Advice For Cabbies In Phuket

thefusilier

Hi,

I'm living in Bangkok and am used to the taxis and such here. However, I'm heading down to Phuket for the first time and heard the cab situation is awful. I heard you can get a metered taxi across the street from the airport, but getting back is a problem. Anyone have any advice or suggestions on how not to get too ripped off while I'm there?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm living in Bangkok and am used to the taxis and such here. However, I'm heading down to Phuket for the first time and heard the cab situation is awful. I heard you can get a metered taxi across the street from the airport, but getting back is a problem. Anyone have any advice or suggestions on how not to get too ripped off while I'm there?

Thanks

Walk out of the terminal in phuket and the meter taxis are located to your left on the far side of the parking lot. They charge 100 bht surcharge for operating out of the airport.

You could try going to departures concourse and doing a deal with a cabbie dropping off. I reckon 400bht is OK for the sake of an argument. Let us know how you get on! I'm there in June!

Edited by spacebass

You could try going to departures concourse and doing a deal with a cabbie dropping off. I reckon 400bht is OK for the sake of an argument. Let us know how you get on! I'm there in June!

Noi chance with an official limo andI can't say I'd advise hanging around trying to find an unofficial taxi for the sake of saving 50 baht.

Meter taxis are by far the best and cheapest way, about 450 baht to Karon (Patong is nearer) including the surcharge.

Edited by madmitch