Bicycle Unfriendly Roads Downtown

Deserted

HI guys, I started entering the city on my bike about a month ago and generally enjoy it. However, I went to visit a friend the other day and went along a section of Praram 9. It was a pretty unpleasant experience I can tell you as the way the expressway joins up with it makes it very difficult for cyclists in places. I was wondering if anyone could mention any other roads downtown that cyclists should try to avoid.

ok, but I was hoping for personal accounts of which roads are more difficult than others. It was through using google earth that I slipped up as you can't see the sections of the road underneath the expressway, some of which were very unpleasant to cycle along.

ok, but I was hoping for personal accounts of which roads are more difficult than others. It was through using google earth that I slipped up as you can't see the sections of the road underneath the expressway, some of which were very unpleasant to cycle along.

I understand your problem. I am in east Bangkok, Prawet. Not sure what you mean with "Downtown". But sure it is somewhere in central Bangkok smile.png

Generally spoken from my experience you should avoid all bigger roads if they do not have a decent sideway that is separate from the street. Most bigger roads do NOT have this. And if they have than most likely the sideway is crowded with small food sellers and such things. So best is to avoid big streets. The bigger the more dangerous for cyclists. Sad but true imo sad.png

It took me a long time to find out where to cycle best in my area. Explore your area and try to find small gaps. You will be suprised what possibilities there are sometimes. You will most likely not find them on maps. So the only option is try and error imo.

Yeah, I guess a main consideration is the volume of traffic. For example I noticed that cycling along Suriwong road is much more pleasant than Silom. I guess its finding the less used roads downtown. I wonder if there is a map for volume of traffic in BKK?

I love bicycling and live in downtown BKK.

But the way Thais drive, and with the bigger roads often having many buses traveling in the curb lane, and the way motorcycles go everywhere (including on sidewalks and down the wrong way on the roads), I've never felt safe riding here anywhere that's open to car/motorcycle traffic.

And unfortunately, it's not just dangerous in the crowded city, but out in the country too...because of the careless way in which too many drivers operate.

Driver in British cyclists' fatal road accident released on bail
By Digital Media

CHACHOENGSAO,
Feb 18 - Police said here on Monday the driver of a pickup truck who allegedly hit a British couple while they were on a world tour cycling
in Chachoengsao
last Wednesday has been released on bail and will face a charge of dangerous driving leading to the death of others.

Peter Root and Mary Thompson, both 34, were killed when hit by the pickup
truck while cycling on the Route 304 Phnom Sarakam-Kabinburi Road in
this eastern province.

Police Lt-Col Supachai Loangsukcharoen said the bodies of the couple are being kept at a charity association in
the province pending their family's collection. The British embassy has
contacted the local authorities to bring their bodies back to the UK.

Col Supachai said driver Worapong Sangkhawat, 25, who was seriously injured
in the crash, has been released on bail after posting Bt300,000 bail
bond.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/620209-driver-in-british-cyclists-fatal-road-accident-released-on-bail/?hl=+bicyclists

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

But I think the majority of drivers downtown are ok, the volume of traffic means they have to have their eyes peeled. There are some that are dangerous but they account for a small percentage of those on the road. I would agree that the buses and motorcycles are your main problem though.

Klong Cyclists has some routes on it Bangkok.

http://khlong-cyclist.wetpaint.com/

Bicycle Thailand has some but the Phra Pradaeng – Bicycle Touring Route is good to excapde Bangkok (and it's very close to downtown)

http://bicyclethailand.com/phra-pradaeng-bicycle-touring-route/

Paul

I regularly go to Bangkrachao (Phra Pradaeng). It is ideal at this time of the year as there are so many trees you are mainly in the shade, as opposed to burning to a crisp on Bang Na Trat or Onnuch roads, roads I will return to when it starts to cool down a bit. For now I will continue crossing the river at Sanpawut as it is much more convenient for me and so much easier than the cross near Klong Toey.

As to roads to avoid, I haven't really come across any. I have ridden Rama IX and found it okay, Sukhumvit from Tonglor to Bang Poo, Bang Na Trat, Srinakarin, Onnuch, Ramkamhaeng, and many others. What I have found is that you get some careless drivers who pass much too close, especially big trucks. That is unavoidable anywhere. If you are easily startled, it could be dangerous.

Yeah, you certainly get those. I find that you have to keep one eye on traffic, and one eye on spaces that appear, as sure enough someone will dive into a space that appears, they won't necessarily see you.

I went along Sukhumvit twice last week. The section between Ploen Chit and Nana was absolutely rammed. Not pleasant but not dangerous too, as nothing could move.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience almost all roads in Bangkok are "bicycle unfriendly", since you are forced to share dirty roads with even dirtier cars and their often careless drivers. Only less frequented small Sois and residential roads are reasonably safe to ride, although probably not very interesting. You really have to go out into the country for a pleasant cycling experience. But then Bangkok (and most of central Thailand) is completely flat, which makes it quite boring, at least for me as an MTB rider. Road cycling enthusiasts probably have a different point of view.

Cheers, CM-Expat