taken. My mistake.

In the USA and Australia and other markets, when a herb is being considered to be on a drug list, they are not allowed to be on the GRASS list (generally recognized as safe), - and cannot be used as a freely available product or ingredient. So, I accept that I jumped the gun - if this is not the case.

Same thinking here.

It is my understanding that if a substance is placed on a Drugs List, the sale or use of it becomes restricted..... i.e. Turmeric is available if you have a prescription for it.

What good reason for not allowing these natural materials onto the National Medical approved list ? . . . as long as they have been through the same extensive testing procedure as all other approved medicinal products ? Otherwise, no thank you.

I think there is a misunderstanding here, stemming from the potentially ambiguous English word "drug". In the article it is being used in the sense of "medicine", that is these herbs are proposed be officially recognized to have some curative property. That doesn't mean they will be banned, or required a prescription to be bought, or that they will be patented.

Illegal drugs have nothing to do with all that.

I think that the above post by Paz, is probably the most relevant in this whole dialogue so far. The problem is when a headline says that they are being considered as a drug category, - we all use the western standards of what that means.

I certainly did that, - because as I said in a previous post, a "drug" category" means it is taken off the availability list.

Hence all the confusion (including me).

If in Thailand it just means that it will be accepted as an alternative medicine, - then it is a victory, - a plus, not a minus.

Therefore, I eat humble pie and leave it as is. It is a good thing.

?????unsure.png Seems like it is the other way round thumbsup.gif

Amazing negative Farang-Thailand – The mentioned 10 herbal drugs are added to "the good list" wink.png